main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT In your head canon, Did Darth Maul die in TPM?.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by The Chosen TML Fan, Sep 3, 2015.

?

Did Darth Maul Die in TPM?.

1. He's dead Jim......

117 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. MAUL LIVES!!.

68 vote(s)
    36.8%
  1. The Chosen TML Fan

The Chosen TML Fan Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2015
    I believe he is. He served his purpose as a tool to rattle the Jedi, there is no other need for him. When I had seen him in the Clone Wars cartoon, it felt like clear as day, "fan service", to me, which took away the canon feel of the CW. Your thoughts?.

2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I will give this thread an extremely short rope because of the possibility of Canon Wars III breaking out. Tread carefully folks.

3. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Yes I agree. I think it would have been best for Maul to meet his end in TPM. After all, he was chopped in two. Falling alone (as Luke did) is ambiguous. Being cut in half is pretty final. You would die instantly and within minutes of severe shock.

I think Maul material should be before his demise in TPM or flashbacks. Nothing wrong with showing him before TPM. But after that, and the only explanation can be he is his twin or a clone copy.

4. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Darth Maul is alive, in my book. I mainly agree with what's canon, it's just how I work. Plus, I like that they brought him back. It's not as if it was ultimately impossible for him to have survived his ordeal on Naboo. The reason given in TCW was great. Shows how the power of the dark side can fuel you.

cwustudent likes this.
  5. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    I didn't see any reason that he needed to return but I consider it canon.

6. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    dead in star wars

even on days of our lives i think he'd be dead.

7. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    Yeah but he is not meant to be anywhere near as powerful as Vader, or even Sidious. Sidious survived Windu's attack and the lightning only just and with Anakin's assistance - he was also not cut in two. In ROTJ, Sidious is electricuted and overcome by Vader. As for the Chosen One, he only survives being amputated and almost burnt inside out owing to Sidious arriving to save him. Even then Vader lives thanks to a specialized suit. Maul was chopped in two. Chopped in two. He would have died of severe shock virtually instantaneously. Even his expression immediately after shows he knew he'd just been outdone by Kenobi.

Omg, this was the perfect answer!! Laughed so much. Agreed, Maul is dead by the end of TPM in Star Wars, and in Days of Our Lives, Clone Wars and Rebels.

JEDI-RISING likes this.
  8. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    at least on days they usually get killed off camera for a comeback :cool:

DarthTalonx likes this.
  9. The Chosen TML Fan

The Chosen TML Fan Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2015
    I remember reading how Anakin survived Mustafar because he channeled all his rage. Even Sidious had to use every dark side technique he knew to keep him alive till they got to Coruscant.

10. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    Yes agreed. Anakin survived I think in combination of him using his rage. But even then had no one ever turned up to save him, I think he would have perished given the loss of blood and being left for dead next to the river of molten lava. Both he and Obi Wan must have been using the Force to even survive and fight in such harsh conditions - the CIS base was shielded to allow people to live inside it. Mustafar was not a habitable planet for humans otherwise. And agreed Sidious then had to try his best to hold him together. But the key thing is that Anakin then only survives with urgent medical attention and being given a special suit which keeps him alive (as displayed in the OT). If the CHOSEN ONE, who is much much much more powerful in the Force than Maul, can only survive with such catches, there is no way Maul survives being sliced in two.

11. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    What was the reason?

DarthTalonx likes this.
  12. SoloBrothers

SoloBrothers Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2013
    My headcanon includes everything from the films, Clone Wars, new canon books and Rebels so, yes Maul lives

StarWarsFreak93 likes this.
  13. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013
    Dead. I just couldn't buy the Clone Wars resurrection. I read the comic that inspired the idea and, while it was beautifully drawn, it should've stayed an idea.

Ezon Pin, xezene, Lando Swarm and 6 others like this.
  14. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I was sure he was dead as a dodo until he showed up in TCW. In my world, that show made his return entirely credible, so nowadays, I have no trouble seeing him as a survivor of TPM.

15. Sab Jo

Sab Jo Jedi Master star 2

Jul 2, 2013
    No, and mace windu didn't die in rots either.

cwustudent, Darth Basin and Lulu Mars like this.
  16. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Yes in my opinion he's dead.

I'm a film purist, and when Lucas says Maul died (in TPM documentaries/ interviews) before TCW, I take him at his word.

Plus I don't consider TCW canon anyway (but that's a different thing altogether as I can't comprehend live action people suddenly becoming cartoon CGI people, then live action again: call it an autism trait)

17. Ditolus

Ditolus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    imo he's dead. i dont like it when guys come back to life who we were sure were dead. star wars then becomes a soap opera.

18. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    He's dead to me because he never lived. I don't consider the prequels canon.

19. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    If the choice had been mine I would have kept him dead* but I enjoyed Maul's arc in Clone Wars too much to discount it so I roll with the official canon.

*If I had any real say ever in the matter I wouldn't have had him get killed so early in the prequel trilogy.

tallie_tachi and Obi-John Kenobi like this.
  20. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well in a way it was "fan service" in the first place that transformed Darth Vader from the character of ANH to the character of the rest of the saga starting in TESB.

"Fan service" also brought Boba Fett back from the Sarlacc Pit as well though we have yet to see that in a movie.

I really don't see any problem with it. In terms of the movies of course Maul was dead but then ultimately despite any official canon the movies are still at the end unto themselves and apart from the books, comics and animated series.

In the new comics Luke has already met Vader once and probably will again.Luke has also met Fett though he was blind at the time.

They are filling in the major story gaps between ANH and TESB of which there are many.

It's fun stuff of course but it's never going to totally reconcile 100% with the movies anymore than the movies actually do with each other 100%.

If we take everything that Obi-Wan said in ANH to the last scintilla even with the proviso he is lying about some of it then there are still "problems".

That is a whole other thing. You can do that of course but it doesn't really matter if you don't.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.”

Philip K. Dick

Antpocalypse likes this.
  21. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Is no question: Maul's dead.

Lando Swarm likes this.
  22. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Maul lives. Wasn't crazy about the idea when it was first announced, but now I'm glad they brought him back. He's even more cool and interesting thanks to TCW.

cwustudent, Darkslayer and Lulu Mars like this.
  23. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    He did but then The Clone Wars proved me wrong.

24. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes... and if he truly didn't die then I'm petitioning to revive about 4 other characters. :p

25. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Yes. He, imo, was brought back for ratings and money.

ObiWanKnowsMe and spicer like this.