main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga In-universe who knows the full story of the Saga the best, especially on the good side?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Nerdling, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Since we have an omniscent point of view, we get to know everything's that's going on in the films apart from what the character's are thinking. However, in universe, nobody seems to know the whole story. It seems Palpatine knows the most since he's aware of all the diabolical behind-the-scenes political manipulations he's been up to, and by the end, he learns that Anakin's son survived and that Padme had a second child, though it's not clear he's ever met her or that he knows her name is Leia or that she's been raised by Bail Organa. Unless he used to Force to see them, he's also pretty much unaware of who Han Solo is, except that he played a part in destroying the 1st Death Star, or who Lando is, or that Jabba received Solo's carbonite encased body. Still, he seems like a good candidate for the character who knows the most.

On the good guy side, they seem to know a lot less. By the end of ROTS, Yoda and Obi-Wan seem to know that Palpatine is behind the war, but do they know that Dooku was working together with Palpatine to stage the war? Do they know that Dooku was Palpatine's apprentice or did they merely think that Dooku is a fallen Jedi and believe that he was actually opposed to Palpatine all along? Do they ever figure out that Palpatine was behind the Naboo/Trade Federation crisis or the creation of the clones?

Then, when you get to the OT, what "new" character there knows the most about the entire saga by the end? Luke? Leia? Artoo?

kainee likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the EU, in-universe accounts written a century later do include pretty much all of these things about Dooku, Palpatine's involvement with the clones, etc.

So, even if they don't know at the time of the movies- they eventually figure it out- possibly by going through Palpatine's private records.

kainee and DarthBoba like this.
  3. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    I would think that once they found out that Palpatine is a Sith Lord, they'd put two and two together and assume that Dooku was his apprentice.

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    In the making of ROTS book Lucas says the entire Saga is what is told to The Whills via R2-D2.

kainee and SlashMan like this.
  5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    R2-D2.

apparently his mind was never wiped, and he was present for just about all of the main events that went on that were responsible for the fate of the galaxy.

and I also remember in TCW series, I remember Obi-Wan constantly nagging Anakin to erase R2's mind and Anakin can never did it..

That Constantly being brought up makes me think that the fact that R2 never had his mind wiped
    has some significance...

kainee, darthfettus2015 and SlashMan like this.
  6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's an interesting possibility. In the EU his recordings of a few major events (including Padme's being attacked by Anakin/Vader) are finally seen by Luke in the Dark Nest trilogy- but it's possible that the Sequel Trilogy will also make his memories a plot point of their own.

kainee and darthfettus2015 like this.
  7. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I'd say it's pretty relevant that R2 and 3PO were present throughout the entire saga, and the Whills idea is entirely possible; R2 escaped having his memory erased, but 3PO had to, or else it would create a contradiction.

Though Dooku's association with the Sith was proven soon enough, I think the duel in the hangar was enough to convince the Jedi that he learned skills only a Sith could teach ("I have become more powerful than any Jedi"). Yoda and Obi-Wan still easily knew the most, while the few senators who went on to form the rebellion (Bail in particular) were also informed. Mace died before he could even learn much beyond the Palpatine being a Sith.

kainee likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Apparently, in the Radio Drama version of RoTJ, Threepio does know Vader is Luke's father:

Threepio: (MOVING ON) Pardon me, Master Luke? The Ewoks' victory celebration will be starting momentarily.
    Luke: I'll be right along, Threepio.
    Threepio: But first you're going to light Lord Vader's — that is, your father's — funeral pyre, sir?

but Luke may have told Threepio at some point- perhaps offscreen.

9. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    I know of the idea of Artoo telling the Keeper of Whills the story of the Saga (though I don't understand why a higher species so completely in touch with the Force wouldn't just know this by "sensing" what happened). However, how would Artoo learn of all of Palpatine's behind-the-scenes manipulations? Who told Artoo about all of that stuff?

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Luke, possibly, after doing the research.

11. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Yeah, I'd imagine there'd be some explanation as to why Luke went through the trouble of bringing back the body of the galaxy's most feared villain. Interestingly, he's kept it secret from Leia since the end of Empire, since he first broke the news to her on Endor. I'd imagine he wouldn't have told a loudmouth like 3PO before her.

On the flipside, I wonder if George did originally have plans for C-3PO to remember his past during the old Republic (though Lucas didn't necessarily always intend for Anakin to have built 3PO).

12. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    R2-D2 of course! He's behind everything, including the war.

darthfettus2015 and darth ladnar like this.
  13. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    That's become so widespread it's almost taken as canon, but I'm pretty sure it was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek remark by GL. As has already been pointed out, Artoo knew Scottish Football Association about what the Sith were up to.

In answer to the thread question, I imagine Qui-Gin Jinn's ghost (as he appeared in the deleted scenes in ROTS) probably knows more about everything than any other being we actually encounter across all six films. By the time of ROTJ, Obi-Wan's ghost has, no doubt, been briefed by his old master as well.

Not counting Force Ghosts, Palpatine seems to be the most clued-up mortal character in terms of galactic schemes, although you could argue that Luke pretty much knows everything by the end of ROTJ, if you can allow for him doing his own research off-screen, and perhaps a few details revealed to him by Obi-Wan. Palps didn't know where Luke, Leia, Obi-Wan or Yoda were for twenty years.

In the OT alone, you do sort of get the impression that Yoda and Obi-Wan pretty much know everything that's going on, they just don't have the resources to do anything about it. The PT, however, points to their clear fallibility.

kainee and darth ladnar like this.