main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT In which episode is Han's personality at your favourite?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Seagoat, May 16, 2015.

1. VictoriaSkywalker

VictoriaSkywalker Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2015
    Han in ESB. He's still very much like Han in ANH, but he has concern for his friends. When he saves Luke at the very beginning of the movie you can see how much he has changed, but when you listen to him messing with Leia you see how much he hasn't.
    (I will always love the Luke and Han friendship and, of course, the Leia and Han romance).

Yanksfan and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  2. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

You pretty much said everything I would about it. Han is at his most interesting in that film fo sho. I like his interactions with Luke and Leia. His hilarious relationship with 3PO still makes me laugh.

3. NerfHerder123

NerfHerder123 Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2015
    A new Hope for sure. The character is really in his element. I feel like we see more of the shady rogue who is in a tight spot with the deadly warlord threatening him and the danger of getting caught by the empire or bounty hunter. Not to mention the way he interacts with the characters especially Leia. In the later films his character doesn't seem as interesting (Not that he isn't as good of a character) it's just that he's no longer in his element he is forced into the life of a rebel leader. Suddenly people start to rely on him and he is made to follow orders which just isn't his style.

4. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I liked Han throughout. I never really thought he changed too much. Obviously in ANH he was looking out for #1,but I never felt he changed much between ESB & ROTJ. He grew insomuch as he took on the role of "responsible leader" (who'd have thought that?;)) but he still had the same quips and charm as previously, so I never saw this huge personality change people seemed to see in him between movies.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Han is actually funnier in ANH. There's no romantic attachment to Leia, aside from a casual wondering in the cockpit and he gives her a wink because, hey, she's a cute princess who just gave him a medal. She's a means to an end and he's basically irritated by her the whole time ("Look, your worship, let's get one thing straight, I take orders from just one person. Me!"). He's definitely a bit more cut-throat and shady. And I also love how he's snarky about The Force with calling it just "simple tricks and nonsense". He's a lot more of a rouge in that movie, and he's a fun supporting character. And the whole bit with the officer over the switchboard is amazing.

Han is more developed in ESB and a fuller performance overall but I do like the swing-for-the-fences big supporting character he is in ANH. But if you want more emotion out of it, it's ESB. As for Han in ROTJ, he has some of the movie's funniest lines (in fact, I find it odd that Han gets all the best lines in ROTJ when Leia's snark, which is a huge aspect of her in ANH and ESB, kind of evaporates before ROTJ starts. Maybe they just gave the funniest lines to Han instead.)

6. mute90

mute90 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 18, 2012
    A New Hope. I really enjoyed his cockiness and shadiness when we meet him. He also has his character arc just in that movie as he goes from a smuggler all about taking care of himself (via monetary reward) to the man who comes back to take care of someone else.

Saying that, my favorite Han moment is in ESB when he's about to get frozen. From the moment he calms down Chewie to when he is quietly lowered into the chamber, there's something very tough about him - genuinely tough instead of cocky bravado, that is.

Sarge and Force Smuggler like this.
  7. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Empire Strikes Back because like someone else said, he feels concern for his friends and is actually a likable character. Not that he wasn't somewhat likable in ANH---he's just more likable.

As for Han in ROTJ, well I don't really remember much of him in that. I did like his reaction to the Ewoks though. You could definitely tell the main focus with that film was Luke, Vader, and Sidious though.

8. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    That's so weird. I was *just* noticing that the other night. I mean, I've always noticed that Leia seems a bit…"underdeveloped" character-wise in ROTJ (for a number of reasons, but that's another thread). But it was only the other night when I realized how her snark is completely *absent*. I miss it. And I get that her and Han would be getting along better in ROTJ (and he was formerly a major target of said snark), but some fun banter wouldn't have been out of place for those two. You know, more teasing than combative now, given their relationship status, but still. Instead, it seems that Han gets all the "lines" and Leia…is just along for the ride or something.

Valairy Scot and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  9. Defensor

Defensor Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 23, 2015
    I`ll transfer this from the "What is the ONE thing you dislike about the OT?" thread, since I commented it there before knowing this thread existed.

I agree with this. I think Han is way more fun in ROTJ. Perhaps it is because we see his arc come to a close, but I`ve always liked him more there.

Funny thing about being lovey-dovey is that I always imagined post-ROTJ Han as the grumpy husband that stays at home taking care of the kids while Leia is out ruling the New Republic. His conversion in a family man would be complete. :p

Obi-John Kenobi and Iron_lord like this.
  10. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    In Return of the Jedi. The same goes for the relationship between him and Leia.

11. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
  12. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    ANH

I like the drifter type care free character he had.

13. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    When he cries as he is lowered into the carbon freezing pit... man... you could tell then that he was a big old softie squishy thing on the inside.

14. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Decided to comment here since I've recently completed a flip-floppy months long conversion from having a life-long preference for Luke to being a full-fledged "Han is the best" fan. I love him in all three films, but I'd have to go with The Empire Strikes Back. It's the perfect balance between the somewhat distant, cold smart ass in A New Hope and the warm, more openly caring and affectionate person he'd become in Return of the Jedi.

15. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    In which episode is Han's personality at your favourite?
    Hard question; probably ESB, simply for the first 15 minutes or so of Han footage in the movie. Actually, scrap that, basically whenever he isn't being overly sweet to Leia when they're alone, he's basically perfect in ESB. Ford's acting is really spot on with Han, IMO.

I do like ROTJ Han too, simply for some of the quick banter he has with Luke. "How are we doing?" "Same as always." "That bad, huh?"