main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Index Index of the Old Republic- KOTOR index and discussion- Winter update! New stories, new discussion.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by KOTOR_Index, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WyoJedi

WyoJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 2005
    You know, it's pretty amazing... I haven't played my KotOR game in about 4-5 months because I've been so involved in writing fics about KotOR. Does anyone else suffer from this? Getting so into the game and loving it so much, then having your play drop off as you start writing your own stuf regarding it?

Gosh I hope I'm not the only one.

Cheers,
    Wyo

2. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Hey guys...a little help with some fanfiction?

I'm doing some research for a KotOR story that I left unfinished several months ago. It's meant to act as a third installment in the trilogy--only, it's been ages since I've played TSL and I've no desire to play it again before I continue my research. I'm kind of eager to get the story started.

What I'm here to ask of you is this--does anyone know where I can find a fairly detailed summary of the plot of TSL? It would be easier to have it in front of me, in black and white, than to play through the game and then try to remember whether or not I've gotten something right. I'd need a female, lightside Exile, in a galaxy with a female, lightside Revan. If you can help with this, I'd be very grateful!

Em

3. the_wandering_shadow

the_wandering_shadow Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005

Don't know if this is what you're looking for, but there's lots of information, so I hope this link will help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_II

4. BrentusofGath

BrentusofGath Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2005
    Just a random question about KOTOR II, if that's okay?

Was anyone else disappointed with II? Living in a foreign country where video games are not a high priority, I had to wait a year and a half to get my hands on it, and I quickly played through it once, but then the second time took me a long time to finish and now I really don't have a whole lot of interest in it. Now, I'm an unusual one in that I usually like sequels better than the original game, but in this case, One is soooo far better than two, IMHO. I played through One close to 100 times, no exaggeration, and I'm just not interested in II that much. Did I anticipate it too much for too long, or was it sort of a let down for you guys too?

5. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    That helps a little, thank you!

6. bi0nic

bi0nic Jedi Master star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    In a word, yes.

It's very difficult to follow a really successful game like KOTOR, especially when you consider it was a different development house that made the sequel. But it can be done, Metroid Prime for example was an excellent continuation of that franchise by a different developer that started it.

KOTOR II could have been a lot worse than it was - it could have been radically altered and turned out nothing like the original and that probably would have been a disaster. Instead, it was kept very close to the first game, to the point where they're almost indistinguishable when looking at the two game's graphics and gameplay side-by-side.

I think the second game just lacked the incredible, near-movie quality plot of the first and also the wow factor of seeing the complete Star Wars experience (not just one segment of it like X-wing dogfighting or pod-racing or whatever) rendered so well in a video game for the first time.

7. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    I certainly was disappointed with TSL...tis why I don't really want to play it again to research my story.

The entire cast in KotOR was awesome (*proud Carth and Mission fan, thank you very much*) and the plot was excellent. The Big Surprise caught me totally off-guard...had the same effect as "I am your father..." and I was also a big fan of the side quests that came with each party member.

TSL, on the other hand...well...was anybody else unimpressed with Kreia? After the epic Revan vs. Malak battle in KotOR, I just couldn't find any respect for her as a villain. She was so grey-area throughout the entire game that she just annoyed me. It might have been better if they'd covered her up a little better, so the player didn't expect her to be the bad guy at the end...but other than that, meh. I didn't like her. And Nilhilus (sp?) had almost. no. backstory. That was irritating.

I liked Atton. He reminded me of Han...and I think he was supposed to. Mira was cool too. Bao-Dur was okay, and I liked his sense of humor at times, but still...meh. It was cool having Canderous back, but I wish there'd been more about his past, especially with Revan. Getting him to tell what little he was programmed to tell was my favorite part of working with the party members. All the others were just sort of there, not really that memorable. (Well, there was HK, but I avoid using him like the plague--don't like him personally. The meatbag thing is funny, but the rest of him isn't.)

What I did like about TSL was the little tweaks they made to the game--simple things, like being able to tell which canisters and bodies were empty, and being able to train your sentient party members into Jedi.

Anyway, the above is my opinion only. :p I'm pretty sure that a lot of people will disagree with me, but that's mostly why I don't like TSL.

