main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga In your opinion, which Star Wars movie is the most underrated or most overrated movie? And why?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by SW Saga Fan, Aug 6, 2015.

1. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Feel free to share your thoughts!

I will immediately begin with this.

Most underrated Star Wars movie in my opinion: The Phantom Menace, I still think that this movie is a victim of the over-expectations back in 1999 and isn't as bad as its reputation indicates it. I think it's a better movie than Attack of the Clones.

Most overrated Star Wars movie in my opinion: It's very hard to tell. I don't think any of those movies are overrated. But I'm tempted to say that it's Empire (I may get a lot of fire and a ton of slaps on my face) since I think that A New Hope (the original Star Wars) is a better movie than Empire. But who knows? In a few months it may be The Force Awakens since I don't expect it to be better than the originals (which a lot of people are starting to think before even seeing the movie), but not bad either.

2. James T Kirk

James T Kirk Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 22, 2015

Phantom is the better movie. And as for slaps on your face, well yes I think you can expect some; and let me be the first to give you one! :p No, I guess you can like ANH more than ESB.....I take back my slap.

I think ROTS is the most overrated of the series because it always get held up against the other two films of the PT and not any of the OT it seems. Yes it's the best of the PT, but it's still not great, and I feel as though people give more than it deserves because of this and to soften the failure of the PT. Just my opinion, and I accept any slaps I may receive for stating such.

There are no overrated SW films ;)

Darth Basin, Revyl Ren and Sarge like this.
  3. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    ESB is the most overrated period.

TPM is the most underrated followed closely by AOTC.

4. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    AOTC: Is the most underrated, is has mystery, drama and action...and imo has the best cinematography in the whole saga,

ESB: slow in parts, and out of all of them seems a tad more pretentious, my vote for overrated.

Huttese 101, Tonyg, Davak24 and 5 others like this.
  5. Powerful Lord

Powerful Lord Jedi Knight star 1

May 10, 2015
    Who? I don't see anyone thinking it will be as good as ANH or Empire, at most, some say it might be better than Return of the Jedi, what most seem to be hoping is for it to be better than the Prequels.

6. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015

Anthony Daniels, C3-P0 himself, said it, and he seems to not be the only one:

Link: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/C-3P...ht-Better-Than-Empire-Strikes-Back-68030.html

But back to the main topic.

7. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Intrinsically, to me, it kind of feels like AOTC is the most derided, and treated with the greatest sarcasm and contempt, not TPM -- which would be the only other sensible answer to give, in my opinion, for "underrated".

Given the complexity of AOTC's storyline, the generous sweep of its art direction, the sense of galactic vastness it capably summons and sustains, the intimate, novel-like feel of its central character construction, its operatic intensity, and the sheer beauty of its very wide and colourful cinematography, I can't help feel that it's incredibly devalued as a very lively and wonderfully esoteric chapter in the Star Wars mythos. Perhaps you really have to be anchored to the Anakin character to truly enjoy it, however.

I'll give the moniker of "overrated" to TESB, I think. More a "process of elimination" thing. Despite some strong humour, it is that bit more self-serious than the other Star Wars episodes, in my opinion, and moves in a slightly lugubrious fashion. Then again, it earns the right to be different, in my view; and it's still a fun caper in spite of it all. I suppose the way it is hoisted up very nearly as the "alpha" and the "omega" of Star Wars annoys me at times. It quite deserves to be, but I also think it's a bit ludicrous. Go figure.

A little shout-out to ANH, as well. In a broader "saga" view, it is sometimes pushed aside for being comparatively thin and simplistic. Well, it truly is a bit sparse, but if you take it as a palate-cleanser after the fantastic sweep of ROTS and the PT, its peculiar charms begin to shine out again, and you see Star Wars being reborn before your very eyes. If the saga is all about perception, then you need to enter into the film with a different mindset. It's a process of embracing the story on different scales to get the most out of it. The film is an artful exercise in unknowing and learning to perceive anew.

Huttese 101, Tonyg, Davak24 and 7 others like this.
  8. Powerful Lord

Powerful Lord Jedi Knight star 1

May 10, 2015
    He's an actor in the film, they usualy hype the film a lot for fans. But i realy see no fan saying Force Awakens will be the best SW film yet.

9. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    The most over rated is ESB.

The most underappreciated now is TSW.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  10. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015

TSW?

11. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
  12. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    No, it doesn't. It equals The Star Wars the original version.

13. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    oh I thought it was just ANH, but with it's original name.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  14. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Better in what sense? Enjoyable? Contributions to the Saga? As pure filmmaking? I think my answer would vary based on the criteria for best.

Huttese 101 and Cryogenic like this.
  15. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Just want to refine my comment here:

All the films are just such an exercise in their own way.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  16. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    TPM is definitely the most underrated to me. I's the last SW movie to not carry the digitized quality, and in that way makes it feel more like the OT than the others in the PT.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  17. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    As far as underrated SW films go AOTC takes the cake. It's a very polarizing film. Lucas took risks that weren't well-received, but I applaud the film's boldness. It has a great story, great characterization, and the most exhilarating climax in the saga.

Most overrated would undoubtedly be Empire. It's a good film for sure, but I feel it reigns over the rest - as far as fan perception goes - solely because of the Cloud City sequence. The middle is lackluster and the pacing overall isn't great. It's a very influential film, but I've come to the conclusion that A New Hope is superior, though not by a great deal.

Tonyg, Davak24, -Jedi Joe- and 4 others like this.
  18. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    TPM is the most underrated to be sure. A lot of people can't see past the "Jar Jar stepping in poodoo" stuff, but it really is a great film that showcases the Jedi in their milieu at the twilight of the Old Republic. It also (arguably) feels the most like "classic" SW. I remember the first time I saw it, after the finish, 3 guys behind us started calling out "Eh, it's too much like Return of the Jedi!" Since Jedi is my favorite,maybe that's the reason I like it so much.

TESB obviously. Great film of course, but I never saw the appeal in "The good guys lose, so it's cool!" concept many people have. I mean. it's the 2nd act. Did anybody really think the good guys would stay down in the last act? A lot of people also criticize ROTJ's Endor scenes as "nothing special", but I have the same feeling for most of the Falcon's "space chase". They just hide out for the middle of the movie until Han remembers Lando. Not really the most compelling stuff in the saga.

Huttese 101 and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  19. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Underrated - Attack of the Clones

This movie is one of the most underrated movies of the last 15 years.The relationship of Anakin/Padme, the Jedi kicking butt at Geonosis, the Clone Wars beginning, Obi-Wan's investigation field trip, the incredible Sir Christopher Lee as Count Dooku. I really don't see why it gets hated on.

Overrated - The Empire Strikes Back

I don't get why people think this movie is so great. First off, there is very little plot or advancing of the overall narrative of the saga. I feel like I can turn off the movie after Hoth and really not miss anything (although, admittedly, the Yoda/Luke scenes are both enjoyable and important). Han and Leia getting chased across the galaxy by Vader is much less interesting than knowing what the Alliance is up to in the war against the Empire. Honestly, the whole Han/Leia thing could have been dealt with off-screen IMO (which isn't to say the acting or presentation was bad - I just found that particular story thread boring).

I also think they should have just killed off Han. Would have raised the stakes and freed ROTJ to deal with the war for its whole runtime, plus it would have fully resolved the Han/Jabba plotline. Thirdly, there is no resolution to the main plot of the movie - ESB leaves you with a cliffhanger, but nothing is resolved. In my opinion, a good cliffhanger involves one side triumphing over the other, and then a massive teaser for the next movie/episode/whatever. ESB did the second, but not the first. The Luke/Vader plotline, the main thread of the entire movie, was left unresolved, and the Alliance vs Empire plotline was relegated to off-screen.

I like ESB but these are reasons why I think it's overrated.

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    RotJ for most underrated. I know, Jabba's palace drags, 2nd Death Star is boring idea, cheesy Ewoks... but the throne room scenes are truly astounding.

21. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Over: ROTS
    Under: ROTJ

22. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Just a few further remarks:

TPM

Definitely underrated. Not going to throw it to the wolves. Ever. Its preliminary quality seems to serve as some sort of impediment for some to enjoy it. That plus the more nakedly "childish" tone. Given the sights and sounds on other, it's a very exorbitant fantasy flick, however. And I have no problem with the former elements. Indeed, it's very lush and regal, and has a beautiful innocence -- combined with darker undertones -- that I really like and admire. Plus it is ironic and melancholic in all the ways it needs to be. It works on its own, but clearly gains depth when treated in broader terms. It lays the foundation for the expanded saga in a fairly rounded and cogent way, IMO. Then you have the more experimental aspects on offer, like a drag race in the middle of the movie, phlegmatic heroes, and visuals that seem almost preposterously vast compared to the relatively spartan dialogue. The direction -- when taken to mean the entire movie (visuals are "directed" as much as people) -- is amazingly bold. It marks a progression in Lucas' storytelling skills since the OT, in my view.

