main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph INCEPTION- Christopher (BWONNNNG) Nolan's (BWONNNNG) new (BWONNG) film (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    DarthLowBudget, have you read the explanation put up over at CHUD? You sound in line with it a bit.

It's an interesting read for anyone that's seen the movie, located here

2. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Yeah, chud is the other board I frequent. I'm not sure I fall 100% in line with Devin's assertion that every frame of the movie is a dream. I think it could be read that way, but I don't think its necessary or essential to an appreciation of the film, which I think is just as strong if taken literally.

Another viewing is definitely needed though, and it might change the way I think about the film.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    On your second viewing, pay close attention to what people say to Cobb.

4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Mmm I will also need to do that. Definitely should see it again. And Billy, I think your explanation about the real importance of the ending is an extremely good point. Yeah, we're not supposed to know. But not just because it's a fun puzzle. But because the emotion is real no matter what.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    But it was the whole time, wasn't it? I mean, arguably the important resolution is that he gets over his guilt--but...

There are just so many characters that say things. For example, his dad tells him to get back to reality. That random old guy in the pharmacy says "for them their dreams are reality, who are you to judge otherwise, Mr. Cobb?" I don't think his story is that famous. It's just things like that, impossible to really notice on the first viewing, that make me wonder.

6. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Isn't it kind of lame for the whole movie to be a dream? It seems like the most obvious "twist" to do.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't disagree. And it doesn't necessarily have to be--I mean, it could just be the *end* that was a dream. But unless these things are all weird, inexplicable red-herrings (how would the random guy know anything about Cobb?)... I don't know, I just found myself unable to escape the dream idea the second go around.

8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It makes infinitely more sense, both creatively and logically, for only the end to be a dream than for the whole thing to be. I agree I think that would be a silly cop out. However I don't view it that way at all so it doesn't matter to me :p

9. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007

I don't think the whole thing was a dream, even if it could have been. The end, maybe, and I think there is some evidence to support that, but I found the infinite mirrors concept to be really telling with regard to "What we know is real vs. a dream"--or that it starts to ask, "does it matter?" Row row row your boat...

10. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    The whole thing was a dream. Mal's dream.

11. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    The only way this movie could hold together for me

12. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    I will say this, Inception is the only movie I can think that isn't really harmed as an experience if it is all a dream.

13. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Question: Why was space not effected in the third layer of the dream? Or was that the avalanche?

Is it that time and space ended up to be evened out in the third layer?

14. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    I think the sense of free fall in the first level creates the zero gravity environment of the second level, but because in zero gravity they don't experience the same physical sensation of movement it doesn't effect the third level as much. I think the avalanche is basically all that they feel of the kick in the third level.

15. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Well, the other thing to keep in mind with that is that as I recall, there's a few spots where the same things reappear. Like the phrase "leap of faith" and I think even the train speech.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I didn't know what to make of that, tbh. Like, the train thing makes sense since it notionally happened already. The thing about leaps of faith did repeat itself with Saito, which is why it makes sense when he's old--but then why would he use that exact turn of phrase to begin with? And the whole thing about dying alone, filled with regret seems too knowing the first time he says it, in the helicopter.

17. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I mean more that Mal uses the phrase leap of faith as well, as I recall, in the scene where she jumps. I think is where that came in. I'd have to recheck.

18. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Yeah, that stuck out to me too.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    No, Saito uses it first--when he's in the helicopter trying to get Cobb to do the mission, as well as the old man with regrets thing. The latter comes back twice--once when Saito is shot, and then at the end. The leap of faith thing is used by Mal, certainly--but that's what I mean, though, it's curious that Saito repeatedly uses things that would seem to resonate with what happened with Mal.

Admittedly in any other work I'd call it thematic unity but... :p

20. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    New interpretation for fun, and cuz I don't think I saw this.... was Saito a victim of inception to begin with, as Cobb planted the idea of inception in his head in the beginning to then get Saito to come hire Cobb to use inception on someone else because Cobb knew that Saito had the right connections to get his charges to disappear?

21. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    I'm not sure that's really supported in the text. I mean, its possible, but I think at that point we're talking about hypothetical movies.

22. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    It does require an interpretation that the stuff that looks like reality is, indeed, reality, I'll grant. However, it was a vibe I got very early on while watching, since Cobb describes the idea of inception to Saito in the first bit.

23. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    Interesting point. More things to watch for on second viewing.

24. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, when Cobb see's his children at the end of the film...are they crouched on the ground just as they always were in the dreams, before they turn around? Were the dreams prophetic...or, was something going on there?

25. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    I don't know. The clothes are actually different, and the credits list two sets of actors for the kids at two different ages, 3 years apart (I think). Actually, I'm starting to see some of the logic in the idea that the whole film is a dream from frame one and never touches reality, but I'm not sure how much I like it yet. Hasn't quite settled into my brain.