main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT In your opinion, Does Boba really deserve all the love he gets?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Mzukiller, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    His character is way, way, way too overblown in the movies. Sure he is a bounty hunter with cool gadgets and weapons, but he doesn't do much, and therefore IMO that doesn't give him much leverage.

Same goes for anything outside of the movies. Too much of a Gary Stu character IMO.

2. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    Does he deserve all the love he gets?
    No, he doesn't in my opinion. His role is quite limited, and the EU continue to glorify him... for some reason.
    My guess is the impression he made on screen to the viewers. I suppose the majority of fans wanted to solve the mystery of who was behind that mask, making him a perfect balloon for the EU to inflate.

Darth Raiden, Vthuil and T-R- like this.
  3. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    As a ten year old kid, he was just the baddest a$$ I ever saw walk into a Star Wars movie. Capturing Han. Shooting at Luke. Talking back to Vader. Just too cool.

4. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

Because the fans love him and want more of him.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Which fans, though?

6. The Star Wars Archivist

Oct 22, 2013
    Thats why I said, he was a great balloon for the EU to inflate. As well as typing my own thoughts on why.

7. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    He deserves it because he gets it.

If you were around for his introduction, he was a great mystery prior to the release of ESB. The mask, the armor, the lack of details regarding his origin. For a young fan it was instantly intriguing.

Then upon the release of ESB, you have the implied past relationship, or perhaps reputation, to Vader (no disintegrations!), and again you have instant cool. All you could think was this guy must be bad ass.

Lets not forget he was also the first person we see successfully foil one of Han Solo's great escapes.

I feel like the more modern fans, especially the ones who became fans after the EU novels were already in full swing, are just a big more jaded. Those fans have a lot of origin stories spoon fed to them, Data bases at their disposal to read into every little detail. It's just different to have been around before all that.

To those of us who are from before those times, Fett was a cool icon of the movies. Once you go through all the Jaster Meerel stories, Tales of the Bounty Hunters etc etc, then the prequels, and subsequent ret-cons. It's a lot less cool, because the mystery was taken away.

Gamiel likes this.
  8. The Star Wars Archivist

Oct 22, 2013
    But remember, Boba was not the one to catch him. The Empire was responsible for capturing and imprisoning Han. Boba Fett just took the frozen body back to Jabba.

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    He was the one who tracked Solo toward Bespin- and sent the Empire a message so that "They arrived right before you did."

vw_jedi likes this.
  10. vw_jedi

Feb 18, 2002
    And up until that point, the Empire (and every other bounty hunter on Jabba's salary) had been unsuccessful in tracking and capturing Solo. Fett was not.

11. The Star Wars Archivist

Oct 22, 2013
    My point is that Fett did not do either. The Empire did all the work, he just ferried a frozen body.

12. vw_jedi

Feb 18, 2002
    Your point is incorrect. The Empire had lost Solo's trail. Without his tracking of the Falcon, the Empire would not have been in the Bespin system.

13. The Star Wars Archivist

Oct 22, 2013
    A valid point. (I haven't watched the films in a while)

Though in my own opinion its an understatement of the Empire's resources. They can build planet destroying space stations but can't track a smuggler.

14. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

But the way you phrase it, it sounds like the EU is what is boost Boba Fetts popularity, but its the other way around. Fett was very popular before there was an EU, and he gets glorified because the fans like him and want more of him.

15. vw_jedi

Feb 18, 2002
    I don't disagree it seems silly.

But they did hire a bunch of bounty hunters to track Solo and company. Which implies either they had exhausted their own options, or perhaps they were spread too thin.

Either way, Fett succeeded where they were failing. And where every other bounty hunter had been failing for years. Being ESB is about 3 years after ANH, we know Solo has had a price on his head for years. We also know at least one other hunter failed on Ord Mantell.

16. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

Two completely different skill sets. The Empire is an.....Empire. Bounty Hunters specialize in hunting down individuals in a vast galaxy. The Empire generally has concerns on a much larger scale.

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Technically Boba got an EU portrayal before he got a movie portrayal. Specifically, in cartoon form, in The Star Wars Holiday Special.

T-R- and Force Smuggler like this.
  18. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Fett wasn't the 1st to track Han, Greedo tracked him pretty good.

19. vw_jedi

Feb 18, 2002
    I said tracking and capturing. And Greedo failed miserably. He wound up face down on a table.

Also, as I stated, another hunter also found him on Ord Mantell. Apparently that didn't work out so well either.

Fett tracked him. Fett brought him in. Fett wins.

20. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

Who says the Holiday Special is EU? Lucas had a hand in it, it was on tv. Seems pretty canon to me.

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    EU is anything that's not the 6 movies. Even if Lucas had a hand in it.

22. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    as pointed out, Fett didn't bring him in either. Darth Vader and the Empire caught and trapped Solo.

23. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    The fans that love him and want more of him.

24. vw_jedi

Feb 18, 2002
    Yeah OK, and Han didn't shoot Greedo. A blaster did! Lol.

Was Boba Fett not standing right next to Darth Vader when the trap was sprung on Solo and Company? Was Boba Fett not there shooting at Luke as they took Solo to Slave One. Was Boba Fett not flying the ship that Leia, Chewie and Lando took pot shots at? Did Boba Fett not make the escape with Solo in his cargo bay, and deliver him to Jabba to be a wall hanging for the next year?

Not to mention, who got payed the bounty on Han Solo? Twice? Once from the Empire, and once from Jabba? Boba Fett!

You guys can split hairs all you want. But of all the bounty hunters that Jabba and the Empire hired, Fett was the only one to deliver. It's undeniable that he succeeded where every one else failed.

Force Smuggler and Iron_lord like this.
  25. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

Ultimately the Empire sprung the trap, but Fett told them were to set it.