main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by General Kenobi , Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    It sounds like old UFO movie music, but with a heavy dose of Williams's trademark melodrama. Good stuff!

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I agree.

3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I watched the film today for the first time since the opening day, and I must admit the music was a lot better than I remembered. In fact, the whole film was better than I remembered.

4. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I watched it again recently and feel the same way. There are some great stunts in the opening warehouse scene. Check out the moment where Indy drops from the rafters on a chain. THATS REALLY HARRISON FORD! I liked the motorcycle chase in the theater and it's great at home. People complain about the bluescreen moments in the jungle chase but there were some live action bits that were really astonishing. Like when one of the Russians is hanging off the back of the jeep Indy is driving while he has mac in the headlock. The guy gets up and he throws the bag with the Crystal skull to Spalko who's in the jeep alongside, and then Indy knocked off. That all happens in one take! The movie is better without all the expectations.

Ditto the music. Spalko's theme and the Crystal Skull theme are both really good themes.

5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Good to hear people revisiting and enjoying the film and the score. :)

6. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It's too soon I know but I cannot help but wonder when we might get an expanded version of this score...

7. wedwood

wedwood Jedi Padawan

Feb 10, 2010
    Now that a little time has passed, I'm starting to get the same nostalgic affection for the Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull soundtrack, that I get when I listen to the other three Indiana Jones soundtracks.

When I was listening again to it tonight, it struck me that this is one of John Williams best pieces of work since the heady days of the 70's and 80's.

The energy in some of the tracks (eg Adventures of Mutt, Ants!), could easily have come from one of the earlier soundtracks.

Irina's Theme has echoes of the Imperial March, while Snake Pit could easily be in the Temple of Doom score.

I remember when I came out of the cinema in 1989 I was a bit underwhelmed with the Last Crusade, but its now one of my favourites. Something similar is happening with the Crystal Skull score.

8. StarWarrior77

StarWarrior77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2008
    I like the Crystal Skull music. I even own the soundtrack. Great music from John Williams. =D=

9. ebamf

ebamf Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2009
    I was just wondering about this the other day, it would be really cool to have, as there's a whole motif written for the Russians that does not appear anywhere on the soundtrack except for the end credits.

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah I really love having all the other scores be (almost) complete. There is music from Crystal Skull that I do want. The bits with Henry's theme are at the top of my list for sure.

11. ebamf

ebamf Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2009
    You should check out this playlist, it has some unreleased music

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=5D2E7EE21EE63A31&search_query=indiana+jones+and+the+kingdom+of+the+crystal+skull+soundtrack

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah but I cannot handle YouTube's audio quality. I want something I can listen to anywhere and that has high sound quality.

13. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    Same with me. I watched it on DVD last night and I think it is extremely underrated.

14. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    While on the whole I still think the film is hit-or-miss, there is one (musical) moment that's pure magic: "None of them were you" as Marion's theme plays.

On the other end of the spectrum, it was EXTREMELY disappointing that Indy's first "theme music power-up" when he starts to escape the warehouse was simply the Hovitos escape music from Raiders tracked over the film. Seriously?

At least, lazy though it was, it's awesome music, unlike the really blah TPM action music that got tracked in for the last act of AotC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.