main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit In Universe-Sci Fi/Fantasy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Invictus, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Visionaries was great. Especially after reading the Art of TFA, I really wish they would let the TFA art team do a sequel.

And it's actually a testament to that group that even though Visionaries was just "let the movie art people do their thing", three of the stories (Old Wounds, Entrenched, and Eyes of Revolution) went on to each have a decent impact on the Star Wars universe.

LelalMekha and darklordoftech like this.
  2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The only thing more bizarre than that story is the fact that someone decided it was in continuity.

3. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Sarge likes this.
  4. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I, for one, love that the Star Wars franchise (used to) allow stories like this to exist and "count." Not sure it's gonna happen again, sadly.

jSarek likes this.
  5. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Maybe we need to start a fanfic series exploring this?

CnlSandersdeKFC likes this.
  6. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    I like this idea. We could start our own pulp holomag ;)

"It was a night like any other on floor 537. Torb Allnsverb sat in the corner of the smoky room. Blitz' BBQ was a quite little bar & grill. Torb had finished off a rack of ribs 10 minuets earlier, and sat waiting for his client, who was running late. He took a long draw of his cigara, and cast a look across the room."

7. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    "Daeshara Shan pulled up her vibroblade and slug rifle, the dragon was still breathing. It moved its tail and rocks fell from the mountain on which they dueled. "So little so insignificant, I have eaten whole worlds! She didn't know how she hoped to succeed, the monster flicked his tail to the sky and fire fell from the sky.

His jaws got bigger and bigger, "I'm coming run!" A man in golden white robes with pointy ears and long glowing bronze sword came down from the sky. " Go into the abyss!" "Rawwwwwr!"

Daeashara ran and ran as the mountain lit up like a supernova.

Evening came... A young pointy eared man came back to the village drawling and trembling, "I have prevailed, I have prevailed!" The villagers gathered round and cheered louder than the earthquakes which periodically struck the planet." The young hero fell down with something in his back. "No no!" A large claw protruded from his back.

The young warrior was dead.

Daeashara left in the dropship alone. She did not speak as she found the hyperspace beacon outside the system.

"Victory is only victory if it is intermingled with tragedy." Shashaanada Quoradan-Jedi Lore keeper of Tython

cthugha and Sarge like this.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Gah! You two are horrible people and should be ashamed of yourselves. Somebody get me some brain bleach. Pour it right into my eyeballs, please!

9. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Your being sarcastic aren't you?

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Ya think?

11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
  12. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    http://web.archive.org/web/20100731...databank/character/slytherbushforb/index.html

Gamiel and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I can see things similar to Transformers, Thundercats and He-Man work rather well in SW

MercenaryAce likes this.
  14. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    The fact that this already exist pleases me to no end.

Edit: Except we'd be writing for an Imperial Audience, so alien protagonist are a no go if we want to get past the COMPNOR censorship bureau.

Daneira likes this.
  15. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    In a COMPNOR-approved holomovie, aliens would make perfectly acceptable antagonists. Especially those with long nails and a Fu Manchu moustache.

16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    So Aurra Sing's dad?

17. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Yes. Sing the Merciless.

18. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Any way what do you imagine IU fantasy sci fi religious and philosophical ideas would be like? With the reality of the force how do you think fantasy writers would handle the religious aspects of their IU work?

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Something along the line of the Ice Pirates could also work in as some kind of 'In an other galaxy, at a different time' story.
    Played by Max von Sydow.

I would say that would, like in RL, depend on the author and the story being told.

Sarge likes this.
  20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Has there been any more worldbuilding in this regard lately?

21. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    There never was much in legends, and I’m not especially aware of any in canon.

22. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Our modern sci-fi/fantasy genre only took off relatively recently in human history. Most previous myths were based on existing civilization. The Star Wars universe might be that way.

23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I don't see why in theory the SW universe couldn't have its own sci fi and fantasy.

It would likely look very different from ours given the vastly different context-the existence of multiple species, their histories, mythologies and literature, as well as what is possible-changes the dream as to what isn't but is imagined to be.

Sarge, Gamiel and The Positive Fan like this.