main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Incom T-70: X-Wings in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Dak Oolron, Jun 4, 2014.

?

How visible should the X-Wing be in the ST? (Multiple votes are allowed.)

1. I want the X-Wing to appear in the ST just as it was in the OT

61 vote(s)
    24.3%
  2. I want to see a spiritual successor to the OT X-Wing

190 vote(s)
    75.7%
  3. I want to see completely new starfighter(s)

81 vote(s)
    32.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mars457

Mars457 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 3, 2013
    They actually get decommissioned cast offs that are "misplaced". I really want to see the top of the line T-85s.

Actually I really want to see an E-Wing. Talk about a F-22.

2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I would've atleast liked to have seen new Tie Bombers.

Dak Oolron and Riv_Shiel like this.
  3. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    Actually these models have been used since ROtS. It's just been an evolving design since then.

4. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    The use of X wings and TIEs in TFA is perfectly logical for me. Both craft are effective platforms, so have rightly been iterated upon. It reflects real life in that airframes last decades at least. Once you have an optimised platform, it can only be improved upon in steps. Revolutionary designs would be the result of new technologies (I.e. - jet engine).

Also, if you want to be super realistic, the Galaxy will be broke by the start of TFA. The Empire put huge expense and resources in to 2 Death Stars, both of which were destroyed. Not to mention the 20-odd years of regressive Empire, the destruction of a huge amount of the imperial fleet and the vaporisation of a rich, core planet (Alderaan). In reality, the Galaxy should be in a major recession, so iterations of proven fighters is a perfectly logical way to go.

Dak Oolron and Sarge like this.
  5. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    According to Rebels the standard TIE fighter was already in use prior to ANH and according to TFA it still is.

I just don't understand why TFA didn't use the basic TIE Interceptor design, introduced as the latest TIE variant in ROJ to convey the feel of a credible evolution.

I'll repeat what I said in the other message board if you don't mind. Between the ARC 170, the T-65 and the T-70 there is an evolution in regard to the S-foils (separation foils, space foils, solar foils or a combination of these three).

Assuming their main purpose is to radiate waste heat from the fusion reactor/s, the heat radiating surface to do so shrinks with each generation, suggesting a credible technological progress, IMHO.

Dak Oolron and Riv_Shiel like this.
  6. Jabberwock2137

Jabberwock2137 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    Just a thought but .....could it be that Disney 's done a job on our beloved Yavin interceptor because the nose looks a tad phallic and the sleeker new design just smoothes out the tip....Disneyfied!!!
    Anyway back in the real world .... I can understand the paring down of the new X-wing...!970-80's compat aircraft were huge behemoths which then developed into the lighter dogfighters like the F-16..... less of a Star-destroyed-buster, more of a air to air fighter...
    Have to say though that the weight and balance of the original knocks the socks off the new runabout!!
    I'd have gone for something moe akin to these....[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Jabberwock2137

Jabberwock2137 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    erm....these...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    sorry!
    Call me finickety but I was rather disappointed with the unblievable flight paths of the new jobs (like recent models of the colonial vipers) 90 degree turns may be possible with anti grav etc but what was needed was fast, seat of the pants, realistic curves ansd swoops.

8. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Loved the new T-70's. I thought they were an ideal updating of the classic design. New, but familiar. I would like to have seen another fighter type as well. The TIEs were cool (who doesn't like TIEs? ) but I found myself wishing they were interceptors. Not a big deal. I expect we will see some evolution in 8 and 9.

TooMuchBBQ likes this.
  9. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Star Wars without X-wings is like Star Wars without lightsabres and stormtroopers. That's why I have no complaints about the T-70s, always loved them.

Funny how there's never any complaints about how the GFFA use weapons that are asthetically and functionally the same over the course of thousands of years.

10. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    I'm so glad someone else is bothered by this! Yeah, the two wing halves at least should have mimicked one another in surface area; the mounting point for the cannons seem to make for a ridiculously unstable situation.

However, I'm so glad they moved the rear landing gear outboard of the engine nacelle.

Dak Oolron and Sarge like this.
  11. Justus_Cade

Justus_Cade Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 31, 2002
    The new X-Wings remind me of the old concept art for X-Wings, I like them form the most part.

