Index Index of the Old Republic- KOTOR index and discussion- Winter update! New stories, new discussion.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by KOTOR_Index, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. lordmaul13 Jedi Master

star 4
    I always liked HK-47 because he seemed to be the opposite of the stereotypical droid. He wasn't polite, he called people meatbags. He wasn't some prissy protocol droid, he was happy when things got violent.

I also like Kex, the Mandalorian quartermaster just because after you beat him in the battle circle you can ask if he still holds a grudge and he asks, "You still breathing?" Great line.

~lordmaul13
  2. KOTOR_Index Jedi Padawan

Woohoo! Glad to see some life on the thread :D

Just as a quick note... A Graveyard in the Making by Commander5052 has been added to the Pre-KotOR/Madalorian Wars section of the Index. Check it out!

Now... bionic, I never said I found her voice appealing. I just threw that out there as a possibility. You know, there may be some people who do (strange as they may be).8-}

As for myself, I like a lot of the minor characters. The whompering locker, Iziz (the Jawa in Anchorhead), and the guy in the enviro-suit on Hrakert Station who gets chomped by the firaxan shark all hold a special place for me. But I also really like Uthar Wynn. I think he is a great example of a Sith instructor.

3. Commander-DWH Shiny Costuming & Props Manager

Manager
    star 4
    That sounds like a strange cross between the whimpering locker and the whomping willow. Maybe it's a locker that reaches out and whacks you if you come too close. :p
  4. KOTOR_Index Jedi Padawan

Yes, I think it is one of those kind of lockers. [face_laugh] Well, of course I meant "whimpering" locker. Fat fingers and close keys will do that. I'm allowed to make a mistake now and then :p

And now that I have made it, back to the discussion...[face_dancing]
  5. bi0nic Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ahh, the memories are flooding back now. :)

Yes, of course, HK-47 (best droid evar!!1), Uthar Wynn, that bloke in the diving suit who gets eaten by the firaxan shark, how could I possibly forget all those guys!?

That last one in particular really is a classic, that cut-scene where he snuffs it is just pure hilarity. It always cheesed me off though how fast he managed to make it to the end of that underwater passageway in his suit while it took me hours to get anywhere in mine.

Just so I'm not only mentioning everyone else's favourites, I'll throw Yuthura Ban out there too. She was the one from the Academy who used to be a slave, but then turned on her Hutt Master--definitely a sympathetic Sith if ever there was one. Oh, and those two Twi'lek assassin sisters from 2 as well.

I think in the end I'm sticking with Bastila though, you just can't beat she of the prissy, posh bird, holier-than-thou attitude who slowly thaws into a really likeable and flawed character in possession of a multitude of issues with her family and with what it is to be a Jedi.
  6. Commander-DWH Shiny Costuming & Props Manager

Manager
    star 4
    Wyo, typo or no, I think that's going in the "funniest misspelled words" thread. :D

HK-47 is pretty awesome. I remember the first time my friends and I played, and we almost died laughing over his dialogue. And of he gets some of the best lines- "Definition: Love is a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope." It's totally in my collection of inspirational quotes about love, right next to "Lois, there will always be another headless corpse. But true love comes around maybe once." That is why I love Perry White.

But I digress. This is the KOTOR thread, after all.

And this isn't from the game, and he's not a minor character, but I am in love with Zayne Carrick, from the comics. He's the kind of character you just want to take home and feed chicken soup! [face_love] And his companions, Marn Hierogryph and Jarael are pretty cool. I'm a little ambivalent about Camper, but maybe he'll do something to make himself awesome. Hierogryph is just a hilarious small-time crook with delusions of grandeur, and Jarael reeks of awesome. Basically, I gave the comics a chance and decided I loved them. :D Plus, Carth is in the next volume, for which I am very excited.
  7. Minor_League_Commish Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hello, I am attempting to compile a list of fan fiction stories that feature minor SW character(s) as the main character(s). I plan to categorize these stories by era and alphabetize them according to author in each era. The problem I am facing is that G__Anakin, who graciously volunteered to assist me, and I know very little about the SW universe before the saga, or about the games! I know the names Revan and Darth Malak off the top of my head, and I am very sure they would be considered main characters.