8. BrentusofGath

BrentusofGath Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2005
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured. Although, truth be told, I didn't care much for the little changes. For one, I kept unequipping my weapon, sometimes without knowing it until somebody was laying the smack down on me. [face_frustrated]

And Atton. I thought I didn't like Carth in the first one, boy I was wrong. Carth is a Godsend compared to Atton.

I did like Mira, especially when I hit on her and she called me old. [face_laugh] ... [face_plain] Hey, wait a minute! :p And yeah, Kreia could have been a little more hidden about her evilness.

And every time they mention Atrus I think of the guy from the MYST games, lol!

Plus, Peragus makes me appreciate Taris all the more. I was hating to play through the beginning of KOTOR I because of Taris, but Peragus is much worse, IMO.

The bottom line, you're right Bionic, it could have been a lot worse. And for my money, if it had been the first game, it would have been fantastic, but coming after KOTOR I, well, nothing could measure up to the original.

Anybody hoping to see KOTOR III on XBox360? ;) I personally am not going to be buying any of the next gen consoles until KOTOR III comes out on one of them, and whichever one can give me KOTOR love first, that's the one I'm buying.

9. the_wandering_shadow

the_wandering_shadow Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    As a whole I liked TSL a lot, but it wasn't close to beating the original.

I did like Atton, but one thing that made me mad, when I was doing a Dark Side game, he's twisted around my little finger and looking all nasty to prove it. He tells me off for doing Dark Side things. The nerve of him!

They could have been less obvious about Kreia.

Mira rocks though.

10. bi0nic

Feb 15, 2006
    I must be in the minority, cos I actually quite liked Kreia. Yeah, it was kinda obvious she was going to be a baddy all along.

But that was totally made up for by her being a different kind of baddy, she wasn't any where near your garden-variety Sith. She had that whole neo-con people-must-pull-themselves-up-by-their-bootstraps thing going on, which at times could be pretty disconcerting if you were playing as a light-sider. She made pretty persuasive arguments againt the traditional Jedi way of helping people, especially that part early on Nar Shadaa.

I liked that. That's what KOTOR I did so well, present you with real moral dillemas.

BrentusofGath, I reckon it's a dead cert that KOTOR III will be on the 360. The first two were on the Xbox, so it's only logical. I've already got a 360 and I'm loving it (mainly because of Oblivion, which rox my sox)

11. WyoJedi

WyoJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 2005
    I never played Kotor 2... I was so blown away by #1, and everyone I knew said the second one didn't quite live up to the same standards, so I just left it alone. I guess I really have no room to talk one way or the other about it. But I agree with everyone else that Kotor 1 was phenomenal!

Cheers,
    Wyo

12. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    TSL is definitely worth playing...there are some neat things about it. It's definitely not worth the good sixty bucks I shelled out for it when it was released...but if you can find it on sale, do get it and play it. Just don't go into it looking for what was there before...because KotOR I it is not.

13. KOTOR_Index

KOTOR_Index Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2005
    Just to let you all know that this thread is not dead... far from it. However it is under new management!

As of now, WyoJedi has been given the reins of this Index. I will try to keep faith, and be true to the ideals set forth by SabyneAmberle and Commander-DWH... specifically the takeover of the boards by KOTOR fics...[face_devil]

I mean, to provide a place where all KOTOR writers can come and showcasse their works and enjoy some great discussion and companionship in their chosen era.

Any questions, comments, ideas for discussions, money, etc. can be forwarded to WyoJedi. I will be updating some things in the next few days, and getting my feet wet with this whole "in charge" thing. So bear with me and everything will be fine!

Long live KOTOR!

14. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Congratulations WyoJedi on your new position!!![face_dancing]

And thanks to Commander DWH for all your hard work! =D=

15. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    You left out the part where this is your Knighting gift! Wyo's a padawan no longer. :D

Here's to a long life as the KOTOR indexer. "So give three cheers and give a squawk for the hardy captain of the Ebon Hawk!" :p

16. KOTOR_Index

Dec 29, 2005
    Oops... I forgot the biggest part of the deal. My apologies **bows to master Commander-DWH**

The Ebon Hawk is mine... Mwahahahahahaha!

Ahem... yes, thank you all. [face_whistling] Updates to follow in the next few days.

17. bi0nic

Feb 15, 2006
    Congrats on the position and the knighting Wyo!

