main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Inconsistent criticism of the prequels

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Dark Ferus, Jan 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    As we pretty much all know, the prequels are widely criticized for their use of childish humor and lack of maturity. We also hear them criticized for bring hard to understand for children, and too dark.
    Can anyone explain why critics seem to contradict themselves when reviewing the prequel trilogy?

2. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Probably because each one has different views of what they dislike.

HevyDevy and Darthman92 like this.
  3. bhagavandas

bhagavandas Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 21, 2016
    I see TPM and AotC in these days after some time and enjoyed a lot. Much more AotC, so amazing! Incredibly I enjoyed every scene in the movie. TPM still fantastic too, and RotS, I still think is the best one of the prequels trilogy, followed closely by AotC.

Enviado de meu XT1563 usando Tapatalk

4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I don't think I've come across a lot of criticism of the darkness in the films. It's been more along the lines of the humor being too childish and the political plot being too complicated/dull.
    No contradiction there!

...although I do remember some boarders complaining about the tusken/youngling slaughter because it went too far.
    It seems like some fans simply would've preferred something in between: Not too childish, not too grim, not too political.

...except this trilogy had to be very political. I was surprised that it wasn't more so, actually.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and HevyDevy like this.
  5. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    The big inconsistency I see is the claims of how simplistic it is, followed by the critic proving they couldn't understand the actual plot taking place. Usually with some comment about having to learn too much about taxation of trade routes. Newsflash. That wasn't the story.

It is too one dimensional / simple, followed by talk of politics getting in the way. So it was too simplistic because it didn't have enough pew pew and vroom vroom (saber sounds) for you?

TPM was an adult movie hidden in a kid's movie veneer. If you got caught up in the veneer, then that's on you, not Lucas.

6. Prospecting on Subtyrrell

Prospecting on Subtyrrell Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 18, 2014
    Because they can't put their fingers on why they didn't like them, so you end up with a bunch of vicarious and contradictory explanations. One complaint you rarely hear is that the films were dull, so seemingly most people were entertained, even the haters.

I think it is about failed expectations. Things don't happen exactly like they envisioned, and that is a jarring experience. Same happened to me with ROTS. Been reading spoilers for a year and had many clear ideas of how it should go, which of course it didn't. My worst SW viewing experience to date, despite ROTS being a great film. I just couldn't let go of my preconceived notions, at first.

That is why I think the hate will eventually die out. Not many truly hate them, they were just disappointed it was different. At some point acceptance has to creep in.

7. boonjj

boonjj Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2016
    Because the movies do have both elements - primarily TPM, less so with AOTC, and not really with ROTS - so its fair criticism imo. This criticism generally preceeds the larger criticism that the films have an inconsistent tone since they try to cater to both kids and adults. Again, fair.

What is annoying though is when someone tries to disparage the films by saying "theyre made for kids!", then when you bring up all the dark and adult content they change their tune and try to rephrase their argument into something that makes sense

8. DAH

DAH Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2017
    it's the terrible acting by Hayden and Natalie is the worst part of the prequels for me.....everything else is acceptable......I enjoyed the prequel's far more after The Clone War's Series for some reason.....dont know why.....but they made the prequel trilogy better in my eye's....maybe because it added abit more substance and depth to the characters and the saga as a whole.....

Edit : Example of bashing.

9. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    It's not as emotional as the OT. The OT had mature stuff like Ewoks, space slugs and Death Testicles. Real manly stuff. Han Solo and Boba Fett were some of the most complex and developed characters seen in a movie.

The prequels had dumb politics and Hayden is too whiny unlike Luke who never whined. SW was ruined and TCW is the only good thing that came out of the PT. Anakin is super complex because he's cool and has an angry outburst once every 10 episodes to show you he's Darth Vader.

10. bhagavandas

bhagavandas Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 21, 2016
    I was wandering how was the speculations about RotS on those days. Can you share with us?

Enviado de meu XT1563 usando Tapatalk

Deliveranze likes this.
  11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    SW Saga Fan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.