Any assistance anyone is willing to lend would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    MLC
  8. Anderson84 Jedi Knight

How do I delete messages?
  9. Commander-DWH Shiny Costuming & Props Manager

Manager
    star 4
    I think if anyone has the power to delete, it's the mods. All we mere mortals must settle for editing our stuff away.
  10. karebear214 Jedi Master

star 4
    I liked quite a few of the KOTOR characters. I think Carth is still my favorite, and of course I also liked HK, but I'm surprised no one's yet mentioned Jolee. The sarcastic old man cracked me up quite a few times, and I think he has a lot of character potential, as a "Gray Jedi". Plus, the man lived on Kashyyyk for a couple decades and didn't die, which is impressive enough in itself.
  11. KOTOR_Index Jedi Padawan

Ahem... *pokes thread until it starts moving* Greetings all, it's me, DWH. I'm taking over management of the thread again, so hopefully we can get a bit more activity going here. :D

First, a new story for the index: The Dialogues of Revan by Anderson84!

And now, to encourage much-sought-after activity, I present you with first, a topic of discussion:

How do you handle the Old Republic Sith in your writing?

The Sith of the KOTOR era are very different than the ones we know and love from the movies. The ones at the top are just as ruthless, but without the rule of two, there are easily as many Sith as there are Jedi. More, once you roll around to KOTOR II. This means that there are a lot of apprentices, and a lot of henchmen. Yes, henchmen. Because it's a darn spiffy word. So how do you use the henchmen in your writing in a believable way?

This leads, of course, to a challenge...

I was a Sith Henchman... and the pay totally sucked.

In the game, the Sith said little beyond, "Lord Malak was most displeased, blah, blah, blah." They wore black, they didn't talk much, and you killed them off, one by one. Some of those in the military weren't even Force-sensitive. Take Random Sith #34 and tell his (or her!) story, and then post a link in the thread.

12. bi0nic Jedi Knight

star 3
    Wow, new management! Well done on caring enough to take over and give this thread a good kick in the pants, DWH. ;) Tis sad to see Wyo go, though. We KOTORites seem to be becoming a dying breed, especially as time continues to pass and KOTOR 3 continues to remain a non-entity. :(

Sith, hmm? Good topic! It's definitely one of the ares where there's a clear demarcation line between the KOTOR universe and Saga-era Star Wars, and therefore ripe for discussion in this thread.

More, even. As I recall, the word 'Sith' in KOTOR isn't restricted solely to Dark Side anti-Jedi, but also regular footsoldiers of the Sith Empire, who you correctly point out, DWH, aren't even necessarily Force-sensitive. In the films, 'Sith' is equivalent to 'Jedi', whereas in KOTOR, 'Sith' is almost equivalent to 'Republic'.

But then of course, we do have the Saga-esque, Force-wielding, Darth Vader-wannabe Sith Lord-type baddies as well, out of whom I'd have to say Kreia is the pick of the bunch. She's one of my favourite Sith evar, because you never knew where exactly you stood with her. She was sinsiter, but not out-and-out evil.

In that way, she's quintessentially KOTOR-ish, because she straddles the moral specturm, neither wholly good nor wholly evil, but somewhere in between, forcing the player to decide for him/herself where exactly his/her honest, ethical stance is to be found.

Or something.
  13. Commander-DWH Shiny Costuming & Props Manager

Manager
    star 4
    There is simply one solution to saving KOTOR on these boards, and that's activity. I know I'm as guilty as anyone on this count, but I believe it's important for the KOTOR crowd to band together. I think a lot of the newer writers don't realize there's an index here, so we need to be reading and reviewing their stories so that they know where to find us. That's how I got pulled into Resource, actually, by Sabyne in the "Guardians of the Old Republic" thread.

That being said, on to the Sith. :p I agree that KOTOR-era Sith are generally more interesting. Many of them entered the war for very legitimate reasons, and were loyal to Revan and Malak, even when they turned. And Revan wasn't exactly hell-bent on destruction, either.

