main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series In Which Kablob Goes On About Barriss Offee

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Kablob, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Maybe they removed the Midiclorians from Barriss' bloodstream or a part of her brain where she can no longer use the force. The Jedi wouldve punished her severely if she was not executed for murder and treason ect.

2. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014

Pre Vizsla in "Shades of Reason" made an ellipsis with his black light-saber while entering the rescue-capsule with Maul and Opress. Is an ellipsis good or bad?

Actually in my fanfic, Barriss Offee just became this. But she couldn't touch Ventress in his favorization. I guess Dooku had much more fun with Ventress.

3. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Part 3: How Barriss Offee Brought Down The Republic

Letta is, more or less, the Palpatine to Barriss’ Anakin. Their relationship is a lot different and on a smaller scale, of course: the balance of power between them is the complete opposite. Barriss is a Jedi Knight; Letta is just a random citizen of the Republic. But the point is that Letta increases Barriss’ doubts in the Jedi, while simultaneously trying to convince her that she can do something about it. Letta’s plan isn’t anywhere near as well thought out as Palpatine’s, though. She only has a vague idea of making a (violent) statement against the war, in the hopes of convincing the Jedi to end it. Before this point they’ve agreed that the Jedi are completely subservient to the Republic, and the Republic is failing. Palpatine is already the Emperor, he just hasn’t made it official. And when the Republic falls, the Jedi will fall with it. And really, what’s so bad about what the Separatists want? They have a good point about the flaws of the Republic, even if their leaders are just as corrupt.

Finally, it happens. Letta brings up the idea of bombing the Jedi Temple, and Barriss is shocked. Attack the temple? That’s unthinkable for a Jedi. Just look at Ahsoka’s reaction when she learns about the bombing.

“I can’t believe a Jedi would attack a place this sacred!”

[​IMG]
    cough

Barriss doesn’t hate the Jedi. Far from it, actually. She She hates what they’re becoming, in her mind: just as bad as the Sith. Barriss has come to think that there isn’t any real difference between the Jedi Council and Dooku. Her and Letta have discussed how they won’t listen to reason, otherwise those protests that Letta attends would accomplish something, right?

So Barriss tells her she’s out of her mind and leaves. But maybe when she gets back to the Temple something happens. Something that’s the last straw for her. Maybe she overhears some Jedi Masters talking about the war in a way she interprets as callous. Maybe one of them is even Luminara Unduli, but it’s important that she isn’t on Coruscant when Barriss finally snaps. Not only was Luminara not in the arc, but her presence could have had a similar effect to Obi-Wan not being on Utapau in ROTS. The specifics of what the last straw is aren’t important. The important part is that Barriss goes back to Letta.

She asks for more details. Letta says that her husband, Jackar, can get access to the Hangar, one of the most militarized places in the Temple. There, he can detonate a bomb. Letta even claims that he’s willing to give his life in the process. After much argument and persuasion, Barriss agrees. But only under certain conditions. This is the plan that Barriss agrees to, at this point:

1. Barriss will steal nano explosives from the Jedi Temple. Barriss suggested this part, since Jackar is an expert in them.
    2. Jackar will eat food filled with the explosives. This part was also suggested by Barriss. Since Letta said he was willing to give his life, this is the easiest way for him to smuggle the bomb in.
    3. The bomb will be set to detonate early in the morning, when the hangar is mostly empty. Barriss doesn’t want to kill anyone, she wants to destroy the hangar. She knows a few clones will probably be killed in the explosion whenever it happens, but at this time it will be the fewest possible.
    4. When the Jedi eventually have to admit they have no idea who bombed the Temple, Barriss will turn herself in and state all of the reasons she did it in her confession. She knows that she’ll most likely she’ll be executed. But Barriss doesn’t place much value on her own life, right? She’s been ready to sacrifice herself to save others for years. This is just a very roundabout way of doing it.
    That’s what Barriss thinks is the plan, and the word “Ahsoka” isn’t mentioned anywhere in it yet. She gets the explosives and stores them in the warehouse on level 1315, where Letta picks them up and later feeds them to Jackar. But here’s the point where things go differently, and the first part of Barriss’ downfall.