Hope to see some B-Wings and A-Wings, I would assume that Y-Wings during this era are relics. Although any ship we loved during the OT would be old tech in TFA.

12. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
  13. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    Does "Before the Awakening" mention what the T-85 looks like? Wouldn't it be awesome if the T-85 IS the E-Wing? Doubtful, but it might be a nice nod to Legends EU. (Which is why it is doubtful.)

14. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    man, they dropped some of the best shots of the x wings in the actual movie, hopefully we might see them on the bluray.

HellasLEAF-Jedi and Dak Oolron like this.
  15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    The reason they may have just a single aircraft type might be down to exclusive contracts and availability. This is a resistance after all, not the republic proper. Same with the FO.

Some of those manufacturers of variants might have went away with the demilitarization and disarmament provisions of the peace treaty.

TooMuchBBQ and Dak Oolron like this.
  16. CUAviator

CUAviator Jedi Knight

Dec 23, 2015
    So you're talking about the FA-18C (introduced around the time of ESB and still in use today) and its follow-on, the FA-18E which will be in use until a minimum of 2030. To the lay person, they are visually identical. To the trained eye, they visually difficult to tell apart at times (in the groove at the ship, ACM, yada, yada).
    Ergo, it's not that far fetched for follow-on X-wing variants. If it ain't broke.
    Furthermore, and I think this is the real crux of the argument - the universe, from the end of Jedi, was in sort of a state of Pax Galaxy with the fall of the empire. Look at ANY interwar period in history (specifically the U.S.) - R&D and procurement of military equipment goes WAY down, military service and force size recedes - there's just no appetite for it. Civilizations prefer to focus welfare and economic reform.
    ERGO - the new X-wing is a perfectly reasonable, if not ingenious, plot point.

*btw, I'm agreeing with you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sarge, TooMuchBBQ and Dak Oolron like this.
  17. CUAviator

CUAviator Jedi Knight

Dec 23, 2015
    And side note, the First Order, from a political standpoint, would thus leap ahead in military R&D. See pre WWI/WWII Germany.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sarge and Dak Oolron like this.
  18. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Seems like they spent most of their funding on new capital ships and carving up a planet.

Dak Oolron and Strongbow like this.
  19. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    I really dug the split-wing design of the new X-Wings. I'll always love the originals, but the new ones are very cool, too.

Now we just need someone to make a modern-day "X-Wing" video game and we'll be set!

20. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I would love that. One with an actual story-driven campiagn and not just a weak arena shooter.

Dak Oolron and Xinau like this.
  21. CmdrWedge

CmdrWedge Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    Who has rights to the Rogue Squadron games? I'd love another one of those.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  22. TooMuchBBQ

TooMuchBBQ Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2014
    The A-26 Invader (29 year Service Life) and C-47 Gooney Bird (67 years) were used by the US in WWII, Korea and Vietnam.
    The A-1 Skyraider (27 yrs) came into service shortly after WWII (1946) and served in Korea and Vietnam.
    The F-4 Phantom (36 yrs), A-7 Corsair (26 yrs), A-6 Intruder(34 yrs), A-4 Skyhawk (47 yrs), AC-130 Spectre all entered service before (or during) the Vietnam War and served in the Gulf War as well (a variation of the A-6, The EA-6B Prowler was just retired last July after 45 years of front line service), The AC-130 is still in service.
    The B-52 has been in front line service since 1955 (60 years)
    The F-15 Eagle has been in service since 1976 (39 years)
    The F-16 Falcon since 1978 (37 years)
    The best example in this case is the F-18 Hornet, the all-purpose fighter/attack jet for the Navy and their front line fighter in the Gulf War, which has been in service since 1983 (32 years) and is being replaced by an upgraded and modernized, yet extremely similar planform, version of the same jet, the F-18E Super Hornet.

There's a pretty big precedent, once we entered the jet age, for aircraft to stay in service for a long time. It's not at all a stretch that the X-wing design would still be viable, especially in an upgraded design, 35 years or so after the Battle of Yavin.

Sarge, Darth Hood and Dak Oolron like this.
  23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thread merge

Dak Oolron likes this.
  24. Darth Hood

Darth Hood Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2015

thats a bingo

TooMuchBBQ likes this.
  25. Sarlaac_fanboy

Sarlaac_fanboy Jedi Padawan star 1