main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph INCEPTION- Christopher (BWONNNNG) Nolan's (BWONNNNG) new (BWONNG) film (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    My (related) hang up is on a seemingly minor scene. British dude chides 3rd Rock from the Sun kid that he shouldn't be afraid to imagine bigger (or somesuch), pulling out a grenade launcher to one up 3rd Rock's machine gun.

I'm probably missing something obvious, but doesn't that change everything? You're in someone else's dream but can whip up anything you want (unlike the involuntary train). Why not a bank truck so those pesky bullets wouldn't turn your van into swiss cheese, or a helicopter, etc. etc. etc.
    There's no shortage of scenes where the characters wouldn't have imagined up whatever they needed if they had that ability, changing the entire dynamic of being in the dream world.

Did anyone else have a problem with that?

2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    It wasn't "imagine bigger", it was "dream bigger", which is a common phrase/slogan; basically, he's making a play on words (think bad Bond puns/ innuendo). I never thought he just whipped the gun up, he just chose it from the arsenal that was already there.

But that was just my interpretation.

Edit:typo

3. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    The Inception trailer using footage from Pixar's UP. Nicely done... It looks like the characters in Up are actually saying the lines in the trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY69-AgUmDQ

EDIT: Here's the Toy Story 3 version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHJwgA54Gqk&NR=1

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Ugh, that would just make everything worse. Explain every plot hole and inconsistency and basically address every complaint with "HE WAS DREAMING THE ENTIRE TIME YOU GUYS!" Brilliant.

I haven't read the link yet. I will later.

5. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    A couple things make me think it was all a dream(I wouldn't like that but you know). 1. The chase in Mombassa seemed pretty dreamlike. People were running into cars and then still going. The two walls that Cobb got wedged between was a little weird. 2. The ending with his kids. The kids turning too him was too dreamy. The kids were in the exact same position as they were in his dream. He was standing in the same place as well. Just this time they turned their faces to him. The kids may have even been wearing the same exact clothes.

6. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Is this now a meme? Because I saw the same thing done with Gran Torino. :p

7. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I saw it done with Bill and Ted's Excellent Inception.

8. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    I should clarify: I meant using the Up trailer video and then using the audio from another movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TuRbk-00Sw

9. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Ah well trailer mash-ups are nothing new. In fact they are a little too common for my tastes, and too often they're really, really poorly done.

10. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    Well at least you'll be approaching it with an open mind.

11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I mentioned this earlier, but why would Cobb's subconscious be telling him to wake up?

...Also a classic way for an action movie to create suspense.

...and mindless action movie logic.

I guess that makes sense.

...movie ...action ... (correctly) expecting the audience to largely accept it ...

Really? How... boring. If the film is really just an allegory, it makes all the twists and turns and setup amount to nothing. If all that mattered was Cobb-- "the director"-- why bother building that (rather) complicated, hole-filled world? Ugh, another bad taste. It also seems like it'd be rather insulting to the rest of the creative team on a film. :p

What was that movie with Eddie Murphy and Steve Martin and Heather Graham? Now there was a good film about filmmaking, and it didn't even bother with a messed-up allegory!

And oh god, the comments are filled with a bunch of Freudian crap. Stab me in the eyes, please.

EDIT: Bowfinger!

12. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001

13. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Absolutely loved it. Made all the better by my incredibly low expectations when I went to see it. I find Nolan remarkably hit and miss and this was most definitely a hit. I can't think of any flaw whatsoever.

14. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    In response to the linked article, how does the entire movie being a dream make sense for the movie making allegory, if the real world is the dream(movie)? If Cobb is the "director", then his "movie" would surely be the three layer dream, and not any of what was happening in "reality", since that is where he assembled his "film crew". It's an interesting allegory, but it certainly doesn't mean that what is supposed to be reality is not reality, and it definitely does not in any way concretely support that the entire thing was a dream--to me it would seem to say the exact opposite. The "project" they're working on is Fletcher's dream, not prior to that.

I think people are starting to confuse "action movie logic" with "dream logic" just to support their theory. People are hit all the time with cars in action movies.

15. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    [image=http://a.imageshack.us/img594/4163/inceptionp1.jpg]

16. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I've just seen this film and I really liked it. :) The nerd in me especially enjoyed the messing around with Physics in dreams (Escheresque staircases FTW! :D). Although I did guess the end twist about halfway into the film... :p

17. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    hi inschleption

18. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Even moar graphics! to confuse or enlighten

[image=http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/204/1/a/Inception_Infographic_by_dehahs.jpg]

19. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    It's even drawn in an Escheresque style! [face_love] *has nerdgasm*

20. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't get what's with all the graphics explaining the "layers." That, in fact, was very easy to follow-- the movie pretty much went out of its way to help the audience keep them straight.

The last one just makes it seem a lot more confusing than it actually is.

21. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    It was very easy to follow.

But many people I know got confused.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Why do you associate with such simpletons, then?

23. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    You associate here as well, Jello.

Back-to-Back!: 2008-2009 & 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: World Champions:cool:

24. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm kinda stuck hanging out with engineers.

25. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Don't know if this one was brought up before, but did anyone else notice that the blonde girl who hit on Cillian Murphy in that hotel bar (at the start of Dream #2) looked like the creature from Splice? If you watch Inception again notice the girl's eyes...

They looked scary :p

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/punkboi/main_splice02.jpg]