Indiana Jones Action Figures

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Captain_Typho, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain_Typho Force Ghost

star 5
    I went to my local Walmart Saturday night and they had all the Indy action figures sprawled out in all their glory. Let me tell you what, these things are absolutely beautiful and made in the same style as the Star Wars figures. Only problem was, when I went to check out, the register beeped at me and told me I was trying to buy them before the street date. Now I've worked in retail, and I know that action figures are street dated with a huge label right on the box, so what idiot decided to put the whole shelf together and tease me like that? Anyways, I was not able to get the figures and had to put my whole cart back. Does anyone know when the street date is?
  2. Princess_Tina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I read somewhere it's supposed to be May 1st.
  3. Klix Jedi Knight

star 3
    I work at Toys "R" Us. These came in last week and the boxes are stamped in red "not to be put on shelves until May 1."
  4. Jedi_Reject_Jesse Force Ghost

star 7
    You should have stole them.
  5. Princess_Tina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I hope I see some in stores on May 1st. [face_dancing]
  6. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Speaking of stuff hitting the shelves early I saw the Indy DK Visual Dictionary on the shelf today at Hastings. It's not suppose to come out until the 20th or 22nd so I was surprise to see it. I flipped through it and it is fantastic. I didn't have enough money for it today so hopefully it will still be there tomorrow.
  7. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Huh, very cool. Here's hoping I get lucky when I head out tomorrow. It's probably not going to happen, considering my area isn't the greatest with stuff like that, but you never know.
  8. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Don't forget that Young Indy Vol. 3 comes out tomorrow as well.

EDIT: I just checked Amazon.com and the DK Visual Dictionary actually hits shelves officially on May 5th. So I only saw it a week early. Still very cool. The Lost Journel of Indiana Jones comes out on the 6th.

I think the Indy hunt has officially begun.
  9. Captain_Typho Force Ghost

star 5
    Realistically I'd like to buy 2 of every figure....one for out of box display, and one for collecting, but I just don't have the finances.
  10. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Neither do I.

Ayter years of buying Star Wars figures I have almost no room whatsoever for Indy figures. The best I could manage was to squeeze out enough space to hang 12 carded figures. I'm going to have to be really picky.
  11. Captain_Typho Force Ghost

star 5
    Well fortunately it looks like it won't be going haywire the way Star Wars figures did. From what I saw on the shelf, the first wave basic assortment only had figures from Raiders and Last Crusade. I'd say about 8 characters from each film. Then I saw a truck vehicle, and a few ultra figure packs that had Indy on a horse, the motorcycle from last crusade....and something else. My tax refund check might need to go to indy figures rather than paying off debt.
  12. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Last Crusade figures were already on the shelf? I thought that wave wasn't suppose to hit shelves until July.

I'm pretty sure this is the wave by wave breakdown.

Wave 1 = Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Wave 2 = Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    Wave 3 = The Last Crusade
    Wave 4 = Temple of Doom(?)

I haven't been keeping up with the toy info as much as I'd like so I'm iffy about when things are suppose to be released.
  13. Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    This is a long-awaited rectification of a serious marketing oversight! The toys for the first movie were produced in such limited quantities that they're now incredibly hard to find and very expensive to boot; the toys for the second movie were underwhelming and kinda goofy to the point that I just don't care to collect them; and there were no toys made for the third movie as far as I know. The prospect of real Raiders action figures gives me a thrill! I always wanted my very own Marion Ravenwood!!!!
  14. Blur Force Ghost

star 4

Quote:

"This is a long-awaited rectification of a serious marketing oversight! The toys for the first movie were produced in such limited quantities that they're now incredibly hard to find and very expensive to boot; the toys for the second movie were underwhelming and kinda goofy to the point that I just don't care to collect them; and there were no toys made for the third movie as far as I know. The prospect of real Raiders action figures gives me a thrill! I always wanted my very own Marion Ravenwood!!!!"

Exactly - I have wanted new IJ figures from the first three films (Raiders, TOD, Last Crusade) for probably 15+ years, and it's great that they're finally (almost) here. I completely agree that the original "Raiders" figures by Kenner were hard to find, and by today's standards aren't even that great. LJN's TOD figures were a joke, very poor in appearance and construction. And, you're right, there were never any figures made for LC.

It's too bad that it took so long to make new Indy figures, but at least we're finally getting them! Here's hoping for a long and healthy IJ line, including these:

* Toht
    * German mechanic
    * Belloq (from the beginning of "Raiders")
    * Indy in German soldier outfit
    * Indy in white tux/suit (beginning of TOD)
    * Thugee
    * Short Round
    * Willie Scott
    * Mola Ram

15. JediOverlord Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah, the toys from the original Kenner Raiders toyline were pretty rare. I mentioned in the "Growing Up Indiana Jones" thread how living in a small town in rural Michigan, I never saw them except at stores in the nearby big cities. I even remember seeing the Mola Ram figure from JLN's TOD line one time, but only at a toy store in the mall.

