main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

(incase you missed 3) I AM YOUR FATHER!!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by redfox45, Nov 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfox45

redfox45 Jedi Youngling

Nov 13, 2006
    This is probably the most famous and memorable scene/line in the whole of star wars but did 3 ruin it?

just think for the later generations this part will have no significance, instead of being like "OH MY GOD! YOU DID NOT JUST SAY THAT!" the person is going to be like "...really? i pretty much knew that, it was more or less spelt out for us in episode 3" which completely ruins the famous line and those of us who remember what the shock was like will die out and fade away.

Although it would be prety much imposable i wish lucas made it in a way where we walk away from Anakin and think he is dead as well, and 3 could end like yoda saying "palpatine now has control over the galaxy, the jedi are almost extinct, and there?s another apprentice!" cut to vader and sidious

2. Kiz-Joa_Janall

Kiz-Joa_Janall Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 2005
    No way man. The "I am your father" line still makes me do a mental double-take every time I watch the film. And believe me when I say I watched it too many times for it to be healthy, lol.

3. Darth_Konikus

Darth_Konikus Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Its made clear who Anakin is from Ep 1 and is supposed to be that way because they are prequels. You are supposed to have watched the OT first anway.

4. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    One of projects is to make E3: The Secret Keeper Edition. No use of 'Darth Vader' as a name, we dont know what happened to Anakin when we has left by Obi-wan and Padme doesnt name the twins and we dont know where they went.

5. major_phennir

major_phennir Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2006
    I agree with you redfox45 that the prequels spoil Vader's famous line in TESB. This is one of the many reasons that I've used to support my argument that Lucas should not have made the prequels. Anyone who knows me well, will recall that I have been banging on about this for years.

The fundamental problem with the prequels is that they just don't fit dramatically with the later films. Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi form a coherent trilogy with a distinct beginning, middle and end. They are in themselves a complete story that needs no further exposition and certainly no prequel. They work dramatically because of that simple structure; we get introduced to the characters in Star Wars, the story develops a darker twist in Empire and we are left with a cliff-hanger and Jedi resolves the outstanding issues and plot points. In essence, it completes a satisfactory cycle from beginning to end.

What is clear from even a cursory examination of the Star Wars saga as a whole and the prequels in particular, is despite that Lucas says, this was really a one-film franchise expanded into six. Star Wars is in itself a completely contained story. It needs no further development either before or after the events it depicts. The characters travel through a defined and satisfying story that ends with triumph over the evil Empire. There was clearly no intention to make further films or to have any prequel. It is only in The Empire Strikes Back that we see the development of a richer and darker back story - the revelation of Luke's parentage, the introduction of the Emperor as a major character and the expansion of the concept of the Force and introduction of Yoda. We don't need to know these things or any of the events of the prequels, to enjoy Star Wars as a stand-alone film. After all if we did, the film would never have been a commercial success on its original release.

The prequels, in my view, 'attempt' to expand the story and elaborate a plot that was quite clearly not conceived at the time Star Wars was made. Consequently we have hideous inconsistences and moments that dramatically destroy what comes later. The most potent is perhaps Vader's revelation to Luke in Empire. Then there is also Vader's entrance in Star Wars, which is now meaningless as we are already introduced to the character through the prequels. Instead of first becoming familiar with Vader as an enigmatic and dark villian we now see him as a conflicted, fallen hero. The path to redemption that TESB and ROTJ follow is jarred by the absence of any of this story in Star Wars. In effect, we have the build up of the Vader character in the prequels, his fall from grace and corruption then his redemption in the latter half of the OT but a stalled and completely different character in Star Wars. Of course this was not the case until the prequels were made.

For me one of the most implausible and unnecessary introductions of the prequels was the idea of midichlorians as an explanation for the Force. To me this spoils the whole concept of the Force. It does not need to be explained and I tire of Lucas' insistence that points such as this have to be spelled out in such laborious detail. The art of a good storyteller and for that matter a film-maker, is to leave a certain amount to your audience's imagination. Trust them to discover their own explanations and theories; let there be a little magic and mystery to it all.

Although I love Star Wars and admit to liking Revenge of the Sith, my regret is that the films were not made in sequence and with a clear story in place from the start. I dislike the fact that the prequels are a clumsy bolt-on, which served nothing to enhance the saga.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    For me ROTS worked up to the point of Anakin becoming burnt on Mustafar.

I think then they should've been much more secretive. Shown Vader created, but not made it clear that it was Anakin being rebuilt. Instead just a machine or cyborg creation.
    This would have left people guessing until ESB.

I think the naming of the twins would then have been OK.

Geroge Lucas' intention seems to have been to fit the prequels more with ANH then the other two OT movies.
    We have the "I Have been waiting for you Obi Wan, we meet again at last" line. And "Vader betrayed and murdered your father" line.

I am also annoyed by Lucas modifying the OT to fit in with the prequels, rather then making the prequels fit.

7. major_phennir

major_phennir Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2006
    Agreed. All adds weight to my argument that there really was never a detailed back-story to Star Wars as Lucas has claimed.

8. Darth_Paddy_666

Darth_Paddy_666 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2006
    I just enjoyed the moment for what it was - Knowing now that Mark Hamil didn't have a clue up until then made it all them more special in my humble opinion!

9. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    A bit like the scene in Alien where William Hurt dies, the rest of the cast were not told lol.

There was enough backstory tbh, if you have ever read the Annotated Screenplays (published by Titan) you can see how much the story developed over time, but I don't believe he ever had it written out complete. IMHO, the prequels have a fairly solid story, it's just not like the Classic trilogy where it stays pretty close in the timeline - a few years between each. It was the excecution of and not the actual material that people seem to have the most problem with.

10. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    i agree with everything major phennir says,and he is quite right-he has frequently banged on about the clumsiness of the prequels...
    even through production of the OT it's clear that lucas was making it up as he went along... scenes of luke and leia snogging/kissing being shot with the clear knowledge that you are going to reveal them as siblings is just wrong!
    not to mention the many plot discrepancies...
    and isn't timbolton thinking of john hurt... although william hurt would have been great in alien,too.

11. _Durge_

_Durge_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2003
    personally i dont think we should have seen vader at all in rots
    maybe had palpatine look around at someone who wasnt in shot
    and hear the breathing
    just to please the fanboys
    when we see anakin burning on mustafar and obi wan leaving then i think thats the last we should see of anakin in that film
    i dont think we needed to see palpatine saving anakin
    it would have become a lot clearer that palpatine did save anakin and turned him into darth vader after watching rotj in my opinion
    but i guess it was to please all the demands by the fans and save the prequels from totally dying
    plus as someone has already said
    lucas wanted to tie in obi wans and darths conversation on the death star
    but i felt it didnt need explained
    they could have fought at some stage between rots and anh
    and when obi wan says to luke that vader destroyed his father then we will all just think
    you liar you did it
    and probably we didnt need to see the birth of luke and leia in my opinion
    just knowing padme was pregnant was a hint in later films about luke and leia
    but not totally clear as to ruin it
    i like the idea of some of the shocks being kept for tesb and rotj

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.