main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Inconsistencies in SW Lore and Continuity in Each Movie

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by MidKnighT, Jan 26, 2017.

1. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    What are the main violations of SW continuity and lore in each movie? Ie... which movie additions violate what we already knew about the characters or Star Wars universe?

Here are some that come to mind for me. Note that A New Hope can't be on the list since it is the original.

Empire Strikes Back:

Darth Vader is Luke's father? Obi Wan said that Vader betrayed and murdered Luke's father.

How does Luke get a hit on Vader after just a few weeks of training?

Return of the Jedi:

Leia is Luke's sister? Their shared kiss in ESB and previous interviews suggested otherwise.

Ewoks defeating Storm Troopers - Storm Troopers were always a threat before this. How can they ever be seen as a threat again after this?

Phantom Menace:

Anakin built C3-P0? He never indicates that he has ever known C3-P0 in the OT.

Obi Wan doesn't act like he recognizes these droids in ANH.

Attack of the Clones:

R2-D2 can fly? Since when?

Revenge of the Sith:

Padme dies during child birth? I thought Leia could remember her mother, her real mother.

Force Awakens:

I thought Storm Troopers were clones? Finn looks nothing like Jango Fett!

Luke hiding when things go bad is in direct violation of his character in the OT where he would risk it all to help his friends.

A non trained non force user (Flinn) wielding a lightsaber? And landing a hit on a dark sider? C'mon.

A non trained force user defeating a well trained dark sider? C'mon.

Rogue One:

Vader said in ANH that the plans were beamed onto this ship. Not technically true in RO.

Any others that you can think of?

2. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    TPM Obi-Wan says Yoda was his master in TESB. In TPM it's Jinn.

3. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

I dont think a Padwan necessarily "loses" his Master once he becomes a Jedi Knight. So its conceivable, Yoda took over for Qui Gon once he died.

4. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    The Force Awakens

Why isn't the New Republic's Capitol on Coruscant?

Attack of The Clones

The Republic stood for 1000 years? What about the "over a thousand generations" CPOV thing Obi-Wan was babbling about in ANH?

5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Yoda technically teaches all of the Jedi when they're younglings, so he wasn't wrong. It's easier to say "The Jedi who instructed me" or something along those lines than, "I need you to see this Jedi. He used to be in charge of the Jedi Order. Well, him and this other Jedi named Mace Windu were kind of co-in charge. Anyway, if you don't piss him off too much he'll set you up real good with some Force training."

A new planet takes over as capitol every few years; this prohibits any one planet from being too important relative to the others.

From what I understand, that iteration of the Republic has been around for approximately 1000 years, but the Jedi have served various forms of it for far longer than that. RotS makes it sound like the Sith were in control for some period of time before the Jedi presumably defeated them at the Republic as we know it in the PT was formed.

6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Are these really violations of lore and continuity? Or just violations of assumptions that many viewers made?

7. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

Thats a good question, I think the better term is "inconsistencies". In the end, its all "from a certain point of view."

Edit: If MidKnighT does not object to the change, I think "Inconsistence" probably should replace "Violations" in the title.

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    "Only imperial stormtroopers are so precise."

Touché.

Sarge and Darth Basin like this.
  9. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    I don't care. Not sure how to change the title.

Ya they went from this to getting beat by teddy bears with rocks.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    We have to change titles.

Anyway, the only point on your OP that I disagree with is about the storm troopers being clones. I think that got changed to the Empire using a volunteer army, but I'm not sure exactly when.

Darth Basin and Bazinga'd like this.
  11. wizards8507

wizards8507 Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2016
    Does Darth Vader ever confront C-3PO in the OT where it would have come up?

"What I told you was true... from a certain point of view." We know from the OT that Obi-Wan was deliberately deceiving Luke so this doesn't go against his character.

Clone troopers age at twice the speed of normal humans. By the time of The Force Awakens, the clone troopers would have all been old men or dead. Without access to Kamino, the First Order would have had no way of "growing" new clones.

