main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Revealed At The VMA's!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by MasterYogurt, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I don't know, the other Indy titles were more simpler sounding. This one is pretty specific. Oh well, as long as it's a good movie.

2. D-Ludicrous

D-Ludicrous Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2006
    and Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark is not wordy?

3. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    It was originally JUST Raiders of the Lost Ark. The Indiana Jones and part was added for the DVD release.

Kind of like it was JUST Star Wars before A New Hope was added.

I for one, think this title is pretty stupid sounding.

HE-MAN!!! And the Kingdom of the Crystal GreySkull!!!!

4. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    LOL! Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Sounds like a George Lucas title, if ever I heard one.... Though perhaps not quite as much as The Phantom Menace! ;)

I think its a cool title, but then I like all of Lucas's campy, serial matinee style title. I even defended Attack of the Clones! [face_laugh]

5. Med_21B

Med_21B Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2004
    I think it's fitting. Sounds like an Indy film to me.

_Max

6. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    Well, it didn't originally have "Indiana Jones and". And "Lost Ark" rolls off the tongue easier than "Crystal Skull". For me, anyway.

But I still reserve the right to love this title in a few days' time, just in case. ;)

7. JFuchs77

JFuchs77 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull sounds like an awesome title.

8. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Absolutely love the title. Perfect for Indy.

And I can't wait to see what that Kingdom, and that skull, looks like on film.
    And I'm not talking about peeking at sets or locations either. Whatever you see in person
    will not look the same on the big screen. Remember, this is Lucas and Spielberg,
    they'll turn what's shot on the set into magic.

Which reminds me, does anyone know if the project is being shot on film or video,
    like the last 2 Star Wars films?

9. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    Its being shot on film Spielberg doesn't like to use digital cameras because he still likes?s doing it the old fashioned way.

10. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I was amazed that there is such an artifact as a crystal skull out there! Not only that but there are more than one!

11. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    *sniffs with pride*

You can't just say that the title is pulpy and pass it on that criterion alone. There so much more to consider... and so much more that in this case I believe has not been considered.

Sure, the title is 'pulpy', but so what? Temple of Doom is pulpy - but above that, and infinitely more important than that - it's a fantastic phrase to look at and to say, full of connotation (as are Raiders and Last Crusade). Kingdom... is none of those things.

To be honest, some of the posts in this thread sound like they are 'loving' the title because they feel they have to, or because it'll be against prevailing opinion to do so... which makes you seem more insightful. Which is stupid.

Fact is, this title doesn't flow, at all. All three previous titles tripped off the tongue in style. They are a joy to say. Not only are the old titles silky in the mouth, they are suggestive, full of implication, and leave you gagging for more in the same way a tight lyric will. This title is an unsightly mouthful, it's unhelpful, and what's worse (much worse) is it feels like nobody knew what the priority should be in a title.

This is a poor title, and shows how far Lucas has fallen with his poetry.

EDIT: And just to say... Attack of the Clones does stand up. Technically, it's a fine title.

EDITS: Because I am an imbecile and can't do mark-ups.

12. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000
    To be honest, some of the posts in this thread sound like they are 'loving' the title because they feel they have to, or because it'll be against prevailing opinion to do so... which makes you seem more insightful. Which is stupid.

That's your interpretation. Unless you have the power to read minds, please don't ascribe motivations for others.

Perspective:

I think on this, the sixth anniversary of 9/11, whether or not a movie title is klunky seems like very trivial stuff.

13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I'd be intrigued to hear you actually counter what I've said.

I think you shouldn't be posting that in this thread, as this thread is about a movie title. This is where people come to discuss a movie title. This is not where people come to discuss those events.

The movie title is clunky. Have a nice day. :)

14. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

You might want to read the Terms of Service.

15. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
  16. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    want some cheese with that wine?

Anyway, I'm basically posting to say that I don't care what the movie is called. It's a new Indiana Jones film. That's all that matters, frankly.

...And I nominate Jaws for cheesiest Spielberg title ever. Cheesy, but effective. :p

17. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    [face_laugh]

Anyway. The title is awful. Absolutely terrible. Indian Jones and the ...what now? I first heard it yesterday afternoon and it has taken me over 24 hours to actually remember it. Not catchy. Not cool. Just clunky, Lucas-supposedly-cool B-Grade stuff.

18. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I'd really like to know how you know that this title is Lucas' idea...
    Not that you would be able to come up with an answer for that.

That being said, I definately would have liked to have a different title. It's not the worst title I have seen, but I'm pretty sure that there were better ones to choose from.

19. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    If anyone wants to know where Lucas got his Crystal Skull idea from, watch this!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=OwrGQuFyRDQ

Read it here!
    http://blogs.starwars.com/holocron/44

http://www.mitchell-hedges.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.A._Mitchell-Hedges

20. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    The story behind the crystal skulls is very cool and will work well in the Indy universe, but seriously, that title is way too long and way too clunky. Why not just Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull? Even that isn't an amazing title, but it flows so much better.

21. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Generally, titles are a Lucas thing. However you are of course correct I cannot know for sure that Lucas came up with it, or even chose it.

What you should be noting here, isn't that I've assumed Lucas is the source (even though it's a good bet he was a significant influence on the title), but that it's a significant step down from previous titles Lucas has had a hand in. The 'poetry' is way off.

You say there may well have been better titles to choose from, and I expect there were, but when you take that into consideration it make the crime even worse. Lucas and Co have 'chosen poorly', they have failed to match this title with the ethos of the previous three. If better alternatives were on the table, it really makes you wonder why this title was chosen, and what the creative motivation behind it was.

22. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    Honestly who cares what it's called? It's not like we'll all be at the ticket window going "Uh, yeah, two tickets for Indiana Jones and the Cryst-whoops, Kingdom of Skulls-no, that's not right..." No. We'll just be like "Yo! Two fo' Indy 4!"

23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Well then I propose we simply identify each new film by a number.

This film will be number 43570.

I am really looking forward to film number 43570.

24. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I don?t have the quote on hand or memorized word for word, but didn?t Lucas say something along the lines of the new film being the Indy equivalent of The Phantom Menace? A big reason that film feels a bit distant from the others in the series is because of the fact that one of the key characters in the story was a child. Similarly, as long as honest characterization isn?t thrown out the window, logic dictates that an Indy film starring a sixty-something incarnation of the protagonist exhibit a slightly different emphasis in terms of his rollicking, action first attitude. Indeed, I wouldn?t be surprised if, despite the overall series style of action and adventure, Indy himself clearly not portrayed as the same adventurer capable of physically shrugging off anything and everything. In this way a title that doesn?t ?flow off the tongue like poetry? may be the perfect start in regards to reframing the series in accordance to the title character?s "present standing" in life.

I won?t be sure until I see the film, of course, but at this stage of the game I think it works fine.

25. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    The problem with that is 'The Phantom Menace' is actually a very good title. You can change the emphasis of a film and indeed, it's title, without sacrificing basic construction. You can be distant, and yet still 'on the ball'. You can't claim that it's okay to churn out a distinctly dodgy title because the film may be a different beast to before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.