Saga Inconsistent Morality In Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Narutakikun, Jul 25, 2013.

Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. VanishingReality Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Sometimes it feels like force sensitives have to be placed on a different standard than regular people, because even one morally ambiguous act has the potential to turn them into complete psychopaths. I just read Dark Force Rising where Han asked Luke to confuse a group of TIE pilots using the force so they could escape. Luke refused to use the force in that direct and aggressive a manner. I don't think that Han was evil for suggesting it, but it's clear that Han can get away with a lot more practical solutions than Luke can.
  2. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Chosen One

star 6
    Does the defeated man's humanity count for nothing (and what purpose would it have served to kill Vader when he was clearly nonfunctional at that point)? I don't think that's something someone can 'give away' (or for that matter 'take') in that manner. Of course this is a "needs of the one, needs of the many" problem. Maybe there is no general rule that is applicable to all situations here.
  3. DRush76 Force Ghost

star 4

Why?
  4. Narutakikun Force Ghost

star 4
    If they really are that unstable then the galaxy should thank Palpatine, because they're all better off without the Jedi. People of extreme power who can't ever do the slightest morally grey thing (which, sorry, life sometimes does require) without turning into murderous psychopaths are, despite the benefits they may sometimes bring to society, too dangerous to normal people to be allowed to live.

Again, I've been talking about Palpatine here, not Vader.

Yup. Despite some not-very-convincing attempts by the likes of Sam Harris to claim otherwise, morality isn't an objective science. You can't simply apply some plug-and-chuck equations to it and come up with consistent right answers. For one thing, there are just too many (subjective) variables - too many times when this might outweigh that, or maybe only do so when it involves X number of people, who may or may not have done something to bring their situation on themselves. And even that implies a reliable and accurate flow of the information you need to make your decision - a luxury you often don't have.

To bring it back to Star Wars, this is why I say that the right thing for Qui-Gon to have done on Tattooine was to simply break in to Watto's junkyard and steal the parts. The information he was getting was not particularly reliable, but there was at least some reason to believe that a large number of innocent Naboo were being slaughtered or were otherwise in extreme, immediate suffering. There was also good reason to believe that completing his mission ASAP had a good chance of bringing an end to that. This concern outweighs the need of a single sleazy Toydarian junk dealer to make some money, especially considering that the Toydarian could always be compensated later, after the mission was completed and there was time to go back and tie up loose ends.

Is that all morally grey? Sure, but again, that's life in the real world, and you don't - you can't - give critical jobs to people who have no ability to deal with that.
  5. DRush76 Force Ghost

star 4

Why? Qui-Gon and Padme got the parts they needed. They managed to reach Coruscant. And eventually, Naboo was saved.
Moderators: Darth_Nub