main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and the Last Crusade. Anyone still watch them?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by JediMasterKendo, May 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002

I've noticed that one too. [face_laugh]

2. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    One thing that has always amazed me is how little discussion there is of the similarities
    between Temple of Doom and the classic action film GUNGA DIN. It features the heroes viewing a meeting of the Thuggee cult! Given what "classic film buffs" Spielberg and Lucas both are,
    you can bet they were enjoying film fantasies/an homage to this great film of the past.

Directed in 1939 by George Stevens, the screenplay by Ben Hect is based on Rudyard Kipling's classic tale.

Now...listen to the IMDB description of Gunga Din's story:

In 19th century India, three British soldiers and a native waterbearer must stop a secret mass revival of the murderous Thuggee cult before it can rampage across the land.

Sound familiar? :D

Watch Gunga Din some time and see what you think. I think it was a huge inspiration
    for Temple of Doom. It's very Indiana at times. There's even a whipping/torture scene JUST like in Doom. And one of the heroes has a fear of being thrown into a pit of snakes. And there's a bridge at the end that...well, geez, there's a lot of stuff in there that Steven and George modified and amplified for their film. In my opinion.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Doom is still a great film in it's own right.

3. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    TheRaider.net has an extensive article on the connections between Gunga Din and the Temple of Doom.

Gunga Doom

4. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Cool, thanks.

Gunga Din just ran on Turner Classic Movies tonight,
    which is why it was on my mind. As the article at
    TheRaider.net points out, the similarities between the
    two films are "glaring."

5. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    I really like the idea of Temple of Doom being an unofficial sequel to Gunga Din. I haven't seen it myself but want too.

6. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

I really like the idea of Temple of Doom being an unofficial sequel to Gunga Din.

Yes, it seems to have been deliberately written that way. :)

7. bluesaber70

bluesaber70 Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2007
    I just watched "Last Crusade" not long ago. It's still my personal favorite.

8. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

i'm gonna check out Gunga Din, I was not aware of that influence on Temple of Doom

9. CaptSparrow

CaptSparrow Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2006
    Just watched Raiders last night. I haven't seen the Temple of Doom, and have absolutely no intention of doing so.

Last Crusade is my favorite, because it is the most adventuresome and funny, at appropriate times. Hope IV is as good as Raiders and Crusade.

10. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

I haven't seen the Temple of Doom, and have absolutely no intention of doing so.

I have the same feeling about Weird Al.

11. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Oh come on now, Temple of Doom is no where near as bad as some people make it out to be. It's actually an extremely enjoyable film.

12. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I always thought it was odd that Doom is considered the 'darkest' of the Indy movies, because when I was growing up it was always the most approachable of the three.

I personally consider Temple of Doom to be the most lighthearted Indy movie. Sure it's gruesome, but for the most part it's an exaggerated kind of gruesome. Chilled monkey brains and the like.

13. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    Someone getting their heart ripped out isn't very lighthearted.

14. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    But it's not really any worse than faces melting off and then exploding. Or a trail of decapitated heads followed by a freshly decapitated head rolling along the ground.

15. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    People like Crusade for it's humor. I wasn't aware Indiana Jones was meant to be a comic buddy-movie. Doom is more intense and generally better made. It's just more fun than Crusade, which drags through it's second half. And some of it's first.

16. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I like Crusade the best, because Sean Connery is just plain awesome.

17. I_Heart_Han_Solo

I_Heart_Han_Solo Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 21, 2005
    I agree with you! Connery really added magic to LC!

Indy:
    How did you know she was a Nazi?

Henry, Sr.: Hmmm?

Indy: How DID YOU KNOW SHE WAS A NAZI?

Henry, Sr.: She talks in her sleep.

[face_laugh]

"Heart"

18. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    "I liked the Austrian way better."

"So did I."

Pure comic gold. [face_laugh]

19. I_Heart_Han_Solo

I_Heart_Han_Solo Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 21, 2005
    The "Austrian/German goodbye" is probably my favorite scene in the movie! Hilarious.

20. Darth_Sidious-

Darth_Sidious- Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 14, 2005
    I always watch the first two, but I find myself not liking the 3rd much. Seems like a rehash and replay of Raiders, just with Indy's father. In fact, Connery is the only reason I pop this in the DVD player. The sets didn't look that good, the fight scenes were boring(I did not like the tank scene), and the finale with the Knight was just bad.

21. JediMasterKendo

JediMasterKendo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2000
    I was surprised to learn that Pat Roach was that Gestapo soldier at the castle. man he looked different without that beard of his

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.