main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings novelization cancelled

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by TheGoonie, Jun 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheGoonie

TheGoonie Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2009
    I know this has been posted by one of our members over at TheRaven in the Staff of Kings game thread, but I thought it would get some more attention here.

LucasArts and Lucasfilm has cancelled the novelization to the video game Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings. Apparently Rob MacGregor already completed the novel, but it won't get printed. There is a little info about the cancellation over at the Raven:
    TheRaven: Staff of Kings Novelization Cancelled

A petition has been started to get the book published. If you are an Indy fan and you want to help get the new Indy novel published, sign the petition:
    Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings Petition

Rob MacGregor also mentions the cancellation and the petition on his blog:
    http://ofscarabs.blogspot.com/2009/05/indiana-jones-and-last-synchronicity.html

Also there has been a Facebook group started:
    Facebook Group: GET THE "INDIANA JONES AND THE STAFF OF KINGS" NOVEL PUBLISHED!

Show your support and hopefully the book will get published!

2. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    That's rather bizarre considering McGregor already finished it. I wonder if this is related to the economic woes plaguing the country. I know that print media, specifically magazines and newspapers, are struggling but hadn't heard anything about books publishers. Maybe LucasFilm doesn't think they're will be a large market for such a book. However I don't see why they could do a small limited print run based on pre-sales.

3. TheGoonie

TheGoonie Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2009
    Rob MacGregor mentions it in his blog, one of the links I posted in the first post. It had to do with scheduling. The book was going to be published next year, that is if Staff of Kings was on the new game platform. But, then they ended up releasing it this year on the old platform and LucasArts decided to cancel the book.

We've got over 200 signatures on the petition, so there is interest out there. Keep those signatures coming.

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Huh. Interesting news. Although, it's not at all surprising. Indy merchandise doesn't seem to be able to catch a break. :(

5. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    No, it seems to be on the decline, which is kind of sad. :( I think it may be a lack of innovation with the new products. That seems to be why the Indy magazine was canceled. When I read SW Insider, it makes me want to go out and fry womp rats, or at least jump up and be exicted about where Star Wars is going. When I read the Indy magazine it makes me feel...blech.

6. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    I think it was obvious by the 3rd issue when there wasn't any kind of fan feedback section that the Indy magazine was never intended to last more then six to eight issues. Personally I would like to see Star Wars Insider start publishing more Indy articles. Plus articles covering "Red Tails."

7. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    But it's Star Wars Insider.

8. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    It's never stopped them before. Star Wars Insider is the defacto LucasFilm publication so in years past they've covered non-Star Wars projects. There's been articles on Indy and American Graffiti. They even put a Temple of Doom cover out when Indy 4 was announced. So it's really not a problem. It would be nice to have a couple of pages devoted to Indy.

9. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Not if it would detract from regular Star Wars material. If not, then I guess there's no problem with it.

10. TheGoonie

TheGoonie Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2009
    We've got 313 signatures on the petition now. Right on! Keep those signatures coming and pass the message on to other Indy fans. [face_peace]

11. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Personally, I'd like to see the SW Insider do what Bantha Tracks did and move back into Lucasfilm Magazine covering all aspects of Lucasfilm.

They can still cover core SW subjects like the CW series and upcoming live-action show, but include Red Tails, ILM's first feature length foray into animation with Gore Verbinski's Rango,etc.

12. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I have to agree, Shane.

Even if it appears as if there's a lot to report about Star Wars, there really isn't. One reason I stopped subscribing to the magazine is because most of its pages were filler. It was either a top 10 list of some sort or an interview with an obscure person who helped in some way with the special effects in the Prequels. None of which really interested me. Even the breaking news sections weren't 'breaking' anymore with the internet informing us weeks in advance to the publication date.

Maybe all of that would change if they started focusing more on LFL projects in general. It would be nice to see exclusive interviews from Indy, Red Tails and whatever else Lucas is currently working on or has worked on. If it ever switched over, I know I would renew my subscription.

13. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    You can say that again! :(

14. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yep. Me too. Cancelled in '07 for same exact reason you did(except for the special effects stuff. I'm nuts about all that stuff. But the others were spot on the same as me).

I would renew if they shifted focus to all things Lucas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.