main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph In which franchise do you ignore ALL sequels?

Discussion in 'Community' started by grd4, May 28, 2015.

1. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Every time I watch John Carpenter's Halloween with others, someone will eventually allude to the relationship between the villain and protagonist. To which I always reply, "There is none. That sibling crap was introduced in Halloween II, and it's nonsense. Laurie Strode is just unlucky enough to be the one who approached the Myers house." And that's what makes it so frightening--the arbitrary nature of the stalking, which will undoubtedly resurface for Haddonfield's next Halloween night.

List off a film which you consider a "one-and-done", regardless of the cultural heft of its sequel/s?

(Extra points to anyone who chooses a franchise with high-quality sequels. Which obviously doesn't apply to Halloween.)

Violent Violet Menace, tom and jp-30 like this.
  2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, this is easy. Jaws. I mean, 3-D and The Revenge are sort of synonomous with "worst movies ever." Jaws 2 isn't anywhere close to awful, and it has a couple of effective moments, but mainly I don't mind losing it as well. In my mind, the Brody family lived happily ever after.

3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Jurassic Park.

4. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Terminator

JoinTheSchwarz and tom like this.
  5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The Matrix. I've never bothered with 2 or 3.

7. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    Like the two lovely people above me, Highlander and The Matrix. I tried the 2nd Matrix movie but I fell asleep in the middle. Never attempted any after that.

Jabbadabbado and tom like this.
  8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Really? You've just never seen Judgment Day or you didn't like it?

-Jedi Joe- and Juliet316 like this.
  9. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Ghostbusters. I always have to remind myself that that purple jelly thing happened. Come to think of it, that's all I remember from the sequel.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, even if you discard T3 and beyond Terminator and Judgement Day work well as a perfect duology.

Edit: And I reserve the right at present to hold off on my answer, because depending on what happens next year, my answer may very well be Independence Day.

11. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i completely agree with all of the ones listed so far. my somewhat controversial one is raiders of the lost ark. one of my favorite films but i find all of the sequels kind of unbearable for one reason or another.

12. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
  13. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Really? You do realize that T2 is considered by many to actuslly be better than the original, and equal to the original by most.

Halloween II, the original, isn't really a sequel as much,as it is a really long extended ending. Besides, Carpenter left the first very open ended, a sequel really isn't out of the question.

Anyway, I consider the Nightmare on Elm Street to be one and done movie for me. The series takes a drop off a cliff after the first, where each subsequent sequel becomes hilariously more ridiculous.

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    That one probably wins the most controversial or most disagreed with or whatever, especially around here.

Ooh, great pull. I never think of it when I think of franchise films, even though it had, what, like three movie sequels, a remake, a TV movie sequel and a prequel TV series.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Godfather.

*pulls into a toll stop*

17. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    With regards to Terminator, there are a good chunk of people that prefer the first one. I personally prefer T2 but I think that's mainly because I saw it first. When I was growing up it was on TV all the time so I watched it plenty of times and I didn't see T1 until many years later. They're both great though, IMO.

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I sympathize with that viewpoint, though I like Last Crusade.
    Yeah, everything sucked after Qui-Gon died.

19. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I stopped watching all movies after A Trip to the Moon.

20. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I honestly never knew Psycho had sequels until that comment. I knew of the remake with Vince Vaughn, and the Bates Motel series though I've never seen either.
    [​IMG]

Thy shall not besmerch the godly nature of The Empire Strikes Back!

I swear, I think it was a bad idea to challenge people to make it controversial, OP. I think peole are trying to be controversial for the sake of being controversial.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Street Fighter

Legend of Chun Li is ****ing awful.

22. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Cinema was dead after La Sortie de l'Usine Lumière à Lyon. Projectors! Feh.

23. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Fast and the Furious basically became a totally different franchise after 3 and 2 and 3 are forgettable, so F&F.

24. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    Ugh, The Matrix. Great as a stand alone movie, but the sequels are just objectively bad.

soitscometothis likes this.
  25. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    RoboCop. The potential for great follow ups were there, but the studio butchered the scripts. I'm not saying Frank Miller's original story was perfect, but really... putting the brain of a drug addled sociopath into a cyborg didn't send up any red flags at OCP? Not to mention that foul mouthed little kid running the Nuke cartel. Ugh. The second one just had an all around unpleasantness to it. I will admit the third one is a guilty pleasure, just for the humor (the reprogramming of ED-209 and the crook realizing the flaw in robbing a donut shop) But as far as I'm concerned, RoboCop regained his humanity, reduced the crime rate and Delta City was built and they all lived happily ever after.

Also Jaws. I love the first one, but based on what i've heard, I'm not interested in any of the sequels.

Darth_Omega, Debo, Abadacus and 5 others like this.