Letta is not entirely truthful. After Barriss programs the explosives, she changes the timer so they go off significantly later when more people are in the Temple. She doesn’t think the Jedi will listen unless Jedi are killed. If lying to Barriss about the plan is necessary, then so be it. If Barriss confronts her about it later, then she’ll just claim that the bomb malfunctioned.

There’s also another possible lie, but this one is subject to your interpretation. Letta told Barriss that Jackar was a willing participant, but Barriss never actually interacted with him. Could he have been an unwitting suicide bomber? Is Letta so radical that she’ll murder her own husband for her cause? Who knows. People kill their spouses for all sorts of reasons. Barriss believes that he was a willing part of it though, regardless of whether he actually was.

So the bomb goes off, and a lot of people are killed. Clones, civilian workers, and several Jedi Knights. Barriss has been anxious all morning since the bomb failed to detonate at the right time. When it finally does, she runs to the hangar in a panic with the other first responders. There, she sees just what she’s done, and it messes her up. She just killed people who she knew and at least one of them considered her a friend.

“Tutso Mara. We trained together. He taught me how to hold my lightsaber correctly.”

[​IMG]
    A skill that Ahsoka still hasn’t mastered.

Barriss is overcome with guilt, but now she knows that there’s no going back. Barriss knows that she has done awful things, but at the same time she’s determined to make sure that nobody who she killed died in vain. It has to have made a difference, or she won’t be able to live with herself. She’s actually fallen yet, at this point.

Then when she’s walking through the Temple, she sees Letta being interrogated by Anakin.

[​IMG]
    Don’t mind me, I’m just a meaningless cameo here to fill out the background.

Now, her mind is in full paranoia mode. Did Letta betray her? Had she gotten cold feet and decided to sell Barriss out? But Letta is released without incident, so she starts to calm down somewhat and wait until the right time to confess.
    [​IMG]
    Pictured: Guilt

And then Letta gets arrested for real as the primary bombing suspect. Barriss’ paranoia comes back in full as she attends the funeral for the Jedi she killed. But then things get worse for her: she gets to listen to what a Jedi who she thought was sympathetic to her cause has to say about the Temple bomber.

“If Letta’s guilty, she’s guilty! And she should be dealt with!”

[​IMG]

Anakin: Well done, my young apprentice. Er, I mean, revenge is not the Jedi way.

Now Barriss is starting to realize something.

“The evidence seems clear, Ahsoka. Nothing will ever change.”

[​IMG]
    Pictured: Depression

She’s obviously not actually talking about the evidence of Letta’s involvement here. She just realized that her attack on the Temple did absolutely nothing. The Jedi only see the culprit as a murderer, without seeing the error of their own ways. The war will continue, and the Jedi will keep leading it.

Next, she tries to pick Ahsoka’s brain on whether or not she actually is against the war, or if it was just wishful thinking on Barriss’ part.
    [​IMG]
    Not pictured: Someone in a healthy state of mind

Spoiler alert: it was wishful thinking. Ahsoka is disturbingly vindictive towards Letta - and thus, by extension, towards Barriss. Ahsoka runs off, and Barriss can barely keep a straight face. The Jedi clearly haven’t understood the point of what she did, and Letta is clearly going to sell Barriss up the river to get a better deal. She already betrayed Barriss once after all, by lying about when the bomb would go off.

One way or another, Barriss will have to keep her from talking. She wants to redeem herself for what she did now, and she won’t be able to do that from inside a prison cell. Maybe at this point she decides to leave the Jedi Order and spend the rest of her life healing people on some terrible planet as atonement, or something else along those lines.

But first things first: she needs to get to Letta.

Coming soon in Part 4: How Barriss of all people snuck into a high security base, and the part where she really loses it.

