main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indiana Jones IV- A great movie, or a total disaster?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by The_Wampa, Oct 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkOmegazer0

darkOmegazer0 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    I don't want this turning into the mummy, cause that would suck.

2. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Well ILM wouldn't bring Denholm's Broody as a CG human. It'll probably be explained briefly in dialogue.

As far as Young Indy, well we'll never know since the series ended so soon how Indy became what he was. I liked the series quite a bit and had a lot of fun, much akin to what was in the movies. How did he became a "homicidal mercenary"? Maybe postwar stress disorder? "Womanizer"? Maybe self defense mechanism after loosing his first true love. And he was a bit womaizer then, Mata Hari, etc.

Anyway I have confidence in this movie between Spielberg and Darabont.

3. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Upping to free thread from the autolocker

Rick McCallum loves you!

4. jwebb1970

jwebb1970 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2005
    How to make INDY IV work (my own ideas, mind you):

1. Must take place in the early-mid 1950's to explain Dr. Jones' obviously advanced age.

2. Instead of Nazis, we have time-period relevant baddies. 1950's would mean commies!

3. If the above bad guy element is used, why not have a Rasputin-style character (supernatural and Soviet!) as the main villain. Have him on a quest for some supernatural object that will give him (and the commies) an edge toward world domination.

4. Explain why Dr. Jones has been absent in the world-saving business since Last Crusade.

5. Bring back Marion!

6. Connery in a cameo appearance (maybe on his deathbed urging his son to save the world one last time).

I have faith in Lucas, Speilberg & Ford to make INDY IV a great movie regardless of the storyline.

5. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    I still believe the best move the movie should setup is Indy's son. At least that way, there's the possibility of continuing the franchise after Ford.

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Please, no. Speilberg & kids. Ugh.

There's always revisiting "Young Indiana Jones"' if the series needs somewhere to continue.

7. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Now there's a great idea.

8. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Think about it. Have Indy's child born or 'hinted' upon at the end of this movie. The next movie/tv series would then be about Indy Jr., say teen age.

Besides, how many more adventures can the Young Indiana Jones series have?

9. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Well probably more. I'm sure Lucas had plans for Young Indy to run for a lot more (3 years for syndication, 5 years for a good run) so there were probably a lot more stories to be told (and the young adult novels certainly had some market).

10. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    So there's a chance, then, that the success of this movie could determine a return for the series aswell, if at all?

11. jwebb1970

Aug 18, 2005
    Really? You think?

12. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    The series has no chance right now of ever coming back even if Indy 4 is highly successful.

13. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Really? Why's that?

14. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Get on the ball with it.

15. jwebb1970

Aug 18, 2005
    AICN.com and MTV.com are both running stories today that quote GL as saying INDY IV will be ready to release in 2007 (summer, I would guess). Apparently, there is still script tinkering going on but all involved are very close to a firm start date. Seems like a short amount of time do get this film done (being 2006, and all) but I would guess that the basic plot and preproduction designs have already been worked out. ROTLA didn't take a lot of time to shoot, either and the INDY films don't require the type of post-production work that SW did.

We'll wait and see...

16. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    Lucas keeps saying the script is near completion but it never seems to reach that point.
    I think that FOrd's recent "set a Deadline to start filming"statement is in reaction for this.
    I wonder if Lucas would have been wiser to have kept quiet about it in public until the script was done. He seems to have gone back and forth on the status of the script for some time...and both Ford and Speilberg have other projects they want to do and might not want to wait around forever.

17. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Really? Why's that?

Many reasons. Or at least not on network TV. It might work on a specialty channel (A&E, Lifetime, etc.) but then again I would think Lucas would only want to do ot for TV networks. Young Indy never had great ratings and it's now far removed from the last film (1989, the series came 1992). I know there's a huge following, before anyone starts arguing that, but that may not translate into ratings. How many teens/young adults, the targeted demographics, are gonna sit through an historical drama, seeing what the current viewing habits are, and some might not even know much who Indiana Jones is? There's just too many things stacked against it.

18. howardgarbo

howardgarbo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2005
    I wonder if Indy 4 is really just a bad joke started by Uncle George to tease fans?

I mean really it's been 6-7 years and no real progress has been made.

19. dudalb

Jun 14, 2001
    The problem I have is Lucas making a statement that the film is in the final stages before filming begins, then a few months later saying not quite there yet, and repeat ad infinitum.
    It's time to either fish or cut bait on this.

20. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Or, option 3, just wait patiently until it's out. Next year. 2008. 2023. Whatever...

Good things take time. I'd prefer they get everything "just right" rather than make a film deficient in one or more areas, no matter how long it takes or how often someones out-of-context quotes on AICN seems to contradict earlier out-of-context statements.

21. lordstarscream

lordstarscream Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 17, 2006
    indy IV will be a great movie..if they ever get it made that is..

22. dudalb

Jun 14, 2001
    "Or, option 3, just wait patiently until it's out. Next year. 2008. 2023. Whatever... "

Fine, but then don't make public statement's that make people think that filming is going to begin a few months..and Lucas has been doing that.
    I am not a Lucas hater, but I don't think he is incapable of error either.
    I don't have a problem with Lucas taking his time, just don't give the impression that filming is about to begin.

23. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    If Spielberg, Lcuas, and Ford are working on this movie, no, this will no be a disaster.

24. JSTAR71

JSTAR71 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    Its too much of a great thing.All hollywood can do now adays is redo old movies and make sequels.I would be much happier to see Lucas put out a fresh idea instead of cashing in on old heroes.Also Harrison Ford seems to be the most disgruntled man in movies now.Sabrina really took its toll.

25. howardgarbo

howardgarbo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2005
    I just feel Indy 4 is unnecessary.

Last Crusade was constructed to be the final Indy flick. They started the film with the origins of Indy and then ended with him, Henry Sr., Marcus and Sallah riding off into the sunset. I've always saw it as going out on a high note with a sense of closure.

Another is that Mr. Pat Roach (who played the various, giant henchman who battle Indy) is sadly no longer with us and won't be around to beat on Ford.

I love the Indy trilogy and Harrison Ford, but it's been way too long. I'd rather see all the parties involved try something new for a change. Why not Lucas start a new series of new characters where Harrison Ford is a villan? I'd love to see them do different things, rather than revist a franchise that was concluded two decades ago.

But hey, if the film gets made, I'll be first in line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.