main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Incom T-70: X-Wings in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Dak Oolron, Jun 4, 2014.

?

How visible should the X-Wing be in the ST? (Multiple votes are allowed.)

1. I want the X-Wing to appear in the ST just as it was in the OT

61 vote(s)
    24.3%
  2. I want to see a spiritual successor to the OT X-Wing

190 vote(s)
    75.7%
  3. I want to see completely new starfighter(s)

81 vote(s)
    32.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    Hello all,

The "More TMZ photos- props under construction" thread evolved into almost purely a discussion about the starfighter that looks suspiciously like an X-wing derivative. I suggested that we make a new thread specifically dedicated to this topic, since the original thread included set photos of the Millennium Falcon and "Ham Solo."

PrincessKenobi gave her blessing to make a new thread, so please continue the discussion here! :)

A few of the previous subtopics discussed:
    • Size/number of engines
    • Comparisons of the leaked photos to existing starfighters
    • Boxy vs smooth appearance
    • Longevity of service for military aircraft
    • Utility of movable S-foils
    [​IMG]

2. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Preferably new fighters that "echo" the X-Wing and present not just a passage of time, but a reflection of the themes that the new films will focus on.

3. Palpatine77

Palpatine77 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 28, 2010
    Personally, I would like to see the OT-era X-Wings return. I realize Ep. 7 takes place 30 years after Jedi and the new Republic may very well have newer, flashier fighters since then, but on the other hand it may have been a difficult, lean 30 years for the Republic as they've struggled to bring former star systems back into the fold, dealt with all kinds of financial issues, probably skirmishes and uprisings around the galaxy, etc., so with a lack of funds to upgrade their military the Republic possibly may have had to rely on their fleet of X-Wings and Y-Wings to this day.

If Lucasfilm went this route it would make sense to still see X-Wings in use, although I suspect they might want to mix things up and have next-gen X-Wings or other fighters in there instead just to show us different starships in the new films.

4. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    ^ This. 30 years have passed so technology must move on, but the new fighters should be based upon the x-wings since they'd probably just improve the abc-wings and not build completely new ones from ground zero.

5. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    As I posted in the other thread (now buried forever under a tsunami of Millennium Falcon discussion), I like this design, but I wonder if the Episode VII and Rebels guys had to sit down and hash out just what these McQuarrie-Wings represent. My understanding was that Rebels was using some of his concept art as early, pre-ANH hardware, while the natural assumption here is that this is a newer ship compared to Luke's X-wing, not older. I think something similar happened with Zeb's design, where the Rebels team was planning his look around an unused McQuarrie concept for Chewbacca, but it turned out the EU had already used that concept as the basis for a specific alien species long ago. Maybe we need a U-canon or something to decide who gets what McQuarrie stuff?

As far as upgrade cycles go... to me, comparisons to real-world B-52s or whatever are not fruitful. I don't think there's technological progress in the Star Wars galaxy. Or if we insist there must be, it's at 1% of our speed. It's not like the X-Wing is to the ARC-170 what an F-22 is to an F-15. It's more like evolution in art or marketing than in present-day military technology. A certain kind of packaging or advertising, or a convention in painting or sculpture, can remain static for years or decades, but then when conditions change or a powerful trend appears, new stuff can arrive very quickly. Star Wars tech isn't like the upgrade tree in a game; starships are based on decisions more akin to art or graphic design decisions today.

So, honestly, I feel like they have license to save or discard what they want. I don't think we need to look at 30 years of real-world evolution in fighter planes and explain geopolitically how Star Wars tech has or hasn't "advanced" by some right or appropriate increment.

6. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    No, technology wouldn't go on, but designs could.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  7. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

In 30 years?
    I know that with interstellar travel achieved, there is not much room for advancement, but look at technology from 5 years ago. There is no reason to believe that there wasn't advancement between the OT and the ST. Ya know, like nobody wanting to buy Luke's old Speeder.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Dak Oolron like this.
  8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'd prefer an all new starfighter taking center stage. That could still allow for a reappearance of the X-Wing in some capacity, but if the ST is to have a trademark fighter I'd like something that's not just a modification of what we've already seen in previous films.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  9. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013
    I think they should have new ships (fighters and capital) by the time of ST, but they shouldn't be completely new and different looking. That was one thing I didn't like about the EU, it seemed like the authors (so, really its on the editors) couldn't get ont he same page when it came to tech. progression, and 30-40 years after RotJ they were still using X-Wings and Mon Cal. cruisers etc....

If the ARC is a F-18, the X-Wing is an F-22, in the St I want to see an F-35

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  10. Sir Chem

Sir Chem Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    This seems like an unpopular opinion, but I need to see the X-wing in combat in these next movies. That particular ship is just as important and iconic to me as the Falcon. Whether it's a new model or not, I don't really care. I prefer the original at this point, though. I'm glad to see it'll be coming back at least some!

11. Sevenxo

Sevenxo Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2014

Maybe not jumps in technology like stealth or something, but they were rebels. For the first time in 30 (or 60) years, they have unrestricted access to technology. There's no limitations of needing to be a mobile/small strike force, which I imagine is limiting, military technology.

