main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spok, WA InCon will be happenning Oct. 22nd - 24th. Should we see about doing something?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Raph1613, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raph1613

Raph1613 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2004
    Hi guys!

Okay, our very own local sci-fi/fantasy convention will be happenning out in the Valley next month. I, for one, will definitely be in attendance! Probably wearing armor (fantasy style with chainmail, sword, etc) most of the time, but I might soften it up a bit and strap on one of my lightsabers from time to time.

Anyway, I was wonderring if we should plan on doing anything specifically regarding it. It could be a great way of recruiting new people. We would have to contact them (the convention organizers) about getting a table/booth organized, and outfitted if we were to try that. As far as outfitting goes, since we're really new and don't have anything like cool pictures of past activities, we'd probably have to go with something like a stand-up display (possibly with our soon to exist local icon * hint-hint, Nat * and a few other SW related graphics) and (if I can find the time to build it) maybe a plexiglass display case with my lightsabers. And of course at least two of us there at any given time in costume. That should at least turn a few heads for a second or two.

Also, at our first meeting, Kelli (at least I think it was her) had expressed an iterest in doing some kind of volunteer work. InCon is always more than willing to welcome volunteer help. I've been told that it's fun to volunteer for them. If we do it as a group, all the better. They could cut us a deal for memberships to the convention, or even for table/booth space.

Now, granted, InCon isn't as big and grand as conventions in other cities, but at the very least, it's just fun to attend the convention and be out and about and not feel like the freakiest person in the room! :D

Speaking of rooms, I already have one reserved at the hotel where InCon will be taking place. It would make a convenient staging area from which we could launch our campaign of total conquest and the annihi...

< ahem >

Perhaps I'm getting a bit ahead of myself.....

So, what do you guys think?

EDIT: If any of you are interested, we can see about getting together so you can make lightsabers of your own in time for InCon. I recently bought a drill-press which (along with all the other tools that I have) will make the whole process a whole lot easier. Plus I'm building a set of "saber clamps" so that more than one person can easily be working on their sabers at one time.

2. Eledaia

Eledaia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2004
    I think this is a great idea for recruiting! How many people attend this con?

3. Raph1613

Jan 15, 2004
    If I recall correctly (and let's face it, that's hit-or-miss on a good day) the post-con report that I read said that about 2000 people attended last year's InCon.

I recall that I saw a number of people dressed in SW outfits. Most were Jedi. There was one (severely) improvised Stormtrooper who at least deserved applause for his effort.

Um, who was it that suggested we do some kind of volunteer work at our first meeting? And, is anyone interested in doing some kind of volunteer work at InCon? Assuming that we make any kind of group appearence there at all.....

Since we have only a little over a month until it takes place, I think that we should probably get organized kind of quickly if we decide to do anything there. The have a Con-Com meeting on the 12th, and a few more after that. Or we could email them, but I preffer the personal approach.

So, what (if anything) are we doing?

EDIT: Is this something that we should see about getting Marbe over here for?

4. Raph1613

Jan 15, 2004
    Okay, InCon is having some kind of Con-Com meeting (whatever that means) this Sunday evening. Should we see about attending and seeing if we can get any worthwhile information regarding acquiring a booth/table there? For that matter, how about the volunteer idea?

5. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    I wouldn't be able to make it Sunday. I have to other meetings that night that I already have to choose between.

6. Raph1613

Jan 15, 2004
    Okay, I'll see about going there on my own and try to get some worthwhile information. I'll let you guys know what I find out either in this Forum or at the meeting.

I had just wanted to know if I'd be speaking for the group, and whether or not I could in any way commit us to a volunteering assignment.

I just need to know what your exact thoughts are on the whole subject. And by that, I mean the thoughts of everyone in the group.

7. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    I don't know what that weekend is going to look like until I find out if I've got the job I am interviewing for this Monday. So I guess I can't really help you with that information in time :(

8. Eledaia

May 28, 2004
    Well, I think until we have all cleared our schedules and purchased tickets to the Con, we shouldn't commit to volunteering. I think it would be great if you just got information and deadlines for the volunteering and booth. :D

9. Raph1613

Jan 15, 2004
    Info and deadlines.

Can do.

I hope that everyone had a good weekend. Or at least a decent one.

10. Raph1613

Jan 15, 2004
    Okay, not much to report, and not a lot of time to say nothing anyway.

More tomorrow.

11. Raph1613

Jan 15, 2004
    ...or not...

12. Eledaia

May 28, 2004
    Ech, just save it for the meeting...

13. Eledaia

May 28, 2004
    Well, I think I can attend, shouldn't be a problem. Where does one purchase a membership?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.