main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph INCEPTION- Christopher (BWONNNNG) Nolan's (BWONNNNG) new (BWONNG) film (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Jul 14, 2010.

1. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    I thought it was incredible. Best movie I've seen in years. I don't think there's ever been a film structured like this and that alone was dazzling.

I honestly didn't think it was much like the Matrix at all.

2. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    It really isn't, except for the physics-changing stuff that happens, and maybe the fact that if you don't pay attention and think a little along the way, you won't understand what's happening when they constantly switch between settings toward the end. (This happened to two ladies who sat next to me in the theater. They kept letting out groans and checking their watches for most of the second half.)

To be honest I have no idea about any of that stuff. I guess the film just requires you to buy into the plot a little in the beginning. There's no detailed explanation of how the technology works or any of the scientific stuff, so you're pretty much left either buying it outright, or in your case, being a little disappointed.

3. DarthDragon164

DarthDragon164 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    [image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100108063330/uncyclopedia/images/b/b5/Exploding-head.gif]

4. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Awesome movie. Don't think it will be my favorit of all time, but still damn good. I like complex movies that make you think.

5. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    [image=http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/MMPH/246548.jpg] + [image=http://www.moviegoods.com/Assets/product_images/1020/248524.1020.A.jpg] + [image=http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/images/oceans11_cover.jpg] = [image=http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2010/07/16/inception_movie_poster_270x400.jpg]

And it sure did rock my ******* socks off.
    One of the best I've seen in a while.

6. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Absolutely brilliant film. Nolan delivers again. Loved it.

7. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    Well, it was certainly ambitious, and I definitely loved the "Layer upon layer upon layer" concept, but I'd definitely be surprised if it the storyline holds up to strict logical scrutiny (Just one question I have: When they were worried how they would get out of the dreams, why didn't they just suggest all killing themselves/each other. It was explained later why it wouldn't work in this case, but only after they devised their crazy scheme). Also, how could they instantaneously know that the inception was successful? Perhaps over the next few hours/days Cillian Murphy's character would reject the idea.

Overall, I'd put it ahead of the incredibly overrated Dark Knight but not as good as Batman Begins and nowhere near The Prestige.

8. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I am physically incapable of watching DiCaprio's movies. >_>

9. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Saw it, loved it, and it's made the DVD collection after the first viewing. I have only one bone to pick: I disagree with the very last shot of the spinning top. My personal preference would to have been to see him spin it, and then *not* cut back to it after we see the kids turn, which would really play up the ambiguity, rather than being a fairly clear indication that he's still dreaming (the top stops after a lot less time when he's in the real world). Just my $.02 - I'll probably start using this movie to discuss Cartesian skepticism in my Introduction to Philosophy classes now.

10. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I wish more college professors thought as you do, Quix.

11. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    Oh, and another thing that bothered me

Why did Leo have to use inception to bring his wife out of the dream? Couldn't he have just "killed" her?

12. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Didn't they take some drug to sleep longer, thus making the "kill ourselves to wake up" method unusable?

13. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    After my second viewing I still have to say the ending frustrated me. I wanted that damn top to fall so bad, the first since I watched it by myself I actually yelled at the screen for it to fall.

14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I enjoyed it a lot and it's quite a mind****.

Seriously though, WHAT is the deal with Nolan putting the title of his films at the end? :p

15. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    Didn't care for it. The exposition grew to be really tedious, DiCaprio played DiCaprio, the other characters were total information-delivery machines. I never felt I was really inside anyone's head - it's weirdly objective for a film that deals with dreams. The ideas were well thought out but ultimately felt forced/flimsy.

The special and optical effects were really well done and I really admired the sequences in the hotel hallway with J G-L.

16. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
    Alright, why does the business owners probably millionaire son take a taxi in the first place? This is really bothering me for some reason. :p

Other than that, Nolan is awesome.

17. zonzo

zonzo Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2007
    An excellent film overall, though some of it's logic doesn't quite hold up in my mind.

The ending is just evil, too :p

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I enjoyed it well enough. The characters seemed rather vestigial outside of Ariade and Cobb, but that was forgivable given the pacing of the film. I feel more development may have actually detracted from that. I do regret that the dreams weren't more unique but I imagine that they are all trained to make it look as realistic as possible rather than, well, dream-like.

The layers intersected well and it felt neither convoluted or overly simplistic. It was just complex enough to be satisfying and fit dramatic expectations. It was a hard/gritty take on a fanciful subject.

I especially enjoyed the literary resonances of the name Ariadne, but more on that when I am not typing from a phone. I will just say that it informed my understanding of the film on several levels while neatly subverting it at the same time.

19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    That last shot, I had the exact same reaction I had when I saw Before Sunset in theatres the first time, which was just "cut! CUT NOW! CUT DAMMIT! YESSSSS!" :p Everyone in the theatre gasped and groaned, which means Nolan did his job.

Great movie.

I am not bothered by the fact that dreams aren't quite like this or this logical and real, because these aren't natural dreams. They're constructed, induced dreams where the target isn't supposed to know they're dreaming. So while apparently some had problems with that, I was okay.

Also, I did think once or twice there was some very obvious expository dialogue, but then I realized I would have had no literally no way of knowing what was going on without it. Didn't bother me.

Really great. I hope it does really well to show the studios that people will still go for an original, unconventional film instead of just sequels to crappy movies.

20. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The theater in which I saw it as gasped very loudly as well. Incredible movie.....................easily the best I've seen so far this year.

My thoughts/question on the ending: LOVED, LOVED the ending. Gave me a chill when that last panned to the spinning top.............................however, since he's still clearly dreaming, one wonders who he's working with on this. Who exists and who doesn't? :p

Back-to-Back!: 2008-2009 & 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: World Champions:cool:

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't know why people are assuming that's so clear. I actually thought, it was "clear" that he wasn't dreaming. There's really nothing to support that his assignment and all was a dream. I thought it was more about the fact that there would always be these lingers doubts for him about what was real and what wasn't.

But see, I think the fact that very different things were "clear" to people about the ending is what makes it so perfect and effective.

I felt like this movie was Kubrick meets The Matrix meets Blade Runner.

22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I've never seen Blade Runner, and the only Kubrick film I've seen is A Clockwork Orange, so I can't attest to that.

Well, I suppose the point of the final shot being of the totem spinning, but begging to hobble, is left for us to decide. Sure he can question his continuing reality, but he had a relative good grasp on the before. I like to think that he's still dreaming, because perhaps all of what we saw was a grand scheme for him to see his kids again, because we never seem their faces until the very end. If he weren't dreaming, wouldn't have said something to everyone at the airport? Cillian Murphy gives him a look, though they had only "met" on the plane, and only for a few seconds.

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't think he would say anything to them in the airport because he didn't want to tip off Murphy's character that they were a team. I think he gives him that look because he has a vague memory of him being "Mr. Charles" from his dream.

But I'm pretty positive we already saw the totem spin and *fall* in the reality portion of the film before. Which means it can't all be a dream. In that last shot, it's clearly wobbling and they cut before you know whether it's gonna fall or not. Brilliance.

24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Those are very good/solid arguments. Perhaps the point is leave enough ambiguity to create debate/have people talk about the ending, because it could really go either way. If it was certain that Leo was still dreaming or not at the end, then we would have definitely had seen the totem either stop or not.

25. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I guess another interpretation is that it doesn't matter whether the top falls or doesn't. His consciousness had been so compromised by the trauma from limbo and Mel's departure as symbolized by him co-opting her totem, that he would not be able to tell, could easily be living in a limbo construct where the top falls for him. Getting back to his children was more important to him than whether the experience was "real."

Or maybe not.