Maybe we will see an integration of Rebel and Empire technology? Take the best of a TIE and the best of an X-Wing to make one bad ass ship?

12. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    Hehe, now we are talking. Maybe the classic solar wings of the Tie fighter in an X-shape. Or something. For example a walker that can manouver easily and not be totally awkward and defenseless against sticks and rocks.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Sevenxo like this.
  13. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    Good idea. That could make for a really interesting design, but based on the movies thus far, I don't see this happening. Lucas kept things very black and white: Rebellion vs Empire, Jedi vs Sith, Good vs Evil. Combining a TIE and an X-Wing would be visually going into the "gray area" between the good guys and the bad guys.

This idea was actually explored in the EU, though those ships were cobbled together from existing spacecraft/parts, rather than being designed from the ground up with optimized/synergistic technology.

14. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I love the next-gen X-Wing, and think it's a really good compromise here... but I would be fibbing if I said I didn't want to see Luke hop in an old school X-Wing at some point. I mean, he coulda kept one around. Kinda like how your Grandpa held onto that cherry '74 Oldsmobile Cutlass for the last 40 years.

15. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Regarding the S-foils of a certain X-Wing predecessor...

That image from the ROTS ICS book explains why they're useful. They increase the surface area of the radiators. Deployed S-foils can be justified as an "attack position" because a starfighter pulling high speed, high-G manoeuvres in a space battle will need to lose even more heat than one that's just cruising about. The Eta-2 also has S-foils with a similar function, and the V-Wing's fins have a similar use, though the latter seem to be permanently locked in that position for all flight.

This is rooted in real world spacecraft design. The International Space Station has a thermal control system that includes retractile radiator panels, much like the ARC-170's S-foils. The bay doors of the space shuttle contain radiators.

[​IMG]

So even if their main purpose is to look cool, the S-foils can be justified from an IU perspective.

As for technological development, consider that the small Jedi starfighters of the PT (Delta-7 and Eta-2) need to use an external hyperdrive for interstellar travel. The V-Wing and Vulture-class tend to be depicted as carrier-based, much like the TIE series. The similarly small A-Wing of ROTJ, however, does not need an external hyperdrive or a carrier. It makes the jump to Endor alongside the larger Letter-Wings.

Technology does advance in SW. It's just mostly incremental. Hyperdrives obviously exist before the A-Wing, but the tiny A-Wing having a hyperdrive is a small but significant leap forward for systems integration.

16. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    The A-wing has a hyperdrive, but the equally advanced tie-interceptor does not.

I don't think it was a matter of tech advancement, but a choice by the designers for production purposes. Why does the Empire need hyperdrives on it's fighters when they have so many capital ships to launch them from? The Alliance didn't have such a luxury, so all of their fighters needed to be able to jump into hyperspace on their own....especially when they are using hit and run tactics like most every rebel force in history.

17. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    The TIEs are always depicted as carrier-based, much like the lighter Republic and CIS fighters.

The Jedi starfighters, however, have every reason to have built-in hyperdrives; they still don't have them. The A-Wing is an incremental improvement over them.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  18. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    The jedi fighters are the forerunners of tie fighters. Made by the same company.

19. Sevenxo

Sevenxo Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2014

Careful.. I don't think these movies are going to be about Luke.

20. Chewbaccon

Chewbaccon Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 9, 2014
    All well thought out points. As I wrote in another thread, I think SW has the flexibility to not have upgrades in tech simply because the logistics of doing so, covering an entire galaxy and coordinating technological norms would be extremely difficult. However, with ships, I suppose if they use the same basic "systems" it would not be the case. But yeah, SW ships are as much art and they are function. There is a spirit to the SW galaxy in everything and part of that is the designs. That said, avg movie goers may not think it through the way we have and expect advancements, which is fair. And let's face it, selling more toys is part of the equation : )

21. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    An old, galaxy-spanning civilization like that in the GFFA eventually reaches a point where technology can't advance and becomes static. Sure, the technology might become more refined and designs might change, but other than that... I'm sure we'll see something though.

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    At the time, that was probably the idea. In the EU however, smaller craft with built-in hyperdrives existed long before the PT.

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Back in '09 during my final deployment to Iraq, I flew missions in C-130's built in '63. That's 46 years of combat capability not just for the basic design but for individual airframes. So I hope Luke is still flying his original Red 5 X-wing.

24. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I voted that I would like to see some old ones, and some new versions. Having shiney new X-wings would be awesome, but to have some appearance of the old would be cool too. I realize that in 30 years technology will have moved on, but sometimes the need to repurpose or continuing to reuse older things happens, especially when you may be a new government trying to establish yourself, some of the money may need to go other things and you may not be able to supply everyone with new equipment.

I also would like to see something akin to the Stealth-X and Jedi pilots. (Yes I know the EU is non-canon, please don't start that argument again.)

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Dak Oolron like this.
  25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The pic looks a little foreshortened - this pic:
    gives a slightly better idea of its proportions.

Baron_Papanerd and Sarge like this.