4. Vader'sGoodHand

Vader'sGoodHand Jedi Master star 3

Apr 1, 2014
    Fantastic piece Kablob. I think she used Ahsoka as a crutch thinking that someone would take her side. Yes, Ahsoka has changed but Barriss still fails to remember who Ahsoka's Master is and how much influence he has had on her.

5. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    [​IMG]

This thread is filled with the awesomeness.

6. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Kablob, thank you for making and continuously updating this thread. All I see on this sub forum is a bunch of Barriss hate, and I don't understand why. Her character shift was shocking, and I feel like it was better for her to be changed into this New Barriss by Filoni and the gang. More Barriss love, people!

Werebazs and JediFan215 like this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, this thread is actually starting to make early-seasons-Barriss seem more compatible with Barriss the Bomber.

Kablob likes this.
  8. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    That's what I'm here for! :)

Iron_lord and Senator Kelberry like this.
  9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    You's probably like the "missing chapters" for LOTF: Invincible, written by Sinrebirth, one of the EUC mods, essentially doing to Jacen what you're doing for Barriss.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I tend to agree that this is good stuff. If they were ever to novelize the Barriss arc, the way they novelized the Maul arc (Darth Maul: Shadow Conspiracy) this sort of showcasing of Barriss's thoughts and feelings would be a good thing.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  11. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    I completely agree. They shouldn't make her one sided. We need to know the real Barriss Offee.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That's why I like The Approaching Storm, slow as it is - it gives a good showcase of the dynamic between her and Luminara.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  13. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    So you'd recomend that book then? I want to read more about her so i'm looking for some books.

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I would, though a great many people wouldn't, because of the slow plot.

The most Barriss-centric books, however, are the Clone Wars novels - Medstar I: Battle Surgeons, and Medstar II: Jedi Healer. Good stuff even if there's the occasional continuity error (confusing the Great Hyperspace War with the Stark Hyperspace War, for example).

Saga Explorer likes this.
  15. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    I don't mind slow books myself. It just means the good parts come later.

Thank you. :) I'll most likely have to buy E-Book versions of those though.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I'm looking forward to you trying to make sense of the idiocy that is Barriss somehow Force-choking Letta from a distance and also cloaking her presence in the Force from Ahsoka and Anakin. Good luck!

17. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    Barriss did it for the lulz. It's just that simple.

*ducks*

Darth Valkyrus and Paparazzo like this.
  18. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    *murders*

19. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities, some considered to be unnatural."

You've watched Star Wars, right? This kind of thing happens all the time.

Darth Valkyrus likes this.
  20. Werebazs

Werebazs Jedi Master star 1

Mar 20, 2013
    Barriss was fairly obviously in the prison, given that soon after Ahsoka's arrest she beat up and killed a bunch of clones with lightsaber. She was most likely hiding in the ventallation ducts right above Letta's cell, when she choked her. And given that Barriss could sneak up on Ventress, yes she really was good at hiding her presence. If you want to troll, try harder.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Using "the Dark Side did it" as an excuse for every bit of idiocy in the plot, gets really old and stupid after awhile.

Kablob has, however, proven that he can do better than that.

22. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    It's not an excuse, it's a major plot point to the entire series. How many lines about the shroud of the dark side clouding everything, diminishing the Jedi's ability to use the Force need to be included in the narrative for this to be apparent? Yoda doesn't sense Darth Sidious sitting right in front of him, Dooku plots the assassination of Padmé but Windu can't imagine it, Obi-Wan can't foresee Pong Krell's betrayal until his men are dead. And then there's the little matter of young Skywalker.

I mean, you can think it's stupid if you want, but it's literally the whole story so... Well, there you go.

23. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    "I don't know... therefore the Dark Side."

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, pretty much.

In our world, it's blaming the imaginary red horned dude instead of acknowledging a real reason and taking responsibility.

25. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    Though to be fair, the dark side isn't actually imaginary in Star Wars. But it's important that the choice to use it is just that: a choice. Even if it can do a real number on your logic skills before you learn how to control it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.