main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT In your opinion, Does Boba really deserve all the love he gets?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Mzukiller, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Yeah...

In the OP it was stated that Boba Fett was a wuss, and so in my post I was attempting to crack a joke about Boba striking fear in Vader...who is arguably the greatest villain of all time...I wasn't being serious; it was intended to be an over-the-top argument to contradict the opinion that Boba is a wuss. Nailed it.

Jeff Zach and Darth Pwn like this.
  2. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013
    Define deserve. If someone inspires that response in people, as long as they aren't be forced to act in a specific way (like in North Korea)......You can disagree with their means, but that doesn't mean they don't deserve the results of their work.

And in regards to Boba Fett, there was no propaganda telling people to like him in 1978 and 1980. People just did. So how is it not deserved?

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Okay then.

4. SithHorseman

SithHorseman Jedi Master star 1

Feb 22, 2002
    Could have happened to anyone. Boba Fett did not become a wuss until 2004 when the voice got substituted for Temuera Morrison's voice. Very disappointing.

Sarge likes this.
  5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    No, Boba is overrated

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    All I have to say are mando's are cool, fett is awesome. Bardan is a rock star.

7. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I wonder whether the OT story would have been better if his part in it were just performed by some anonymous stormtroopers. Oh well.

8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I don't see why. There's nothing really objectively wrong with the character.

The EU may be a different story, though.

9. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Well, from one POV, he just stands there. He does't really add anything (except, a cynic might argue, sell toys). And continuing from that certain POV, he does take away from the threat of the Empire--I mean,the Empire can't even hunt one ship own, but one bounty hunter can?

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Answering the thread topic question:

Hell no.

He didn't do anything in the OT or the PT to make me anything but apathetic towards him, I hated him in TCW, and his crawling out of the sarlacc in the EU was just...I don't even...

"Overrated" is the nicest way to put it.

Mzukiller and Vthuil like this.
  11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The Empire can hunt one ship down - they did it by hiring Fett. If anything, he makes Vader look good.

12. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Based on his performance in the films, Boba Fett is fairly overrated. He doesn't accomplish much, and is defeated by a blind man and sent flying into the maw of the sarlacc. And since we never see him after that, by film canon, he is dead.

Boba Fett is fairly unimpressive. Jango Fett by contrast is a deadly warrior, capable to fighting Jedi toe-to-toe and even killing them.

Jango Fett gives Obi-Wan a good fight on Kamino and manages to walk away, leaving Obi-Wan dangling from a platform. He shoots Jedi Master Coleman Trebor dead, and eventually dies at Mace Windu's hands, a Jedi Master who was able to fight Darth Sidious himself.

Far more impressive than Boba, who doesn't even kill anyone in the films. Boba did not inherit much of his father's skill.

Mzukiller likes this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Fixed.

14. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I go purely by film canon, and you're absolutely right. He isn't dead, he is trapped. And he is currently finding a new definition of pain and suffering as he is being slowly digested over a 1,000 years. So sure, he's alive for the sequels... but I'm sure we won't exactly be seeing him. He's too far embedded in the sarlacc's stomache's inner lining.

Sarge likes this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    He's got time to escape. I'm not worried.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I guess Luke and Han weren't in any danger at all from Jabba if it's that easy to escape from the sarlacc. They could just jump out or climb out. Why did Jabba bother using the sarlacc as a means of execution?

If Boba could do what Han and Luke couldn't, that just makes him a Stu. Han is an experienced smuggler who is used to getting out of tight situations, Luke is a friggin' Jedi. They're going to be outwitted by a clone bounty hunter? Really?

Mzukiller likes this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Jabba assumed that Luke and the rest were helpless. Luke has a lightsaber so he wasn't. Boba Fett has a jetpack, a flamethower (I'm assuming since Jango had one), and whatever else. Might take him a while to escape but he will.

18. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    It's not that easy to escape the Sarlacc unless you have a jet pack and a grenade launcher.

19. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

Ya, not even Boba Fett could do it.

Would he die of thirst about 2 days?

But accomplishments aren't all that goes into making a good, charater that people like. Look at Indiana Jones. In his first movie he plays basically no part in the story of the movie, yet he is one of the most loved action heroes of all time, and most people point to that movie as the best of the 4.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Eh... I loved Boba Fett as a kid. Yes, all he did was stand there and look cool, and that was enough for me back then. My imagination would then conjure up fanon and justify how awesome the character was based on nothing but how he inspired my imagination.

In the mid 90s I played the Star Wars CCG by Decipher, and pretty much EVERY character was given a card, indicating their name and giving a little paragraph blurb saying who they are. I wouldn't know who Wuher was (the bartender in ANH) if not for that game, nor that apparently he wanted to concoct the perfect drink and become a bartender for Jabba or something like that.

Things like that turned the Cantina scene into like my favorite scene in all of the series, based on the variety of aliens and creatures, and that the CCG supplemented what was seen with names of characters, names of species, and little mini-bios. It all just fed my imagination and made these characters that didn't do a darn thing seem so, so cool.

I think I'll always have a special, irrational fondness and nostalgia for Boba Fett due to how awesome I thought he was when I was a kid. But I can totally watch the films today and realize that he really doesn't do a whole hell of a lot and that his only claims to fame (based on the films alone) are looking like a badass and tracking the Millennium Falcon. ...And he also sounded cooler before they got Temuera to re-record his lines.

Jedi Knight Fett, EHT and Iron_lord like this.
  21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think it was the Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina short story compilation, that originated most of the details that ended up in those mini-bios.

22. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    no he doesn't

23. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    And to which, I say, "so what?" His EU characterization makes him a pretty cool character. I used to be a lot like this. "What's so great about Fett? He never does anything!" Then I got on Wookieepedia and read up, and the character literally grew on me over night. I mean, when you can stand there and look like this:
    [​IMG]
    "And that's a wrap."

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Same here. Wasn't much interested in Fett before the EU started to build his background up.

25. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    He has his place in the OT, but I think he's overrated.

JediWheelz, T-R- and Iron_lord like this.