main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indiana Jones and the Box Office Tracker - Quarter of a Billion Dollars and Counting

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Gobi-1, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Icebreaker

Icebreaker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 20, 2001
    The Dark Knight is going to be huge. Batman Begins got rave reviews, had tremendous legs, and performed fantastically on DVD. Add that to the fact that the Joker is in the film. Then on the more morbid side people are curious as to what Heath was able to pull off in his final performance (which looks amazing, BTW). This movie will crack $300 Million. How far above it is anybody's guess... but it will make it (if only by a little).

-matthew

2. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

Crystal Skull is doing really great overseas.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117986714.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

3. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    It's interesting to see it only dropped 51% overseas on its second weekend. [face_thinking]

4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't think SitC is going to do well next weekend. Rotten Tomatoes has it rated Rotten at 55%, which means a whole lot of people's hometown reviewers aren't very keen on it. For all the fanboy ranting on hater sites like 4Chan and whatnot, those aren't the people viewers listen to, and Indy has a 77% freshness rating on RT. As far as local word-of-mouth... well, most people I know have been saying, "it wasn't as good as the others, but it was fun". Hopefully Skull will have a bit more staying power.

As to how The Dark Knight will do... I think it's gonna be an amazing film, but yes, BB was not a huge, huge film... didn't crack 200mil. And I know BB has done great on DVD, but The Dark Knight has another problem... a *lot* of people don't know about it. I mean a lot of the general public. If I mention "The Dark Knight" to normal people I know, they just stare at me. When I remind it's the new Batman movie, I'd say only about half even realize there is a new Batman movie. Sure, they'll be more advertising as it approaches, but I think (as much as I love the title) not having 'Batman' in the title is gonna hurt it with a lot of average viewers who will just glance past its title in their movie listings... I predict it will do about 270 mil, maybe. I doubt it'll break 300...

-sj loves kevin spacey

5. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Actually Batman Begins did crack the 200 million dollar mark with $205,343,774 million domestically.

Domestic Total = $215,635,899
    Foreign Total = $265,600,000
    Worldwide Total = $481,235,899

Box Office Mojo's Indiana Jones Page
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=indianajones4.htm

$481,235,899 in 11 days. Wow! [face_hypnotized]

6. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    Well, it's recouped it's budget + promotional expenses...

7. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    Here in the UK Kingdom of the Crystal Skull has done well it pulled in £12,227,799 pounds in its first weekend which is about $24 Million Dollars and its current number is £27,588,451 pounds which is about $54 Million Dollars it's not record breaking but it?s very good.

8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Not bad for an old man! :p

9. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

It's been out 15 days and it's made (assuming more people buy tickets on a Friday than during the week) half a billion dollars as of today. That's excellent. I wonder how much it will have made in 50 days?

It hasn't even opened in Japan, and that's a HUGE market of Indiana Jones fans. That country alone should add substantially to Indy's box office take.

I'd like to see it make at least 640 million, which would be a tidy sum. I chose that figure because that's right about what AOTC made, and I think Indy 4 should at least make as much as a Star Wars prequel.

10. jedijason330

jedijason330 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2005
    Looks like it's still running strong. May be able to pull in $20 million this weekend. Suprised to see SiTC doing so good still.

11. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Weekend numbers are in and Indy is still holding his own.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

1. Kung Fu Panda = $60,000,000
    2. You Don't Mess with the Zohan = $40,000,000
    3. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull = $22,805,000

Indy Box Office:
    Domestic Total = $253,026,000
    Foreign Total = $267,115,229
    Worldwide Total = $520,141,229

Box Office Mojo's Indiana Jones Page
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=indianajones4.htm

Iron Man vs Indy
    Iron Man at Day 18 = $226,196,567
    Indiana Jones at Day 18 = $253,026,000

Iron Man
    Domestic Total = $288,893,000
    Foreign Total = $241,426,245
    Worldwide Total = $530,319,245

Iron Man is about fall to Dr. Jones. [face_dancing]

12. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    This is great. I was hoping Indy would have this kind of staying power at the box office, and so far it is looking to be the case. It knocked out sex in the city this weekend and doing 21 million the 3rd weekend isn't bad at all. The true test will be to see how it does this upcoming weekend and to see how it will fare against Zohan and Panda in their second weeks of release. My predictions for this upcoming weekend.

#1Hulk
    #2Panda
    #3Indy
    #4 Zohan

13. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    *Laughs at SATC's big second-week dropoff.*

--MissPadme

14. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Indy's catching to Iron Man actually, pretty impressive. I'm surprised Iron Man is still hanging around so strongly, it obviously has great word of mouth.

15. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Just a question, how is "Indy" catching up to "Iron Man' a big surprise to anyone? Perhaps the biggest movie franchise outside of "Star Wars". The film was guaranteed to make a ton of cash, no matter what the quality. It has a far bigger target audience than "Iron Man" did. The fact that "Iron Man" will almost make as much is what should surprise people.

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well, Iron Man has great word of mouth and has been doing really well. It's not exactly surprising that Indy would be the top summer movie (as it almost certainly will be), but it's just nice to see it passing probably its biggest competition.

-sj loves kevin spacey

17. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I'm happy that this summer got off to a better start, at least if movie attendance is a reliable barometer of how much fun people have with this year's summer movies. Both Iron Man and KotCS are terrific summer-season entertainment, which many of us will certainly enjoy yet again on DVD or Blu-Ray towards the end of the year. [face_dancing]

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well if they do release Skull on Blu-ray for Christmas, they best release the others as well. And SW. I mean, cooome on, how much longer do we have to wait!

-sj loves kevin spacey

19. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    When it comes to certain popular series, like Indy, Star Wars, Back to the Futures, Star Trek, LOTR, etc., they know we'll probably wait as long as they make us wait. :(

But I do hope the release of KotCS will be a good incentive to release the other Indy movies on Blu-Ray! :)

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Weeeell, I'm not going to have a Blu-ray player for a long, long, long time anyway. But my parents have one.

-sj loves kevin spacey

21. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    We might be seeing some major discounts on BR players around the Holidays. [face_dancing]

22. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    Now that the format war is over we might see the likes of Star Wars and Indiana Jones and such coming to Blu-Ray soon.

23. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    *Fixed.

24. CaptSparrow

CaptSparrow Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2006
    Indy has surpassed Iron Man, in half the time, so now I'm content (don't know why, I thought the movie was extremely bad).

25. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    I disagree. Shamalan has been so bad lately, I'd be really surprised if he'll even come in #2. It might beat Indy for the #3 slot but Dr. Jones won't go down without a fight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.