main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and the Last Crusade. Anyone still watch them?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by JediMasterKendo, May 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMasterKendo

JediMasterKendo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2000
    I still have them on VHS since the DVD set is still a little expensive.

I still get creeped out by Mola Ram clutching that one male slave's heart in his hand and its still beating.

Kali Ma Shukti Day

2. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    I watch them all the time.

3. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Yes I watch all of the Indiana Jones films. Actually Temple of Doom is my favorite (much to the befuddlement of a couple of friends) as it's most in keeping with the spirit of the movie serials the IJ films are based on. Last Crusade is probably my least favorite of the three as Crusade introduced a lot of James Bond type humor (e.g., Stuka in the tunnel sequence, complete with pilot doing double-take), which really felt out of place in the context of the first two films.

And yes, Mola Ram is a great baddie... complete with evil maniacal laugh.

Yancy

4. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    Bought the DVD when it came out, but didn't get a chance to sit down and actually watch the movies until about 2 months ago. I'm glad I had gotten distracted with work an forgotten about my boxset because in that time I'd managed to get myself a nice 39" LCD widescreen TV and a decent soundsystem. I have to say that a) the DVDs are spectacular and b) having not watched the movies in almost 7 years, it was almost like watching the films for the first time. There was SO MUCH about the films that I'd forgotten and so much that was unfamiliar, it was absolutely gripping - especially on a nice big screen and with great sound (I've never seeing an Indiana Jones movie in a movie theater). "Raiders" looked the most dated, but the jokes are a lot funnier now that I'm a lot older and the pacing makes more sense and the finale is just awesome. "Temple of Doom" is my absolute favorite and watching it on DVD has just reconfirmed it all the more - the colors, the darkness, the comedy, the horror, the heartstopping (pun-intended) violence.... "Last Crusade" was great because of its laugh-out-loud moments, but the action sequences were surprisingly dull and it wasn't much fun watching Indy run around in the desert again...although the Venice sequence and the finale in the Temple of the Grail was great.

Oh AND of course this was the first time I'd ever watched it in widescreen which REALLY topped the whole experience. Best weekend I've had in a VERY long time that was.

"Hey Dacta Jonz! No time faw laaav!"

5. JediMasterKendo

Jun 2, 2000
    while I do still love the Indiana Jones trilogy here are some things that I still can't stand

Raiders of the Lost Ark
    when Indy and that German guy are fighting inside that truck someone falls ontop of the hood and stares at them with a shocked look in that person's face and falls off the truck. Then Indy and the soldier stare at each other or maybe that was in last Crusade also

Last Crusade
    when the german soldier in the plane is on fire in the tunnel and staresd at Indy and his father. Yeah its funny a few times but it gets boring watching that scene over and over

6. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I watch them both all the time.

7. BannableOffense

BannableOffense Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2007
    Not so much Temple of Doom, but Last Crusade and Raiders all the time.

8. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    I watch Temple of Doom about once or maybe twice a year. I watch Crusade probably once a yearish.

9. Lavaman

Lavaman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2003
    I just watched Temple Of Doom over the weekend.:cool: The mine car chase, and bridge scene, are still amongst the best action sequences ever filmed. I don't get why some Indy fans hate Temple Of Doom?

10. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I may watch the Last Crusade tonight. I've watched Raiders and Doom within the last couple of months so I've got an itch to finish off the trilogy.

11. I_Heart_Han_Solo

I_Heart_Han_Solo Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 21, 2005
    For me, Last Crusade is one of those movies where I don't care how many times I've seen it, or how recently I've seen it, if I turn on the tv and it's on, I just feel compelled to watch, even though the DVD sits comfortably on the shelf next to the tv. I even put up with commercials mind you!

Here in the States, it seems the USA Network tends to play the Indy films a lot...although not recently. [face_thinking]

LC holds a special place in my heart...It was the first Indy film I saw! I love the humor, especially the whole "Austrian/German goodbyes" scene, not to mention that both father and son pulled double DOODY! [face_laugh] Get it??

Just think, how would we have ever known that Dr. Elsa Schneider talks in her sleep if it hadn't been for Henry Jones, Sr.?

"Heart"

12. BuffAnakin

BuffAnakin Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2003

Here in the States, it seems the USA Network tends to play the Indy films a lot...although not recently.

that will change near the Indy IV release date, you watch and see!!!

13. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    You've just made "doody" sound hawt. :p I love the Austrain goodbye as well, especially that little bit of saliva that lingers between Elsa and Indy as she pulls away from his lips. =P~ Every guy knows exactly what I'm talking about. That's one of the hottest kisses I've ever seen in a movie.

14. JediMasterKendo

Jun 2, 2000
    Anyone notice that Mola Rom/Ram decked out with that skull head dress thing could pass for a Sith? Same for the Thuggee cult members

15. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    Generic bad guys rule :p

16. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    "Kali Ma Shakti De." = "Know the power of the darkside Indy."

17. I_Heart_Han_Solo

Aug 21, 2005
    Definitely!

That scene just rocks. The expression on Indy/Harrison Ford's face is just priceless. No wonder the floor later caught fire...That room was smokin' already.

"Heart"

18. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    But poor Sean Connery. "Yes, it was rather wonderful." and Indy turning around with that "What the hell are you talking about?" look on his face. [face_laugh]

Blooper alert. The lighter that Henry gets out of Indy's pocket belongs to Elsa. She gave it to Indy to light a torch in the Venice catacombs. However when she is leaving Brunwald Castle she is seen lighting a cigarette with her lighter.

19. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I watch the originals pretty often - can't seem to get enough of them. :)

20. JediMasterKendo

Jun 2, 2000
    well since I still have the old VHS tapes of Temple of Doom and Last Crusade lying around on the floor I might as well put them in the VCR and watch them for old times sake. Was Last Crusade like River Pheonix's last performance before he died?

21. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    No, he made quite a few more films after The Last Crusade including My Own Private Idaho, Sneakers, and The Thing Called Love.

22. Darth_Sidious-

Darth_Sidious- Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 14, 2005
    I just recently bought the DVDs. The set includes 4 discs, at a price of $40 so that's really not bad, 10 bucks a disc.

23. bluesaber70

bluesaber70 Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2007
    I watch them all. "The last crusade" is my favorite.

24. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    Agreed. I do love them all, though. The adventure, humor, and characters make it such a great trilogy.

25. I_Heart_Han_Solo

Aug 21, 2005
    Maybe she had a spare? Or, more than likely, a big ole' blooper!

Speaking of bloopers, how about the small sparks of flame that fall from the torch in the catacomb and cause NOTHING to happen? You know...as Indy and Elsa are making their way through the rats, there are several frames showing the sparks hitting the petroleum...Then, a SINGLE match lights up the whole tunnel like the Towering Inferno!!

"Heart"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.