Kylo Ren was severely wounded. Abrams went out of his way on several occasions to show how powerful Chewie's bowcaster is. That blaster to the ribs is what allowed Finn to land a hit and Rey to fight Kylo to a draw. Also, we don't know whether Rey is actually untrained. She knew to use the mind trick on the stormtroopers, for example, so it's possible she's had training.

Sure it is. Vader is NOT on the Tantive IV at the end of Rogue One. The way it's shot doesn't make this totally clear.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Or forced conscription and training from a young age. Kylo even said about using a clone army.

13. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, they were "imprecise" way before that.

15. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    ROTS
    -Padme losing the will to live, I think is inconsistent with her character and dialogue.

AOTC inconsistent with ANH
    -Obi-wan saying Owen didn't "hold with your father's ideas and that he shouldn't have gotten involved" conversation and "your father wanted you to have this when you were older"
    (This could be written off as another Obi-wan lie or considered an inconsistency I think.) Owen and Anakin barely knew each other and met only once in the AotC.

TPM inconsistent with ROTJ
    - "When I first met him, your father was already a great pilot. But I was amazed how strongly the Force was with him. I took it upon myself to train.." from ROTJ
    In TPM he didn't seem very amazed and it was Qui-gon who wanted to train him and he only did it at his master's dying request.

16. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    I Think Obi-Wan was more "amazed" by his MC count.

17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    They even adress this in the film: "Perhaps leader Snoke should consider using a clone army". It's certainly not an inconsistency.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  18. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    is this a joke topic?

19. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Hope not.

20. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Both Yoda's and Obi Wan's explanations of the Force and what it means to be a Jedi.
    "The Force is what gives a Jedi his power."
    "This weapon is your life. Try not to lose it."

"A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack."

imgres.jpg

"Anger leads to hate."
    "Pity your new disciple I do. So lately an apprentice, so soon without a master."

"When I first knew him, your father was already a great pilot."
    "I'll try spinning, that's a good trick."

21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Where's the inconsistency?

That was never stated. Nor does it contradict "anger leads to hate".

Again, not inconsistent. He was already a great pilot, as seen in the podrace.

22. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

Care to elaborate?

23. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Alexrd wrote

No, they were "imprecise" way before that.

Care to elaborate, especially since you seem to suggest that Obi-Wan was lying to Luke and the audience? ;)

(Don't tell me you still believe in the # 1 myth of the imprecise stormtrooper, you're being sarcastic, right?)

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Obi-Wan wasn't lying as much as he was introducing imperial soldiers to Luke as dangerous and efficient threats. Still, I accept their "imprecision" in many moments as a requirement of the story. They failed to shoot Luke, Leia, Han and Chewie many times in ANH and TESB at point-blank range.

25. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Alexrd wrote

They failed to shoot Luke, Leia, Han and Chewie many times in ANH and TESB at point-blank range.

VADER They must be trying to return the
    stolen plans to the princess. She
    may yet be of some use to us.

(????)

VADER I sense something... a presence I
    haven't felt since...

Vader turns quickly and exits the hangar.

(WTF? Why doesn't he stay and watches how they tear the ship apart to see what it is he senses?)

Its because

LEIA That doesn't sound too hard. Besides,
    they let us go. It's the only
    explanation for the ease of our
    escape.

The stormtrropers were ordered to miss, so that Leia and company could escape and lead the Death Star to the Rebels hidden base. That was obviously Vader's plan and why the stormtroopers only appeared to be "imprecise".

And what about TESB? Suddenly and unexpectedly Lando freed the Imperial prisoners and ran way with these. Lord Vader was incommunicado because he was elsewhere busy in Cloud City and couldn't be reached for precise orders. Since he seemed to want keeping the prisoners alive, these poor stormtroopers acted the best they could, i.e. trying to wound the fugitives but making certain these wouldn't be killed (they managed that in ROJ). Unfortunately the fugitives had no intent to return the favors, i.e. they shot to kill the stormtroopers, so the stormtroopers were clearly at a disadvantage.

None of that is ANY proof that stormtroopers are imprecise when aiming and firing, it remains (obviously) the # 1 Myth of Star Wars.