main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Incident involving maniac with road rage

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ezio Skywalker, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Today I was driving home from work along a street between neighborhoods, going 45 mph (despite the posted 40 mph). Anyway, I did a lane change and while there was a motorcycle behind me, he was a very good distance back.

Nonetheless, he raced up to my tail, swerved around me and turned to flip me the bird (I presume he was probably going well over the posted 40 mph, though at the time of the lane change everything looked just fine). Well, as it turns out, when he turned around in his seat to flip me off, the road curved and he rode his bike up into the median.

Whatever, I shrugged it off and kept on my way. A few minutes after, I saw him racing down the road in my rearview mirror. He swerved in and out of what was now a single lane road, maneuvering through cars just to get right back on my tail.

I had just got off work, so needless to say, dealing with this was definitely not on the top of my list. Realizing I couldn't lead this moron back to my house, I turned into another neighborhood. He kept following me, tailing me with barely a foot of space between his bike and the rear bumper of my SUV. By this time, I was on the phone with 911 while I continued to circle through this neighborhood with him riding my rear.

Then, all of a sudden, he took off and left the neighborhood. 911 stayed on the line for a few minutes after to make sure he was gone and I filed a police report (though I couldn't get the guy's license plate).

Has anyone else encountered bothersome road rage incidents like this? Is it possible for such maniacs to track me down via my license plate number? I mean, his face was mere inches away from my license plate for a solid ten minutes. The incident continues to bother me, as I keep thinking about what if this had happened with my kids in the car. Or what if this maniac sees my SUV while I'm driving down that same street again, this time with the kids?

I've seen a lot of motorcycle drivers do a lot of stupid things on these roads, so when I told my neighbors of the incident they all shared similar stories. One neighbor even told me that something similar happened to him and he simply slammed on his brakes to get the biker off his tail (or to potentially paste the biker to his rear bumper, I suppose).

A few nights ago, I'd even seen another biker swerving in and out of traffic in a similar fashion and it just so happened that one of the cars he swerved past was a cop car. That was a satisfying sight.

2. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I remember a biker going out of his way to get in front of me so he could flip me off and I'm pretty sure I hadn't done anything.
    The following that long is a little odd but you'll never see him again.

3. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Unless he lives around my neighborhood. We were in residential areas 10 minutes from my own neighborhood when it all happened. :/

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Well, you did the correct thing by a) keep driving and not stopping, b) doing a pull off into an area not your own and c) calling 911 while doing it. All smart, non-escalating and appropriate activities.

Ender Sai would just accuse you of pulling a gun and shooting him dead.

5. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i would have deployed the road spikes

6. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    You were correct in not stopping at your home or some place which wasn't too public. A guy I worked with was followed home by someone with a nasty case of road rage over something my co-worker had done while he was driving (what exactly it was that upset the guy was never revealed) and as soon as he got out of his car, the guy ran over his legs once, put his pickup into reverse, ran over his legs again and then drove off. A neighbor spotted the driver and the man was arrested that night and was later tried and convicted for attempted murder along with several other charges. My co-worker spent the next two years recovering from his injuries and re-learning how to walk. The incident was almost a decade ago and the guy still has a slight limp.

You also asked about looking you up by your license plate, most folks cannot. The few people who usually can (police, DMV employees, other gov't employees) could *possibly* do this, but the systems that have that sort of access are heavily monitored and the general rule with those is to look up information on a need to know basis. My mother was a social worker for the state years ago and had that ability. She had to have a reason, log it on a form, sign in, click OK on an agreement form (one which states about how it isn't for abuse, etc) and the whole session was logged so that anything out of the ordinary would trigger an alarm. Unless this guy has that kind of access and is willing to potentially lose his job over it then I'd say you're fine.

7. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Thanks guys. Regarding license plates, can someone look up your plate on those sites you have to pay for? Like licenseplateslookup.com?

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Did you remember to kick open your driver side door as he passed?

9. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Interesting thread - nearly the same thing happened to me once, merging into a lane at full speed, and I'm convinced this truck was way behind me. But like your motorcycle was probably speeding, and started swerving by my right side on a freaking bridge. He rolled down his window and was yelling like a madman.

He was forced into the off ramp by his own rage and stupidity, but it made me paranoid for a while. All I can figure is he perceived that I cut him off. There are some real lunatics out there!

10. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I definitely understand that paranoid feeling. Hopefully nothing more comes of my incident. I'm just still paranoid that he lives in the same residential area as me, if not in my exact neighborhood. Plus my car is pretty identifiable with my particular array of bumper stickers. :p

11. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Should have just slammed on your brakes. He'd learn a quick thing or two about Newtonian physics.

If he survives the impact, that is. [face_devil]

12. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    I empathize with bikers. It's dangerous and many people seem to disregard them on the road. But road rage and a vehicular victim mentality are dangerous as well.

Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    As a general rule, just assume all the drivers around you are reckless, angry, incompetent, and texting. You'll be pleasantly surprised when someone isn't any of that.

14. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

i had that happen with a truck too but i couldnt resist calmly cocking my head in a gesture of confusion, then, when he continued to yell, equally calmly smiling and flipping him off. fortunately he just continued accelerating as he leaned out his window flipping me off and screaming and eventually he was out of range

15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i drove through philadelphia once and every driver on the freeway was leaning out of their window and screaming.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I would've become super sayian and yell at the biker until his motorcycle explodes.

17. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    remove the bumper stickers. not because i think he's gonna track you down and kill you but because people shouldn't have bumper stickers as it is.

18. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    A decade ago I had to regularly drive through route 17 N in New Jersey. It was like a Mad Max film waiting to happen.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Are people in New Jersey always really angry?

20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Not really, just terrible drivers.

21. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Luckily I haven't had an encounter like that. Just the usual ******** that gets into my lane in front of me without even using their signals.

22. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    reminds me of all this bullcrap going on:

23. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    YouTube Chuck Brodsky Blow em Away. Very apropos.

24. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I just point my hand at them like a gun and pretend that I am shooting them dead.

25. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I am curious, if someone points a gun at you while you are driving, do you have the right to smash into them to avoid them from taking a shot at you?