It'll be good if this thread can become more lively - we KOTOR-ites deserve a healthy environment to frolic around in and discuss all things related to the greatest Star Wars video game franchise evar.

18. Princess Cambria

Princess Cambria Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2006
    The Old Republic/KOTOR is a new area for me. It seems very intersting, but where would one start? Any suggestions?

19. KOTOR_Index

Dec 29, 2005
    Sounds like a great lead in for a discussion.

How can someone who is unfamiliar wih Tales of the Jedi/Old Republic Era/KOTOR get a grip on what's going on? Where does one start?

I guess I'll start out with my position...

Unless you are willing to sit down and spend 20+ hours playing through the KOTOR game to get a feel for the story, a good place to start is the internet. There are some great resources out there full of information on KOTOR and other aspects of the Old Republic times, and many forums with people willing to open up with their knowledge. Wookieepedia is a great site that I myself use when I am in need of info.

Also, a great number of the stories right here on the boards are full of backstories and tidbits of wisdom and knowledge that come from experience playing the game, which you may not get otherwise.

And I'm sure that any member of our amazing KOTOR crew out there would be mor than willing to divulge their expansive knowledge of this great time period for someone who is seeking.

Ok, now that I have started the ball rolling ya'll go right ahead and jump in. Enjoy!

Oh, and by the way... The Index has been updated. Watch for more updating and reorganization in the near future!

20. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    =D= WyoJedi is a knight!!!!! =D=

21. Princess Cambria

Jan 20, 2006
    Thanks for the suggestions. Well no games for me, so I think I'll grab some coffee and start with the index. I'm sure I'll be back with lots of questions. Better keep the coffee fresh.

22. Art_Of_War

Art_Of_War Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 9, 2005
    First, congrats Wyo for making it to knighthood and taking ownership of this thread.=D=

Now, to the question at hand...

It varies from person to person, I imagine. For some people, if they have just a passing interest in the era, could merely read some of the stories posted by that time period's many fans. On the other hand, if said people want an in depth look into these inspiring stories, there are three options that can be presented in their quest for info.

1) Play the games and read the comics that are set in this era.
    2) Use Wookiepedia- One of the premier online encyclopedias detailing everything Star Wars.

Or..

3) Have Q & A sessions/discussion with other people who are devoted to that time period.

Well, that's just a few suggestions...

23. Princess Cambria

Jan 20, 2006
    Ok, I decided to do some research on the internet first to understand who's who in KOTOR. Then my kids and I watched a couple of trailer's of the game (we don't do games yet). All I can say is WOW. I am hooked. The KOTOR seems very intriguing and fresh. Now I'm ready to dive into your index. I would love to see a movie of this by GL (well maybe not by GL since he kinda messes them up... a soap box of mine).

I do have a question...What's the personal betrayal that has affected Carth Onasi so badly?

Any fresh coffee?

24. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Okay, not to pimp my own fic, because that's a Bad Thing to Do, but it's one of several "KOTOR Original Interpretations." Succinctly put, it's when writers take the events of the game and attempt to put them into one epic-length fic. There's a ton of them floating around the internet, and if you PM me I can probably even point you in the direction of some good ones (mine's the only one on these boards, and promoting other sites is generally Frowned Upon, but I'd be happy to provide that information via PM). In any case, for people unwilling to spend 40 hours of their life on a computer game, it's a good way to go if you can find a well-written one. Which is, of course, the trick, but it has been done.

25. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Carth was a veteran of the Mandalorian Wars who served under Admiral Saul Karath in the Republic Navy. Carth was Karath's protoge and as well as a close personal friend. He considered Karath the very definition of a hero.

Unfortunately, Karath chose to defect from the Republic and join with the Sith under Lords Revan and Malak. He became the commander of their fleet and tried to convince Carth to do the same, but he wasn't having any part of it.

Later, Karath ordered the bombardment of Telos, Carth's homeworld. Carth lost his wife and son in the attack (though he later learned his son had survived, and had ironically joined the Sith as well).

Carth was understandably devestated by that betrayal, which forms the basis for his character when you meet him in KOTOR. He's sarcastic, cynical, and doesn't trust anyone - and he's driven by his hatred of the Sith.

I hope that helped :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.