main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC In this thread, we will discuss the phrase " in this thread"

Discussion in 'Community' started by Placeholder, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I think "In this thread" is a very useful phrase, especially on websites like this one which feature threads. When you come across "In this thread" you know that whatever follows will be featured in the thread which features the phrase "In this thread" in it's title.

As an example, if I were to title a thread "In this thread we discuss pictures of fish" you would expect to see pictures of fish such as this one

[​IMG]

the reason being that pictures of fish immediatly follows in the thread title "In this thread". By reading that, it is clear that in this thread there will be pictures of fish.

You can do that with almost anything, the possibilities are seemingly endless. If we were to discuss the idea that there are such limitless possibilities we could start a thread entitiled, "In this thread we discuss the seemingly limitless ways in which to use the thread starter "In this thread".

Thoughts?

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  2. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Good Job Professor!
    I will elaborate on the fish, its dorsal fins are colorful.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  4. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I don't believe we are discussing tumbleweeds in this thread. If we were it would feature a title. such as "In this thread we will discuss tumbleweeds." Something like that. You get the general idea.

5. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    It also looks like it's wearing a blindfold or perhaps a mask. It may be some sort of fish outlaw, or perhaps a fish being led to a surprise. It's hard to say, I don't know a lot about fish.

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    It's a visual metaphor, sport, for the creative desert that is this thread concept. It's almost meta, trying to be a parody of parody threads. Touch overcooked, I'm afraid to say. Hence the image.

epic likes this.
  7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    You are not Andalite-Bandit.

8. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Oh I see. Perhaps we should start a thread titled "In this thread we use visual metaphor as a critique on the parody of parody threads".

9. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    If only...

10. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I concur

11. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    There was meant to be a quote to harps there. It didn't work, and now it won't let me edit. So based on other things it seems like I night have a virus and my previous post makes no sense. Also I just had an apple so I'm forced to type one-handed.:(

But this is not the first-world problems thread, so never mind.

12. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    In a moment of seriousness, and I'm not sure if you are being serious here or not, if you are having trouble editing are you by chance using Firefox? If you are, that's been a known issue here lately. It goes to a blank screen but if you use the more options button it will work.

In this thread we discuss (really) edit feature and problems with Firefox

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...ing-with-firefox-v-23.50014298/#post-51062304

13. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    Yeah that's been an issue for a few weeks and I figured out the solution on my own. I meant it literally wouldn't select the edit button when I clicked it.

EDIT: Figured out that an add-on stole away onto my browser without my knowledge. Think the problems are solved now.

14. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Good to hear. Computers make our lives easier, or so I've been told. They certainly seem to be a source of never ending frustration for something so easy!

15. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    In this thread, I find it appropriate to note that I find the phrase "in this thread" redundant in thread titles. Also, in another thread, I told people to come to this thread, because we are discussing the phrase "in this thread" in this thread and not in another thread.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  16. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i agree with Ender on this matter. i was kinda waiting for the punch line, or the moment of surreality, or something. it ended up just being rather banal. improvement is required.

17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The title needs brackets.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    ITT we post before a mod locks it.

19. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    I have to say, "In this thread" does strike me as something of a Zen koan. This has particularly fascinating possibilities when one branches out into string theory and knits the topics together.

20. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I better get that taken...

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought for the longest time that ITT stood for "idiotic thread topic".