Now, some of the Sith are classic Star Wars evil. Malak was only interested in destruction and power, and that was his downfall. Sion was only concerned with pain. And Nihilus basically wanted to suck the soul out of the galaxy (figuratively speaking). But that leaves us Revan and Kreia, both of whom are fascinating characters to work with. I admit, I've got a soft spot for Revan. I mean, we probably all do, since that's who we played. But especially after KOTOR 2 came out, the further information on Revan made me like the character even more. S/he wasn't just bent on galactic domination, there was something bigger out there. Something which will presumably be explained in the elusive KOTOR 3.

As a side note, LucasArts and Bioware are officially collaborating on something. I feel like it's almost too much to ask for it to be K3, but a girl can dream, right?

As to the Sith flunkies, the guys in black robes, I admit I usually skim over writing them. They're a bit like Force-sensitive Stormtroopers- anonymous and ubiquitous. I suppose, however, I can change this. Not like I didn't make up the challenge or anything. :p

Anywhoo, let's see some activity in this thread. We really need to round up our fellow KOTORites, lest this thread fall off the face of the boards.
  14. Darth_Nihilus100 Jedi Padawan

Title: Darth Nihilus, The Begining.
    Link to the story: http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=27692281&brd=10475
    Link to your user profile: http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/user.asp?usr=Darth_Nihilus100
    Genre: Action, Mystery
    Characters: Nihilus, Tresh Hakron,Tona Tanrin, Naga Sadow.
    Notes: This story explains about the unexplored world of Darth Nihilus.
  15. Commander-DWH Shiny Costuming & Props Manager

Manager
    star 4
    BUMP

Okay, people. I was just re-reading my comics, taking into consideration the revelation of Malak's real name, and this led me to Wookieepedia, where I started reading about all my favourite characters, and then I was looking through quotes, and I realized...

HOLY COW, this thread is dead. But why? Why?

This is the KOTOR that brought us a plot so compelling that we thought to take a video game and write stories about it! It wasn't just about Jedi and Sith, and killing as many bad guys as possible. KOTOR is a story where the morals are fuzzy, the Jedi aren't all good, the Sith aren't all bad, and the Mandalorians are just in it for a good fight!

I'm also reading Legacy of the Force, and the message is clear: the Jedi are the good guys, the Sith are the bad guys, and the good guys always win. That's the Star Wars we know, that's the Star Wars we expect. You know what we don't expect? Masters killing their apprentices. The Jedi Council mind-wiping their captives. The Sith almost completely destroying the Jedi.

It's a small slice of the canon, but that doesn't matter, because it's just that awesome!

I don't know what I have to do to see people posting in here more. I'm certainly open to suggestions. But I like this era way too much to just watch this thread sink to the bottom. Help me out, folks. What would you like to see?

HK-47 and Canderous are, of course, standing by if anyone tries to make any trouble. But seriously, suggestions on kicking some life back into this thread are more than welcome.
  16. bi0nic Jedi Knight

star 3
    There is absolutely no way, either in this universe, or any conceivable parallel universe, that I could possibly agree with you more, DWH.

It's positively criminal, criminal I say, that this thread is so under-frequented, considering the sheer, unadulterated brilliance that is KOTOR. It's not as if there aren't very many KOTOR writers around these days (a quick skim of Before will attest to that), and there are also people around who haven't played KOTOR but are still interested in the story, the characters and the universe as a whole. Why they're not all in here, I honestly don't know.

A pox on their various houses!

In terms of practical suggestions, one idea might be to start from scratch with some basic topic of discussion that can also appeal to people who maybe aren't intimately familiar with KOTOR, like when you think 'KOTOR', what comes to mind? Have you ever read a KOTOR fic even if you haven't played the games or read the comics? Is KOTOR an interesting/different addition to canon?

Another thing might be to somehow let KOTORites who don't stray into Resource know that this thread exists. I don't know if the PM equivalent of cold-calling is allowed (probably not), but that would at least raise awareness for KOTOR writers and readers that this thread is here.

I don't know, I'm at a bit of a loss, the same as you, DWH. sadface
  17. Commander-DWH Shiny Costuming & Props Manager

Manager
    star 4
    I do stand a little shamefaced, I did try going on a PM/commenting campaign a month or so ago, trying to get authors to submit their stories to the index and comment. I figured that was legit, because when the newest version of the Jaina/Jag index was opened, I got a PM from the thread managers saying, "Hey, you have a story! Come submit it!" My campaign seems to have failed, though.