AOTC

Now, yes. This episode definitely has the densest story, in my opinion. Plus a very strong sense of characterization, and as Mindless Monster said, (arguably) the series' most exhilarating climax; or, again, certainly the densest, I think. Compared to TPM, the direction here is bolder still, and takes on a bewildering quality. When you consider all the shifting scenery -- visual, tonal, psychological -- I think Clones emerges as Lucas' most ambitious work. It's a crazy mosaic. The film is something of a messy, multi-hued masterpiece. And there is an immensity of subtle details at work. This is why I contend it is the most underrated. Plus Christopher Lee and killer robots, of course!

TESB

Even if I find it to be the most overrated, I feel compelled to defend it a little. The stripped-down nature of the story, with the Rebels-versus-Empire plot pushed into the background, is a smart choice, allowing the "inner" to prevail over the "outer". Depending on how you look at it (again: perception is 9/10ths of the law), either TESB or AOTC are the most solipsistic and outrageous of their brethren; and while AOTC is galactic, TESB is more needle-like and localized. Two ways of saying the same thing. The claustrophobic nature of the story here is something the film really runs with to convey mood and themes. The pacing might be a little peculiar (though, honestly, I feel you could make this claim for all the movies -- except maybe ANH and ROTS: the lithest, to me, despite their opposing tones), but it works out well enough at keeping the audience on its toes, and it all wraps up nicely enough at the end. Or does it?

Perhaps TESB does shirk its obligations to resolve certain aspects of the Rebels-versus-Empire plot in a more decisive manner, but again, that isn't part of its focus. And I like the fact that the characters are somewhat adrift at the end. None of them has entirely prospered: good or bad. I enjoy the way a resolution is teased ("I'll meet you at the rendezvous point on Tatooine"), but the characters are sort of left hanging (like Luke is several times in the movie -- yes?). This goes to why many people proclaim it the best of the series. My issue with it is the more the gloom of it; it almost strays too far from "Star Wars"-y-ness, but just tows the line. Still, there are livelier installments, and that might inform my attitude in considering it the most overrated. Even as I respect it tremendously.

Tonyg, Eternal_Jedi, lbr789 and 4 others like this.
  23. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Underrated: ROTJ, always stood well with the other OT films IMO.

Overrated: Maybe ANH or ROTS? I don't know, as I don't really have any star wars film that's overrated.

haleyorgana and MOC Yak Face like this.
  24. Jangounchained1990

Jangounchained1990 Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2015
    The original star wars is probably is the best looking OT star wars film. Actually I think the reason why Lucas preffer actors and animals in suits is because unlike puppets and stop motion you get really natural movements that way. That's why the Banthas come off as so much more believable then many of the other giant alien creatures. Also the original star wars is the only film were I really care that much about Han in the sequels it almost feels like he is just supposed to be the there so Leia can have a love intrest.

25. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    The Star Wars is underappreciated in my experience due to many dismissing it's original version as invalid it seems due to age or a perceived lack of depth. Quite a shame. Ageism is a terrible thing directed at art or people. For Cushy, age is to be respected and has great potential to gain knowledge and insight from.

Simplicity and straightforwardness don't equate to lack of nuance, depth, or layers as many imply. Indeed it's quite sad that many seem quite happy to ignore and deride what kicked off the whole phenomena. I will never understand that and no I don't buy 'not the vision!' Lucas released The Star Wars in '77 fans shouldn't be penalized for liking it and quite often we are by fellow fans for no reason.

All SW films have flaws and strengths. Yet, I think often the young particularly have no appreciation for older things, turning their noses up simply for that reason alone. I love visuals and layers. I love to think. TSW gives me that in spades because it states quite obviously via narrative everyone's grey and I love both the X-Wing and the Star Destroyer vessels.

ESB is over rated I feel for the opposite reason sort of: The story is very simple and not much happens. It tries to be dark and atmospheric and falls completely flat. Vader really isn't cool. The training with Yoda is too short. It doesn't read well.

VMeran and -Jedi Joe- like this.