main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Incubus: Innovative rock or cheesy pop?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by DUSHONI, Jun 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DUSHONI

DUSHONI Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2001
    I vote for the former. I truly enjoy their music and think that they're ahead of their time, but some folks teel me that they sound a bit too formula and too pop-ish...

How do you guys feel?

2. big_boss_nass

big_boss_nass Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Nov 12, 2001
    I like incubus, I have one of their CD's. I believe they are ahead of the curb, they play good music they have good vocals and insturments. I like their groupes attitude they are confident and they don't have the "I'm better than you" attitude. Plus I like the title of their one CD The Fungus Among Us. You gotta love it.

3. Radiohead

Radiohead Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    Innovative rock or cheesy pop?

I'd probably say that they're somwhere in between. Their sound, though very acceptable in the mainstream, isn't really "pop". On the other hand, they haven't produced anything that I would consider "innovative" or "influential," either. In terms of taking risks in composing songs, for example, I wouldn't put them in the same category as current bands like Radiohead or Weezer.

With that said, I think that Incubus has lots of potential. It'll be interesting to watch them evolve musically.

4. AmadeusExMachina

AmadeusExMachina Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    I can't really call them "innovative rock," considering where they started. Go listen to their early stuff, it's amazing they're the same band.

Still, I give them credit for making themselves radio-friendly.

5. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

I kind of like their videos, curiously enough.

I agree they are a blend of innovation and cheese and look forward to their development in the future.

6. Piltdown

Piltdown Jedi Master star 5

May 3, 2002
    I hate all music videos, but Incubus is alright. I only like one or two songs however, and not overly much.

Worship the dark

7. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    I agree, they're somewhere in between. Lightyears ahead musically of some of the other mainstream bands, though. I respect them.

8. DarthNut

DarthNut Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 1, 1999
    I like Incubus, and they are one of my favorite bands. I also think they are somehwere in between the two.

DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.

9. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    They're a great band (I love what I've heard of Morning View so far), but I wouldn't say they're that innovative, so add me to the category that thinks they're somewhere in-between.

Thankfully, music doesn't have to be revolutionary to be good. :)

10. FiveHorizons

FiveHorizons Jedi Master star 3

Mar 19, 2002
    I'd have to agree that they're somewhere in the middle. Some songs on the new album don't sound very Incubus-ish (?); it doesn't necessarily mean they've gone somewhat pop or manufactured, but it's still noticeable. But then there are those that are very reminiscient of their older stuff, which is pretty good in and of itself.

Nonetheless, I'm still not sold on the idea of having a "one and a two" in a "rock" band.

11. DUSHONI

DUSHONI Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2001
    I think "Wish You Were Here" is a beautiful song..I love how much they've grown and matured and I think it shows on "Morningview"..but I do hate the fact that Brandon is better looking than me 8-}

12. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    There's a huge difference between Fungus Amungus and Morning View. I'm not a fan but I'm not going to judge them until I've properly heard their music.

13. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    S.C.I.E.N.C.E, their debut LP (they had two prior, Fungus Amongus and Enjou Incubus, both just funk-ridden wonder EPs), is also their best. It's quite a lot better than anything their peers put out in the mainstream rock world, putting them almost into the "alternative" world.

Make Yourself is a poppy album of sorts, shorter songs that are by far easier to listen to than some of the stuff off of S.C.I.E.N.C.E, simply because the latter is layered and it's hard to soak up everything. Still a solid CD, if not a breakthrough.

Morning View, their latest LP, has some of the trademark sounds and layering that made S.C.I.E.N.C.E so good, but yes, poppy sounds still remain, though are less prevalent.

Hopefully, one day, they will return to whatever inspired S.C.I.E.N.C.E.

