main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Index Index of the Old Republic- KOTOR index and discussion- Winter update! New stories, new discussion.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by KOTOR_Index, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess Cambria

Princess Cambria Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2006
    Thanks guys for your expertise. I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

2. Princess Cambria

Jan 20, 2006
    sorry, double post.[face_blush]

3. Princess Cambria

Jan 20, 2006
    Question...Who is the Jedi Exile? [face_thinking]

4. bi0nic

bi0nic Jedi Master star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    Here's the link to Wookiepedia's page on the Exile, PRINCESSCAMBRIA. That site nearly always has excellent info on everything Star Wars (KOTOR included).

One small problem with this particular page right now seems to be that some people have evidently gone on a bit of a feminist jihad and declared that the Exile is categorically a member of the fairer sex.

There's nothing majorly wrong with that, except that the Exile, like Revan, is actually genderless because they're both main characters from RPG games in which the player can choose to play as either a male or female version.

But the rest of the info on there is sound, and should be able to answer any questions you may have.

5. Princess Cambria

Jan 20, 2006
    biOnic...appreciate the link. :)

Exile can be either sex...So which Exile works best in the KOTOR story line, male or female? And does Revan's gender way in on this? Or who is light or dark? [face_thinking]

6. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Cambria, I'm also new to the Kotor era, but I think Exile is best as a man. I've read fics where all three were men. It worked well.

Mr indexer, sir, or any knowldgeable KOTOR person, is the Jedi Temple on Dantooine or Coruscant?

7. WyoJedi

WyoJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 2005
    Since I'm on this ID I'll jump in...

brodie, the Jedi Temple is on Coruscant. There is an Enclave on Dantooine which they used for training as well during the KOTOR era.

PRINCESSCAMBRIA, Exile and Revan can both be either gender... although I've read that the canon interpretation is that both are male. Revan's gender does not really bare any sway with regards to the Exile, and both can be either Light or Dark Side... your choice!

Cheers,
    Wyo

8. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    Actually, the Exile was recently canonized as female. See The New Essential Guide to Droids, particularly the entries on G0-T0 and HK. In both entries, mention is made of the Jedi Exile, who is referred to as a "she". :)

9. WyoJedi

WyoJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 2005
    You are correct jedi_of_ennth! Wookieepedia even shows that now. I guess it must have changed since the last time I looked at it. Or maybe I just didn't pay close enough attention... Nah, that couldn't be it! :p

Thanks for correcting me. See folks... even I make mistakes. That was my quota for the week!

Cheers,
    Wyo

10. emeraldshadow

emeraldshadow Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 7, 2005
    Hello everybody. I was wondering if you could help me with something. Is there any place where I could find transcripts of some of the movies in KotOR? My disk got scratched and won't run(I'm heartbroken about it) and I wanted to go over some of the scenes for information for a fic I'm writing. If anyone could help me I'd really apreciate it.

11. bi0nic

Feb 15, 2006
    I'm not sure why, but yeah, it seems that according to strict canon, Revan is seen as male and the Exile now as female. If you ask me, gender shouldn't be specified for either of them, it just tramples over the games. KOTOR purism ftw!

emeraldshadow, it's pretty tricky trying to find a transcript of the game's dialogue. I've attempted to find one a couple times now, but to no avail. I would guess that the problem in trying to compile one is that it's not like a movie script in which the story progresses along a linear path. With games like KOTOR, there are dialogue branches which can follow a multitude of different routes and that would make it difficult to write it out in a consecutive, easy-to-understand fashion.

If anyone else has had more luck, I'd be interested in the result as well.

12. emeraldshadow

Oct 7, 2005
    I didn't think there would be any transcripts (mainly because of the dialogue branches), but I figured asking around would be worth a shot.

13. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    Emerald, if you still have the game installed on your computer, there is a way you can look for dialogue. In the main game folder, there is a file called "dialog.TLK", which has all the dialogue, subtitles, and messages for the game. You can open that up in Word, let it load (it's a HUGE file!) and if you remember a sentence or phrase from the scene you're searching for, you can search for it.

14. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Also, there is a KOTOR TLK editor you can download, I've used it before. Quite handy, for it lets you search for things, and I managed to eliminate the white space by searching for every line with the letter "e." Okay, so I might've missed something. But think of how many sentences exist that do not include "e" somewhere in it.

15. Handmaiden_Azul

Handmaiden_Azul Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Hello, peoples I was wondering if their are any Kotor challenges about?

