main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

W.VA Independence Day

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by -Fettish-, Jul 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Fettish-

-Fettish- Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2003
    On July 4th, I began to write an entry for my diary telling about how depressed, lonely, and miserable I was on this Independence Day. I mentioned that I had no friends available to celebrate, and that the neighbors had a BBQ and didn't invite me. I complained that dinner with my family was boring and that the little fireworks display my husband put off the night before was dull and trivial. But as I read what I had written, I suddenly felt ashamed.

I live in the United States, a free nation. I have equal rights with every other citizen. I have equal rights with men. I have the same opportunities as everyone else. I am entitled to my own opinion without fear of being executed. I can come and go as I please without having to worry if I will even make it home. There is no war on my home soil. There are no soldiers in my backyard. I can sleep safe in bed knowing that bombs are not going to fall on my house. I am guaranteed immediate protection from harm by the police and military. I have food on the table and a roof over my head, and can get medicine when I'm sick. I am not going to be imprisoned if I do not agree with the government. I do not have people dieing on my doorstep nor tanks roaming the streets nor fighter jets flying over my head. I have electricity, running water, and a vehicle of my own. My husband has a job, and we have money to survive. We are not starving, sick, injured, tormented, or without a home.

I am lucky. Because I see in the news every single day thousands of other people elsewhere in the world who would give anything to live as I do. To have a safe home and community. To live without military dictatorship, war, and constant death on their own lands. No, the United States is not perfect. This country is not without fault. But when I stop to think about it and appreciate what I have, I must conclude that I am indeed fortunate to live where I do. So who am I to complain because I am lonely or bored today? And when fireworks go off, for any occasion, I will thank God in heaven that its just an entertaining show......and not actual bombs, rockets, and death raining down from the sky.

So Happy 228th Birthday USA! God Bless America and all those who fight for freedom in her name!

-Fettish :)

2. F16WarBird

F16WarBird Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    Greetings from Philadelphia.

I just wanted to say "OUTSTANDING post!!!"

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.