main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT In your opinion, was Samuel L Jackson the right choice to portray Mace Windu?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Jan 31, 2015.

?

Was Samuel L Jackson a good choice for playing Mace Windu?

1. Yes

69 vote(s)
    79.3%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. Neutral stance

9 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. propeller

propeller Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    I like Sam but he phoned that one in. Mind you, the character was basically just someone who pottered around with Yoda making cod-grandiose statements - and that was't Sam's fault.

I still don't know what the point of Mace Windu was, other than to be permanently baffled by the plot's goings on and then to be a somewhat 'meh' sacrifice.

2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I thought Mace's function was obvious: He represents the Jedi, serving as a symbol for their downfall when he loses faith in the Republic and is betrayed by Anakin.

3. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Jackson was the right man for the role.

4. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    Obi Wan already fills that role.

Prequels are filled with redundant characters like Mace Windu or Ric Ollie in TPM.

It's a result of poor writing.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and deathraygun like this.
  5. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Ric Olie is a character in Star Wars
    He has obvious lines
    But I don't think this makes him at all redundant
    He has the role of a pilot
    He is a pilot
    (thank you for the info on how to rp that, Darthipedia)

6. RedVad

Sep 29, 2012
    Ewan McGregor's Obi Wan is underutilized in TPM.

Ric Ollie's role could have easily been given to Obi Wan.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  7. Darth Schlotkin

Darth Schlotkin Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 6, 2015
    Yes...to establish how Obi-Wan simply loved flying...[face_tee_hee]

8. RedVad

Sep 29, 2012
    Easy to write around it.

The only people onboard the Queen's ship while escaping Naboo should have been Obi Wan, Qui Gon and Padme.

Could you imagine if in Empire Strikes Back there were a bunch of random characters onboard the Millennium Falcon?

9. Darth Schlotkin

Jan 6, 2015
    The Queens decoys, security guy (don't remember name), Jar Jar & a pilot were random guys?

Let's see...
    Qui-Gon: ''Stay here on Naboo!''
    Jar Jar: ''Why?''
    Qui-Gon:''..................................................'' < insert how you would justify it.

10. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    I feel there is quite a contrast between now when Samuel owns the part versus most everyone's response back when they first saw TPM in theaters. He had become such a pop icon at that time from being in Tarantino's movie that the transition in many moviegoers minds to see him that role was a pretty big thing to get completely beyond. Now I would say, for most of us here at least, that Sam is Mace, and his PF role is something of a blur in our collective memories.

11. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    You're comparing a royal Naboo ship with its most important passenger being someone who's always being guarded to a personal ship captained by a smuggler who often works with nobody other than himself and his Wookiee copilot

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Samnz like this.
  12. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Personally, if they always only focused on the 'stars' it would make SW feel even smaller than it already does because it seems everyone knows everybody. Ric hardly does anything. I have no problem with a pilot in service of the Naboo. :confused:

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Lulu_Mars like this.
  13. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    I didnt like SLJ as Windu for a long time. He felt forced and unnatural as a jedi - in the same way many felt about Hayden as Anakin. The difference for me being that any awkwardness (intentional or otherwise) in Hayden's portrayal of Anakin actually complimented that character's story. SLJ also felt like a bit of a gratuitous celeb cameo role to me.

Ive subsequently grown to accept and even enjoy the uniqueness of the character, but it took some time to let that one set in.

14. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Honestly, I don't know how Samuel L. Jackson would've been considered for the part of reserved Jedi Master, but he must've nailed that audition because he actually pulls it off. I really grew into his character in Attack of the Clones - one unsurprisingly thing about Jackson is that he handles himself well in the action scenes.

I think he's talking about the group of pilots and security that followed the Queen onboard the shuttle (I often forget they're there since they seem to disappear when they're on Tatooine).

Also, for RedVad's post, there was an additional crew of extras operating the guns of the Millennium Falcon for the Battle of Endor, but they got cut.

15. RedVad

Sep 29, 2012
    Qui-Gon: ''Stay here on Naboo!''
    Jar Jar: ''Why?''
    Qui-Gon:''We need you to stay here and free more prisoners, build a resistance. Try to contact Boss Nass for help''

16. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Not to the same extent. Mace illustrates the failure - and the death - of the Jedi Order. His death marks their doom and he actually abandons the democratic ideals of the Jedi, which is something Obi-Wan never does.
    What's more, Mace offers other perspectives. He's a strict Jedi Master with a character all his own. IMO, he was a much needed foil for Anakin and the others. Sure, there had to be some sort of tension between Anakin and Obi-Wan as well, for dramatic purposes, but that could only be taken so far. Especially in ROTS, they have a tangible, brotherly bond. Mace's distrust towards Anakin complements that nicely, IMO.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  17. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
  18. Darth Schlotkin

Jan 6, 2015
    ;)

Andy Wylde likes this.
  19. Haruss

Haruss Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2014
    Nope. Very flat and uninteresting performance. Only marginally better than Christensen and Portman delivered.

Sarge and deathraygun like this.
  20. Thom Skywalker

Thom Skywalker Jedi Master star 1

Dec 1, 2014
    He is an actor... Not just a "wise-cracking, sarcastic, borderline ghetto badass characters" actor....

I like his style as the cruel teacher...
    The padawans should have avoided him whenever possible....

21. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Oh, agreed 100%. I meant that to me it seems Jackson is somewhat typecast in such a role

Then again, if Schwarzenegger can overcome the action hero typecast and become a comedy movie star....

22. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I think SLJ was a great choice for Windu, and I think he portrayed him as best as he could. He played Mace Windu as a hard *** and is responsible for one of the best lines (and best delivery of said line) in the whole Saga.

"This party's over."
    Plus if it wasn't for SLJ, we wouldn't have the wicked purple saber. It helps to have some reputable actors and big names in a movie, and Jackson is just one of them.

23. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    FWIW, Lucas did not hire Jackson because he was famous. In fact, he points out in one of the documentaries that Sam wasn't very well known at all among 12 year olds (the target audience), as most of them had likely never seen him in a movie before.
    Rather, he hired him because he is an excellent actor who really wanted the job.

24. Darth Schlotkin

Jan 6, 2015
    Which still shows because he still talks with pride about playing in these movies!

25. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    I can't imagine the prequels without SLJ. It's actually not something I've ever questioned. While I did feel he was a bit stiff in TPM and somewhat underused in AOTC (at least until Geonosis), it's sensible that a senior member of the Jedi Council be restrained and embody the wise and reserved nature of the Jedi pre-Clone Wars. And he got some of the most important action in the whole saga what with his duel with Palpatine and Anakin's subsequent involvement.

pepoluan, jahyeshua and rumsmuggler like this.