16. Oddly_Salacious

Oddly_Salacious Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 5, 2005
    Curse my lack of thoroughness; I've discovered this index just now.

O

17. Princess Cambria

Jan 20, 2006
    How about it Captain of the Ebon Hawk? A challenge would be a great way to get more involved in the era and...take over the boards.[face_devil] :D

18. KOTOR_Index

KOTOR_Index Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2005
    A challenge? A challenge you say? Well here it is...

The First Official KOTOR_Index Challenge! Yay!

So what is this challenge? Glad you asked...

Knights of the Old Republic is full of events that occurred around 4000 years before Anakin Skywalker was a gleam in the Force's eye, before Palpatine figured out that his power could get him discounted opera tickets, before Luke Skywalker first whined about the Tatooine heat to Uncle Owen.

That much time normally lends itself to interesting changes in the true history. How would someone tell the story of KOTOR after the fact? 1000 years later? 3000 years later? Your mission, should you choose to accept it is to...

Write a KOTOR event as a Fairy Tale!

Will you write it like Dr. Suess?

You do not like the Force you say? Try it, try it and you may. Try it and you may I say.

Or more like the Brother's Grimm?

Once upon a time, the great and powerful wizard, Revan, terrorized the galaxy.

Or something completely different? The choice is up to you!

Time limit? There is none, unless you want there to be one... then it's 30 minutes!

There is one catch though... you must submit the fic to the Index when you have completed it. And what if you dont? Besides the repurcussions being deleterious in the extreme, and threatening the very fabric of the universe... well, ok nothing will happen, but it sure would be nice to have your story on the Index wouldn't it?

So have at it! Go forth and write! Write like the wind! Cause you only have 30 minutes, remember? Just kidding.

19. emeraldshadow

Oct 7, 2005
  20. KOTOR_Index

Dec 29, 2005
    New fic added to the Index (Post-KOTOR II)

Also wanted to up this for folks who still wished to try the challenge. I will give it about another week, then move on. If anyone has any KOTOR era discussion, feel free to stop by and start one up. I will try and have something up in a few days!

21. the_wandering_shadow

the_wandering_shadow Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    Oooh, a challenge!

I don't know if I'll be able get something done for this one, but I'll be keeping an extra close eye on this thread for new challenges.

22. KOTOR_Index

Dec 29, 2005
    New Topic of Discussion!

Something I have been thinking about lately regarding KOTOR and the characters involved...

Revan and the Exile... who do you prefer and why?

Personally I like Revan. I think that the character's battles between light and dark are significant. Not only is there the Jedi vs Sith battles going on, but a battle within himself between light and dark for dominance of his destiny. I've always seen the Exile's journey as trying to regain his place after being cut off from the Force, adn it just isn't as powerful a story to me.

So... let's hear your thoughts!

23. bi0nic

Feb 15, 2006
    Good topic Wyo!

Looking back on the games, I think I preferred Revan from a purely gameplaying standpoint, as he always felt like the stronger, more powerful, somehow cooler character to play than the Exile, who seemed to always be standing in Kreia's shadow up until the end.

But in terms of writing, even though they're both really interesting characters, I'd have to lean slightly towards the Exile. The conflict that Revan has, between the light and the dark aspects of his character, is one we've seen a thousand times before, most notably of course in the movies.

The Exile feels like much more of an everyman (recent female canonisation notwithstanding). His struggle to reconnect with the Force and to come to terms with his actions in the past is more compelling for me. That's because, I think, that he does it in the context of being a Jedi the whole time.

Unlike Revan, whose committing of atrocities can be explained away by his fall to the Dark Side and his becoming a Sith, with the Exile it's not that cut and dried. There's always a question about his character, did he fall? Did he not fall? Is he still a Jedi at heart, despite having done evil? What does it really mean to be a Jedi, especially at a time when the Jedi Order is smashed?

I don't know why, but I prefer the complexity that the character of the Exile lends itself to, unlike Revan's comparatively simple, bipolar experinces of both absolute Jediish goodness and absolute Sithish evil.

24. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    bi0nic, you took the words right out of my mouth. :p I love the Exile because she seems more complex than Revan. Also, for some reason, I never really connected with Revan when playing KOTOR1, but the Exile always intrigued me.

25. KOTOR_Index

Dec 29, 2005
    Hello again all!

Just a note for ya'll... Index (Post-KOTOR II)has been updated.

Enjoy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.