main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Inauguration? MLK? Phhhht. It's National Squirrel Appreciation Day!

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Jan 21, 2013.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Ta da!

It's that time of year again. No, January 21 is not just the start of excessively premature Valentine's Day ads, it's also Squirrel Appreciation Day. What a nutty holiday.
    Squirrels have had a busy year. They've faced off with a Lamborghini, set off a fire alarm and invaded an ER.
    Perhaps best known as the animal that likes acorns and gets run over by cars a lot, it's about time we take a step back to appreciate the finer side of squirrels.
    National Geographic reports that there are over 300 squirrel species throughout the world, with sizes ranging from just five inches long (nose to tail) to three feet long. They're wily creatures -- according to NWF, squirrels hide their food through a complex process where they pretend to bury the item multiple times before actually choosing a hiding spot.
    They've faced many challenges over the past year, surviving hurricanes, dealing with pepper-spraying officers, and being confronted with potential acorn shortages.
    According to the National Wildlife Federation, Squirrel Appreciation Day was created by Christy Hargrove, a wildlife rehabilitator from North Carolina.

skiouros--> sciurus --> escurel-->Squirrel.

[​IMG]

Alpine marmot. 3 feet long. (Is that an Alpine marmot in your pants ar are you happy to see me? You can use that).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Squirrles are evil, don't like em', don't trust em', supports owls.

[​IMG]

VadersLaMent and Alpha-Red like this.
  3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I appreciate squirrels... except for the times when they've made it 90% of the way across the street and then decide that it would make more sense to try to run all the way back to where they started.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I am all on board for Squirrel Appreciation Day!

[​IMG]

I keep hoping that Joss Whedon will either have SquirrelGirl in Avengers 2 or at least have Thanos make some comment about her. :p

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    :_| Once, a squirrel darted across the road, I hit it though I tried to swerve. I saw it flipa nd flop in its death throws in my review mirror.

Knock the car in the next lane off the road if you have to.

6. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    I will not hail the Squirrel-and-Chief.

Wrong thread

7. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Colors (lol, no) to whoever guesses how my dad will celebrate this occasion!

8. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    Think of the Squirrel Flyers 49ers?