I know that there are plenty of KOTOR threads in the EUC and Literature. Heck, I started the Carth Onasi fan thread, years ago. :p And there are the comics, which we haven't really discussed, but I know there are people who read the comics who haven't played the games. And I am of the opinion that they should be read, because they're really good. Especially if you've played the games- I just figured out who Malak was since they released his pre-Sith name, and I just about died. And in any case, Zayne is a fun character. I'm really excited for the third volume to come out in January. :D

I think, though, that stripping the discussion down to the basics might be a good idea. I know that at least half the people who read my own fics have never played the games. I'll also try to pimp the index in my next update. Who knows? It might lure a person or two in. When I decide on a good 'back to basics' topic, I'll post again.
  18. C1-J2 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey I just found this thread! Thanks for upping it!

I LOVE KotOR, in fact I've spent what little free time I've had in the past month replaying the second one. I've written a few stories, but have only posted one back in um . . . May when I joined the boards. My favorite characters are Carth, Atton, and the Disciple.

As far as writing Sith go, I haven't written them much, but in the story I posted I left them fairly mysterious and coniving - they aren't even really seen until the end. During NaNo I was working on a story about a dark female Revan and a male Jedi Exile joining forces to defeat the "True Sith," but I didn't get very far. I had thought about turning it into a kind of cracked pairing fic between the two of them, while keeping it about fighting the True Sith.

Also, the challenge you metioned about the Sith sounds very intriguing, and as soon as I can get my laptop to stop typing backwards, I may give it a shot.

When it comes to getting this thread moving, I'm at a lose. I'm not on almost at all have the time because of DRL being a pain in the neck, so I'm probably not much help in that area.

Take Care and Best of Luck!

C1
  19. Commander-DWH Shiny Costuming & Props Manager

Manager
    star 4
    Well, first of all, welcome to the thread, C1-J2! Don't worry if you can't come by often... this isn't such a huge and active community that you should ever feel silly for only posting every once in a long while. So just drop by when you can! :)

Also... story? Did I hear you posted a story? You could, you know, PM it to the Index sock... [face_whistling] :D

That's an intriguing idea for your NaNo novel- it hadn't actually occurred to me to pair off Revan and the Exile. Probably because I play them both LSF. :p What can I say? I'm a sucker for happy endings. Though I admit that one of my favourite endings is the DSF ending that was cut from the first game. In case you haven't downloaded the mod that unlocks it, it's an ending where Carth comes back and redeems Revan at the very, very end of the game, convinces Revan to kill Bastila and end her battle meditation, and they die together on the Star Forge. It's really beautiful, and it broke my heart. I may have to write a fic based around it (and confuse the heck out of everyone who's been following my other KOTOR continuity. Hooray!).

Man, now I want to go and play KOTOR... [face_love] Best game ever. For real.
  20. C1-J2 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Carth saves her!!! :eek: I've never seen that one! I recall seeing an offhand comment about it on another board but I never knew a mod could actually be downloaded for it!

I enjoy seeing all sides of a story so I tend to obsessively play through every possible scenario of the game just to see what will happen. Personally I prefer LSF as well because she can be paired with Carth who is totally awesome, but I figured if for the 3rd game the Exile and Revan went off to find the True Sith, them paired together would make an interesting scenario, especially if their alignments didn't agree.

And don't worry, as soon as I locate the story I'll PM the sock the link.

And KotOR is definitely the best game ever! Which reminds me . . .

One of my good friends refuses to play the game because of what happened to his friend. His friend obsessed over it, spent all of his free time on it, and spent 70+ hours searching for his lightsaber on Taris before giving up on the game. How the heck can you spend 70 hours on Taris?!?
  21. KOTOR_Index Jedi Padawan

Happy New Year, everyone! :D

Well, I finally have an update for you all. First and foremost, we have new fics for the index!

