main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT In your opinion, was Samuel L Jackson the right choice to portray Mace Windu?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Jan 31, 2015.

?

Was Samuel L Jackson a good choice for playing Mace Windu?

1. Yes

69 vote(s)
    79.3%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. Neutral stance

9 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I've seen quite a few people use the casting choice of Samuel L Jackson to play a Jedi Master as a frequent criticism for the PT

Looking at Jackson's other roles, he often plays wise-cracking, sarcastic, borderline ghetto badass characters. If you told me he was going to play a wise monk-like character, I'd give you a weird look at first

Personally, I think he was a GREAT choice, and I really enjoy his performance despite how different it is from any other role of his. He himself seems to also have really enjoyed the role (on May 4th last year, he tweeted a picture of himself holding his old lightsaber prop - so cool to see he still has it!)

So I've gotta ask your opinion: do you think Jackson was the right choice for a character like Windu?

Alienware and Cryogenic like this.
  2. Ditolus

Ditolus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    its hard to say. if a director who was actually able to get good performances out of his actors actually directed the prequels i might say yes.

Antlers and Red_Leader_313 like this.
  3. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Yes 100% right. He adds the necessary gravitas to the role.

I remember watching the TV interview he did with Chris Evans on TFI Friday where he practically begged Lucas for a part in the PT.

4. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Sam Jackson is Mace Windu. Despite his tragic flaw in fearing the loss of the Jedi Order leading Mace to make a questionable decision regarding killing Palpatine, I can't see anyone else confronting the Sith Master. I feel sorry for him when Anakin betrays him. The turn scene is quite intense, and Jackson is a big part of that. Mace significantly represents Anakin's betrayal of his Jedi brethren.

5. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I think he was completely the right choice for the role. Totally owns it with his authority and stature.

A straight-talking, no-nonsense, monastic badass. Perfectly delivered.

6. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    Mace Windu is a Jedi who walks the edge between light and dark; his lightsaber color purple is symbolic of this (red/blue). 2 examples of this are the following: beheading an unarmed Jango Fett and almost executing a supposedly defeated Sidious.

Given his repertoire, Samuel Jackson was a perfect choice to bring this action-packed role to life. The issue is not Samuel Jackson's performance. Rather, it's the fact that Mace Windu was underutilized, too much time sitting down in the Council room.

AshiusX, Thuro, Revanfan1 and 6 others like this.
  7. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013

Came in here to post basically this.

8. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Some people claim that George Lucas did get good performances out of his actors in I, II,III.

9. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    All I can say is I don't think Jackson suited a Jedi, no. Jackson didn't seem to have the correct manner/demeanour one would expect of a Jedi.

deathraygun and Sarge like this.
  10. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    I liked him. Just wish he could have dropped a few F-bombs. Haha kidding. Still got fingers crossed for a Lethal Weapon-esque buddy Jedi movie spinoff with Windu and Yoda.

11. Darth Schlotkin

Darth Schlotkin Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 6, 2015
    These.
    Although i'd much prefer someone like Denzel Wahington in this role (if it was necessary to make him black) for some subtlety, he was a very good choice, imo!

12. hairymuggle

hairymuggle Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    Mace is one of my favourite characters. Given his minimal screentime and dialogue, he wouldn't have been as memorable without Sam Jackson's charismatic presence (and the purple lightsaber - which was suggested by Sam Jackson). I think Lucas knew he needed someone audiences liked/were familiar with to fill the role so he remains unforgettable, since the two characters he is constantly around (Obi and Yoda) already are established. Then there's the intriguing bonus of creating a slightly more dangerous Jedi for interesting variety (who ironically/paradoxically is the bureaucratic spokesperson for the Jedi!).
    I would have loved to see more of this character, he's fascinating (I'm ignoring all the unjust treatment of him in TCW).

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I love Samuel L. Jackson's Mace Windu. And Jackson is a good actor, he should not be expected to be pigeonholed into the same roles all the time.

And he was a badass; he didn't need an overly dramatic scene in which he told Dooku to get his motha-****ing Separatists out of the motha-****ing arena in order to prove it, "This party's over" and "I don't think so" were enough.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I could not think of anyone better to play Mace he just fits the role perfectly.

Billy_Dee_Binks and CoolyFett like this.
  15. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Jackson as Mace works for me. He was believable and it was fun to see him get some lightsaber action.

And, besides, he's a fan. You can sense that in his performance.

16. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    someone already mentioned this

but I always thought Denzel Washington would have owned the character of Windu, thus making him a better choice for the role.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  17. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I like Samuel L. Jackson as Mace Windu. I can't picture anyone else playing him.

18. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    I wish he'd been given the investigation storyline in Attack of the Clones

(even if it would basically see him being the space version of the cop that doesn't play by the rules but gets results that he semi frequently plays in other films)

Barbecue17 likes this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I have to side with CA. The role of Mace did not play to SLJ's strengths as an actor.

deathraygun and Ananta Chetan like this.
  20. PapiNacho

PapiNacho Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2015
    Mace Windu is Sam Jackson. without him there isn't a character.

21. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    He was fine. I think the main issue is that, much like the rest of the PT, people's expectations were way off. When we heard that Samuel L Jackson would be playing a Jedi, most people immediately imagined Jules Winnefeild with a lightsaber, but that's not who Mace Windu was ever meant to be. Jackson's performance, evaluated on its own terms, is great.

22. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    I thought he did a great job. He acted as a Jedi would act. It also shows that Jackson is capable of range within his acting. Some people really wanted him to be like Jules from Pulp Fiction? Seriously? That is what I gather when people say he was "miscast". He played the role of a noble Jedi and pulled it off great!

CoolyFett, Lulu_Mars and Iron_lord like this.
  23. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    Didn't have the gravitas.

I think RLM's suggestion of Forrest Whittaker is interesting.

I'd prefer the character be cut entirely, he's redundant and all his lines could be handed to Yoda or Obi Wan.

24. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    If we are being circumstantial why does he have to be portrayed by a black actor...

Hugh Jackman.

CoolyFett likes this.
  25. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    While we're at it, does it have to be a man?

Judi Dench.

That said, I love Sam in that role. Mace Windu is a perfectly realized character as far as I'm concerned.