main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit In Universe-Sci Fi/Fantasy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Invictus, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Hey this has been a question that has vexed me for quite a while-in the Star Wars universe what are their equivalents of Sci fi/fantasy. To give one obscure reference in a cut section of TEGW Admiral Motti degradingly dismisses the celestials as a bad sci fi plot.

What would science fiction in the GFFA look like? Intergalactic travel, alternate means of FTL, social critiques of giant corporations. Fantasy? Worlds with force like energy? Gods and what not real?

What do the inhabitants of the GFFA imagine?

2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I guess it would include time travel, for example. In canon, time travel is regarded as an impossible thing, and in Legends, well, there were only a few freak incidents involving it.

3. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Is there anything else you can imagine?

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the Medstar books, "instantly assembling a meal from base ingredients" is something in the sci-fi that reporter Den Dhur watches.

indydefense likes this.
  5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Quest for Quasar

Next Celebration I'm gonna bring a petition against Ottekvar. Y'all gotta sign.

cthugha likes this.
  6. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I assume some fantasy might involve inter-galactic travel (beyond the satellite galaxies). It seems galactic civilization hasn't sent any expeditions to other major galaxies at all.
    Maybe there's also alternate dimensions/realms. We've seen these in-universe, but to the populace at large, they might be seen as fantasy.
    Then there's this exchange:
    C-3PO: Is there anything I can do?
    Luke Skywalker: Not unless you can alter time, speed up the harvest or teleport me off this rock.

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Perhaps they take Force users to extremes. A group who know how to use Force Storms(comic book version) is capable of stopping ships from using hyperspace so they are able to force a monopoly on FTL travel.

Dragons who use technology to fashion ships which fit them like suits of dragon armor so they can flit about the galaxy.

Interesting to think that with quadrillions of beings with advanced technology and a holonet could contribute a ridiculously large sum of fan films.

Sturm Antilles likes this.
  8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Time travel and parallel universes are the two facets of standard sci-fi that leap out immediately as something GFFA cultures might explore in their own entertainment, yeah.

I imagine alt. history fiction in general might be fairly popular, too.

And, on the flip side:

"What if faster than light travel was impossible and people were stuck on one rock?"

A LONG TIME FROM NOW . . . IN A GALAXY FAR, FAR AWAY . . .

WORLD WARS

(And it goes without saying that they have Doctor Who over there, because that's one of the hallmarks of any civilised society)

9. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    The GFFA's sci-fi fans would grumble that no fictional bad guys ever instantly developed a superweapon or brought one back in a slightly new design. Other fans would retort that they came to sci-fi for escapism, not reality, and it was nice not to think about such terrifying threats for a few hours.

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    And nobody would agree on the distance from one city to another.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I can see something similar to cyber-, steam- and dieselpunk work in SW, at least on some words.

For fantasy I can see discussions on what real life (that is SW) species should exist/be represented in the discussed fantasy ‘verse

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Maybe historical fiction dealing with pre space flight societies,

Imagine an in-universe D&D equivalent with real Vong gods, the pius dea goddess, Cronal and all other kinds of crazy things!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    cthugha, achanes, Tzizvvt78 and 2 others like this.
  14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    That's interesting maybe have a Star Wars equivalent of the history channel huh?

What do you think of my D&D idea?

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    This is from the fanon thread, so not canon but I thought it could be of interest

16. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    BattleSun Odyssey.

Since Human Replica Droids were still incredibly rare and expensive during the Vong War, I'd imagine a show about Cylons impersonating sentients would actually be kinda terrifying in the GFFA, too.

17. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I would imagine that lost civilization tropes would be common. Stuff like Conan the Barbaran for example, where it ostensibly is set in these ancient kingdoms or civilizations (at least as accepted or postulated to a certain extent at the time) but with completely made up fantastic elements.

Actually considering that the wider cosmopolitan "galactic society" seems to essentially be non-religious, I could see religious works being a theme. The idea of gods interfering in sentient beings' affairs, fighting each other, bringing their followers into afterlives, etc.

I like the idea that the original BattleSun Odyssey dealt with the fears over HRDs and droid rights, and then the remake after the Vong War was a story about how sentients and droids were the same.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    what do you base this thesis on?

19. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    This is such a great thread.

20. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    What you all think of IU fantasy? Lots of mythological gods and stuff along with non-force "powers", post apocalyptic fiction set after Hyperspace collapses and everything reverts to STL, I could probably list ideas off all day!

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I'd like to think that stuff like matter replication, time travel and teleportation are heavily researched in some secret Imperial/New Republic lab.

22. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Most of what I would've said (time travel, teleportation, matter replication) has already been said.

I'm going to add - a lot of their sci-fi and equivalents probably also revolve around real people, like the Jedi, but their powers and missions in the stories bear no relation to reality. The same way classic sixties spy fiction is often closer to superhero comics than it is to anything spies do in real life, or the way pirate-related fiction draws more on fantasy than real life piracy.

Also some of their fiction may, ironically, parallel real life without them realizing it. By the time of the movies, the Sith have been extinct for a millennium, so people probably think of them the same way they do the Knights Templar or the Hassassin today - long dead, shrouded in myth and legend, fodder for conspiracy theories. I wouldn't be surprise at all if people in the GFFA played some version of Assassin's Creed or read some version of Dan Brown novels, in which the Sith had survived until the present day and were still scheming behind the scenes. They just wouldn't realize it's actually true.

cthugha, Sarge, Revanfan1 and 4 others like this.
  23. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Doesn't preclude them being the stuff of in-universe SF. We've been working on theoretical implementations of FTL in the real world for years, but it's still by necessity a staple of real-world SF.

24. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    That would be a cool fanfic...

What do you think their fantasy equivalent would be like?

25. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Are you being sarcastic?