What's nice about Hasbro's toyline is that it will be everywhere, at Wal-Mart, Target, Toys R Us, pretty much any place that sells toys.
  16. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Huh, didn't know all that about the toys. I remember seeing some action figures at Disney several times, but never bothered. Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing! :)

With that said, I'm psyched for tomorrow. I'm definitely heading out and picking up some of the figures tomorrow. The real question is whether I want to open them up or keep them in the packaging. That's always the hardest decision for a collector and right now, I'm torn. [face_frustrated]
  17. Icebreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    I might have just skipped over it, but what's the retail price of these things?

I want to get them tomorrow, but I don't have the money. I have to wait until Friday when I get a pretty fatty paycheck. But I have the same dilema too HanSolo29. At the end of the ROTS line I bought Vader and left him in the box. I only have the POTF Ben Kenobi in the box and I think a Leia. Everything else I have opened, but I see how easily things get lost and misplaced, so I think I am going to start keeping them in the box. But I have to get at least ONE version of Indy to open and put on my desk. I have waited a very long time for an Indiana Jones action figure. I might double-up on the the Raiders wave of the figures so that I can open them and have a duplicate of them in the box still. I am actually pretty excited to get these. I haven't collected anything in a few years!

-matthew
  18. Jedi_Reject_Jesse Force Ghost

star 7
    I'm hoping for a figure of Remy from the Young Indy Chronicles. :p

Arrgggh, I can't believe this. It's making me want to collect action figures again.
  19. Captain_Typho Force Ghost

star 5

Then there is some serious confusion out there.....I went to Target today....and they had all Raiders figures (bought them all btw).....wave 1 as you suggest. But when I went to the Walmart that had them out last Sunday before the street date, they had in basic assortment figures from Crystal Skull and Raiders. And then in the $10 multipacks, they had Indy and the motorcycle from Last Crusade, and I think they might have had something on the shelves from temple of doom as well. The Last Crusade multipack being on the shelf was very strange indeed.....

Anyway, when does wave 2 (crystal skull) hit shelves so I can be prepared?
  20. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I'm only refering to the basic action figures not the deluxe packs. The Last Crusade German Motorcycle set is suppose to be out already. However the Last Crusade basic figures don't arrive until latter in the summer.

As so as I got of of class today I went to Walmart and they hadn't put out ANYTHING!:_|
  21. Captain_Typho Force Ghost

star 5
    Then why on Earth were Raiders figures the only ones on the shelf? Unless someone literally bought all the crystal skull figures...
  22. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Captian_Typho here's where you need to go for info:
    http://www.cooltoyreview.com/TF2008/Hasbro/IJpresentation/default.asp

Hasbro's Indiana Jones Toy Fair 2008 Slide Show gives these release dates for the action figures:

Wave 1: Raiders of the Lost Ark (May 1st)
    Wave 2: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (May 1st)
    Wave 3: The Last Crusade (July)
    Wave 3: The Temple of Doom (September)

If you haven't seen Wave 2 at Walmart it's probably because they either didn't get it yet. They haven't put it out. Or they're already sold out. I say its probably one of the first two options.
  23. DarthMak Force Ghost

star 5
    Nice to finally see these in the stores. I got Raiders Indy with jacket and the 12 inch Indy with the cracking whip noise. I wasn't a big fan of the 12 inch figures when I saw the first images, but in person they look better.

Didn't see any Crystal Skull figures at Target or Walmart. And my local KB didn't even have anything out.
  24. thejeditraitor Chosen One

star 4
    hey guys,
    i haven't been on the boards for a long time.
    tonight i remembered the figs came out so i went to my walmart.
    they were completely wiped out. all they had were 2 soldier 2-packs,
    1 kotc indy and a few mutt williams. i grabbed the indy. it's cool but there's
    no hat!! ha! ha! no one likes mutt!

have you guys seen the relics inside? there are different ones for each fig.
    i got "the dagger of atreyu". i wonder what that is? in kotc i guess? if you
    get six of the stickers that are with the relics you send away for a crystal
    skeleton with throne. sounds wicked.
  25. DarthMak Force Ghost

star 5
    Hey guys, I highly recommend the 12 inch whip crackin' Indy. The whip swinging is actually pretty realistic, and it actually swings around his head like in the movie. The sound is cool too. This is probably the best toy in the line IMO.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.