14. XR73627794

XR73627794 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2002
    I see Incubus as another band that suffers from the same syndrome as the Goo-Goo Dolls and Suger Ray.
    Its the "hey we used to kinda rock but it got us nowhere, so instead we will write poppy songs and sell millions of records" syndrome. ;)

I thought S.C.I.E.N.C.E. was a pretty good album for its time, but nothing really innovative or special, and the same goes for all of their other stuff. Though I would rather listen to science than any of their other albums or eps.

15. MushroomHead

MushroomHead Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    Yes I used to really like incubus and have all but fungus.. S.C.I.E.N.C.E was really good, but after the release of their new album I started to listen to all the older albums again cos to be nice the new one isn't my favourite, I now find it a lot harder to listen to them the lyrics are along the cheesy/corny lines and whatever made them "special" doesn't seem to be there and, his voice is also starting to grate.
    They are in no means light years ahead IMO, and yes it does seem to feel rather formulaic.

16. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Old Incubus (Pre-Morning View) was innovative rock. Now, I wouldn't go so far as to say they're pop as maybe a softer rock.

17. XR73627794

XR73627794 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2002
    Popular music = pop.
    Incubus = popular music.
    Incubus = pop.

I would call them pop for that reason ;)

18. Darth Dradus

Darth Dradus Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 9, 2000
    I would have to agree with the posters who said the commnet about them and the Goo-Goo Dolls.

19. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    I used to really like Incubus, but they seem so blah now. I think they are somewhere in between. Better than most stuff on the radio, but hardly innovative.

20. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    I don't think they are that innovative, but they are not pop either. I think they are just a very talented rock band that is similar to most stuff, but do it better than most.

21. Dagger

Dagger Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 1999
    I really liked the older Incubus stuff (Stellar, Pardon Me, etc.), but the newer stuff just doesn't cut it. "Wish You Were Here" was good, but I really don't like "Nice to Know You" or "Warning" at all. So I guess it depends which album you're talking about.

22. DarthNut

DarthNut Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 1, 1999
    Aqueous Transmission is such a strange song.
    What do you think of it?

DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.

23. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    When I heard Stellar I ran out and bought Make Yourself and I liked that cd. I was really looking forward to Morning View, but when I heard the singles, I decided not to buy it.

I have respect for any song that sounds unique. These days we have so many songs that aren't really good or bad, they just sound alike. Stellar is a very unique song and it's one of my favorites, but I wouldn't put Incubus among my favorite bands.

24. slimy_mudhole

slimy_mudhole Jedi Youngling

Oct 23, 2001
    While they're not my favorite band ever, I really do like them .. say what you will about Morning View, but it is indeed a much more MATURE record, performed by maturing musicians. How many crazy slap-bass extravaganzas do you need before it gets kinda tired? I read an interview with Dirk Lance and he was saying the songwriting and song-structure became more and more important than a slap progression.

I honestly don't think they're "writing radio-friendly hits to increase their popularity and make more cash" .. they're growing, they're making the music they want to make, AND, they're distancing themselves from the saturated and STUPID stagnant world of "rap-metal" ... as songwriters and musicians, Incubus are light years beyond the mediocre hard rock trash that clogs the radio waves. Staind? Default? Nickelback? Puddle of Mudd? Boring Third Generation Grunge. Incubus are exciting and creative. Give me that anyday.

25. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    My biggest problem with Incubus is the fact that their music isn't good live. I've seen them in concert enough times to tell you that the layered sounds and effects on the Studio CDs (save Fungus Among Us and S.C.I.E.N.C.E.) aren't present. Although, they do have a good stage presence.

Now, to say Mike Enziger (sp?) is an innovative guitarist is like saying that Fred Durst is a good rapper. He's got talent, but like bands (such as Korn), he relies on effects to bring out his sound, not so much technique or musical knowledge. Most of the time he does a fairly good job and the sound is nice. And he does know his theory. But, they just took old sounds and influences and made an original sound.

They're by no means more innovative than any other band that's currently selling music.

We need another EVH ;)

~?~ Carosel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.