From KILIK, we have three new stories:
    Only Time Will Tell
    Just an Off Day
    A Desperate Union

From C1-J2 we have one new story:
    Breaking

And finally, two new stories from Commander-DWH:
    The Blue Side of the Force: Luminosity
    Emotions are Weird Like That- the diary of Morgan Onasi

Keep the stories coming in, everyone! It's always exciting to have multiple stories in an update, and I'm as guilty as anyone for not remembering to submit fics to the index. But it's awesome to see our collection of stories grow. Now, on to the second order of business...

What does KOTOR mean to you?

It's a pretty obscure era, but most people have heard of it by now, whether it's through the games or the comics. So what is the first thing that pops to mind when someone brings up KOTOR? Is it the amazing story? The quirky cast of characters? Are you taken with the redemption of Revan or the fall of Alek Squinquargesimus? Or do you just really like typing that last name? I know I sure do. Why type Malak when you can type Squinquargesimus? :p

Anyway, discuss! :D

And, as always, we're trying to find more KOTOR-loving folks to come and discuss with us, so if you're lurking, please feel free to hop in at any time. The more, the merrier, after all.

Additionally!

Suggestions on what to do with this thread in the coming year are welcome and appreciated! There are a lot of things that could be done, not only to be more active, but to add content. Author interviews? Fan Art? Workshops? Featured stories? Any of these are possible, and more, so suggestions, feedback, and improvisational music are all acceptable in this thread. :)
  22. C1-J2 Jedi Knight

star 3
    What does KOTOR mean to you?

I have to admit that Carth is the first thing that pops into my mind when someone mentions it. :p
    A close second though would have to be the story. The whole you being Revan through me off so much. I never would have thought about it, and I'm often the one driving people nuts by telling them who dun' it halfway through the movie/game/show. I remember sitting out in the office (this small room not connected to the house) at like midnight in middle school when I found out. I came into the house and my parents thought I'd seen a ghost or something.

And I admit Alek Squinquargesimus is a really cool name (glad his first name is generic though, if that was his first name I'd go crazy).
  23. brodiew Force Ghost

star 5
    Hello KOTORites. I have to admit I only made it throught the first third of the first game (got stuck and gave up), but the have gleaned the gist of the story from wiki and other fics I've found in Before. I like the idea of Kotor, and like the beyond Mandalorians, I'd like to learn more.

Random sith henchmen? Hmmm...
  24. bi0nic Jedi Knight

star 3
    QFT. The first time I played through KOTOR, I thought that twist was easily on a par with "Luke, I am your father". Subsequently, it does perhaps seem a little obvious, but at the time, I thought it was a brilliant move for an RPG game (where you always start off as someone with a largely mysterious/non-existent past) to cast you as the legendary, lost in the recent mists of time villain.

In answer to the question, what does KOTOR mean to me, though, I'd have to say moral choices. The thing that still stands out for me is the ability to play the game either as a pure, virtuous, saintly Jedi Knight or as a money-grubbing, torture-happy, pure-personification-of-evil Sith, or any shade of grey in between.

I don't think any other game I've seen has come close to doing that as well as KOTOR (although I haven't played Mass Effect yet).
  25. Commander-DWH Shiny Costuming & Props Manager

Manager
    star 4
    *co-op knocks* Seriously, I was beyond shocked with the plot twist. I actually wrote a ten-page paper on that a few years ago. Well, specifically it was about how identification works in comptuer RPGs, using the KOTOR games as the primary example. You can find it here: "What Would You Say if I Told You I was Darth Revan?": Identification in Knights of the Old Republic I'm rather fond of that paper; it was one of the most entertaining things I had the opportunity to write in college.

KOTOR, to me, is the story. It's phenomenal, and opens up a whole new realm of narrative interest to me. In my philosophy minor, I mostly concerned myself with aesthetics, and I was always taking notes on the game. Yeah, I'm a total geek. But I played it while I was taking my philosophy of film course, so those thoughts were always floating around in the back of my head while I was playing. So a lot of the game is, to me, the way an RPG narrative differs from the traditional cinematic form, and how that makes you more invested in the story and characters.

Now that I've bored you all, I'll just say welcome to brodiew. :p Whether or not you've finished the game, you're more than welcome here. Also, if you're interested in the Mandalorians, I'd highly recommend checking out the comics, because they feature pretty heavily (being, you know, set in the Mandalorian Wars and all...). Also, Zayne's just awesome. :D
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.