main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga In which order should you be watching (or are you watching) the Star Wars movies? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by SW Saga Fan, Aug 19, 2015.

?

In which order should you be watching (or are you watching) the Star Wars movies?

1. Chronological order: Episodes I, II, III, IV, V, VI

88 vote(s)
    51.5%
  2. Release order: Episodes IV, V, VI and I, II, III

47 vote(s)
    27.5%
  3. Machete order: Episodes IV, V, II, III, VI

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. Machete order including Episode I: Episodes IV, V, I, II, III, VI

20 vote(s)
    11.7%
  5. Only the original trilogy: Episodes IV, V, VI

5 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. A completely different order!

8 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I actually disagree about first timers (especially kids) are better off watching ANH as their introduction into the universe.

I have a friend that tried to show his 5 year old daughter the saga, but started with ANH. Apparently they only made it about 25 minutes into the movie and she was bored. The part in the desert where it slows way down can be hard for youngsters to get through because of their short attention spans (unfortunate but true). On the other hand, starting with TPM may make the introduction for the child into the Star Wars universe a bit easier. The movie is newer, so it hops along a bit quicker, has more modern effects and modern feel. I just think it would be easier for them to get through and hook them on the story and that world.

Once they are into it, then they will be fine. Eventually you get around to showing them ANH, they are already invested in the story and to what happened to Anakin that they will be glued to the TV at that point.

BINGO

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Lulu_Mars likes this.
  2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Interesting point! ANH won't necessarily bore all kids - and watching Star Wars at five years of age might be a tad ambitious - but forcing the release order on kids could certainly do the potential Star Wars fan within them a disservice. ANH might be a bit too old school for their taste and jumping back in time after Episode VI to watch I-III might confuse them a bit. Characters and events can easily get mixed up that way if one doesn't pay close attention.

3. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    The fact that small kids might be bored with the opening half hour of ANH reinforces a key lesson from the films: patience.

Lulu_Mars likes this.
  4. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

The same key lesson should also be applied for The Phantom Menace. ;)

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

It all varies from child to child. I was about two years younger, I think, when I first saw ANH and from what I've been told, didn't have trouble with the slow pacing. The children of Drew McWeeny didn't have trouble with ANH and were roughly the same age as Luukeskywalker's friend's child. So you really have to take that into consideration for all children. Patience is important, but some kids might not be interested from the get go, regardless of that.

TPM has a quick pace during Act I. So that should keep a child like that interested until Act II. What happens after that will vary.

6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Wait, you watch ANH, ROTS, and then you're done? :confused:

7. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Well sure, why not? Going by Klimo's ring theory, they're each other's inversions, so you could keep that going forever ;)

8. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    I like the so-called Full Machete: IV, V, I, II, III, VI. Inserting the PT between ESB and ROTJ handily answers the question of Luke's parentage, and makes the final scene on the DS2 resonant with emotion. The only real problem with this order is stylistic: that is, going from the lush romanticism of ESB to the busy kid's movie of TPM is kind of a (jar)jarring transition. Other than that it's quite perfect.

Darth__Lobot and Encuentro like this.
  9. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I've always done I - II - III - IV - V - VI, except for my one I - IV - II - V - III - VI viewing which was actually quite the experience. But chronological order is where my heart really lies, and I expect that to continue with the new trilogy. Saga viewings for me will likely span I - IX in that order, upon completion of the ST. Perhaps I will watch with the Star Wars Stories/Anthology films included in chronological order during some viewings, though to be honest I expect those to be more "individual viewings," where I can just pop whichever one in whenever I feel like watching it. On the flip side, I very, very rarely just pop in an individual episodic film. If I'm going to watch one of them, I'm typically going to commit to watching them all (not in a single day, of course), which is why I generally don't watch the Saga more than twice a year. I did make an exception and watch ANH on its own with my dad when the second TFA trailer hit, but that's a rare incident.

Seagoat and Alienware like this.
  10. The Chosen TML Fan

The Chosen TML Fan Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2015
    IV, V, I, II, III, VI. Lucas said this is the story of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader. So I see I-III as him reflecting on his life between V-VI.

11. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    I'm the same, though I watch them even more rarely.

I think that ANH is actually the only one that can stand on its own quite comfortably. And maybe TPM to a degree.

Anyway, I usually go with 4-5-6-1-2-3 if I don't watch them alone, which is in 90% of the cases. If I'm alone, I go with the chronological order.

12. Darth Sequel Trilogy

Darth Sequel Trilogy Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 13, 2015
    4,5,6,1,2,3,7,8,9 (just in case we make a new thread).

I firmly believe the movies should be watched in the original order for a first time viewer because Lucas kept revising the story, and atleast they get to experience each movie in the context it was made. ANH was a standalone movie where nobody was related so it should be watched 1st, as it has a totally different context and somewhat confusing context if you watch it 4th. If they enjoyed that, then show them ESB and ROTJ, as they were all filmed with Luke Skywalker as the protagonist and the subplot in ROTJ was the him saving Darth Vader. If they enjoyed that, then show them the PT, where it was the backstory of the events of the OT, and the rise and fall of Darth Vader. If they like that, then can see 7,8,9 in the theaters, and who knows where the story goes from here.....

You can watch the movies 1,2,3,4,5,6 or 4,5,1,2,3,6, etc, but because SW was an evolving story and sometimes contradicts the one before it, its best to let them watch them in the order made, so they can follow Lucas's story as originally told.

Sarge, Alienware and Force Smuggler like this.
  13. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Wait, you watch ANH, ROTS, and then you're done? :confused:

I mean, as in, Episode IV-V-IV-I-II-III
    Explanation, just incase it wasn't sarcasm. But, I feel just watching ANH and ROTS one night would be a cool experience, maybe.

14. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    I've heard that the machete order actually makes the prequels better. I've never tried it myself.

15. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    Give it a shot! An alternate (for those who dislike Ep. I) is to skip TPM altogether or put it at the end as an afterthought.

Encuentro likes this.
  16. ManlyEwok

ManlyEwok Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2014
    Uhhh, I always watch them chronologically, the way they're designed.

17. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    if i was introducing someone to the saga i would go release order. anh is the easiest intro.

18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    They were designed by release order. E4 was made first and before Anakin and Vader were the same person and the most stand alone, ESB made Vader and Anakin the same person and things evolved from there.

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    They were designed that way, but they also can work in chronological order.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    If they work for people, good for them. But with plot points created in the PT and weren't present in the OT, the shift of the Saga after the release of ESB, etc, that way doesn't work for me as fully as it does for others.

21. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    Release order works best. The prequels bank on you knowing certain things explained in the Classic Trilogy. You don't want to show someone the worst things first: TPM, AOTC. Start with the strengths, Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    To play Devil's Advocate, start with the worst, end with the best. Though making people stay for all 6 movies would be interesting.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  23. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

Then you end up with people who suffer through Phantom Menace and won't watch anymore. I knew someone who went with a group to see a PT movie (I think it was AOTC) and he hated it so much that he avoided the series for years. It took me forever to get him to watch Star Wars '77 (which he ended up really liking) because his first experience left a bad taste in his mouth.

24. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    That likelihood is why I think it best to have the viewing order to the newbie's inclinations. Besides 'strong' and 'weak' films are not givens as tastes vary widely.

25. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    I've watched The Phantom Menace about two weeks ago for the first time in 8 years in order to do a marathon before the release of Episode VII and I'm still alive, just sayin'. You can read my review about it: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...after-many-years-thoughts-and-views.50033269/