Indiana Jones The Official Magazine

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Gobi-1, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/public/default.asp?t=1&m=1&c=34&s=259&ai=66533

Indiana Jones and the Magazine

Anyone who doesn?t live under a rock knows that Harrison Ford is donning the fedora and stubble again this summer in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Indy fans are excitedly bouncing off the walls waiting for the movie, while soaking up every media nook and cranny until then.

Nineteen years has passed since the last film, but our scruffy hero is still working hard. The Last Crusade ended in 1938 near the beginning of World War II and this new Indy flick picks up nineteen years later in 1957. The character, and the actor, has aged but remains vital and ready for adventure, again, as does the actor. Indiana is enjoying a relaxed lifestyle teaching before being sent on a quest to South America. Living legends Steven Spielberg and George Lucas directed and executively produced The Crystal Skull. Starring along with Ford are Academy Award winner Cate Blanchett, returning Indy star Karen Allen, and rising star Shia LaBeouf.

Answering the call for all things Indiana Jones is the new magazine following his adventures: Indiana Jones Magazine. Containing tons of movie news, the magazine covers all the action with Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, interviews with the cast and crew, and much more.

This special commemorative movie edition first issue contains 100 full color pages, for $9.99 and will be in stores on May 22, 2008.

Indiana Jones Magazine issue #1 newsstand cover*
    [image=http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/9301/indymagazine1atf2.jpg]

Exclusive Indiana Jones Magazine issue #1 cover available only through Diamond Comic Distributors*
    [image=http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/479/indymagazine1bnd1.jpg]

*NOT THE FINAL COVERS

I'm subscribing the moment they start taking orders.

/>
  2. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    The official magazine is out. Here's the Indy page at Titan Magazines website:
    http://www.titanmagazines.com/app?service=external/Product&sp=l1335

Here's the cover to Issue #2
    [image=http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/7919/indy2si0.jpg]

And here's the Previews Exclusive Cover to Issue #2
    [image=http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/7459/indy2baa8.jpg]

Issue 2 hits newsstand on June 25th.

I subscribed to the magazine but haven't received my issue yet. [face_plain] Even thought it's on the newsstands now. :mad:
  3. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I found issue #1 at a local book/magazine store here in the UK today. I picked it up thinking it was a one-shot. Haven't read it yet but it looks pretty good.
  4. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Didn't get my issue in the mail today. Titan Magazine is bad about getting their magazines on the newsstands before they get them to their subscribers.
  5. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I've seen that with Insider. I subscribe and I sometimes see the new issue on the newsstand a day or two before I get my copy in the post.
  6. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm very interested in this but have held back due to the rather high subscription cost- $32.95 here in the States. Anyone know of a promotional code that might lower this a bit?
  7. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Does the US have the same deal as the UK? Here if you subscribe now you get the book The Lost Journal of Indiana Jones as a free gift.

I put my subscription in after taking a quick look at the mag. It will start with issue 2 in July-ish.
  8. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    I can't find any reference to that deal here in the US. I'd get it right away if that book were included. Looks like six issues for $33. Ouch.

However, I did take a look at the premier issue and it looked impressive.
  9. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I still haven't received my issue. I may have to buy a copy.
  10. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Got my free Indiana Jones Journal in the post today.
  11. Princess_Tina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Anything cool in it? :D
  12. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I've only flipped through it but it looks pretty neat. Think of a diary with letters, drawings, photos and clippings from newspapers - that's this. Just as an example (and this made me laugh) on one page there's an ad for Wizard refrigerators with 'Gotta get one of these. Looks pretty durable' handwritten next to it. On the opposite page is a picture of a fake house used in A-bomb testing with some notations on the effects of the bomb based on the distance from the blast.
    On another page there's a pic of Mutt on his bike with 'Met juvenile delinquent. What's wrong with kids these days?' written next to it.
    All of the films are well-represented. It's a nice volume. In the UK it's retailing for £14.99 so getting it free is even nicer!
  13. Princess_Tina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I think I've seen it here in the U.S. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's one with a suggested retail price of about $25 USD, but with discounts you can get it for less than $20. ;)
  14. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Apparently my order online never did go through so I ended up buying the first two issue off the newstand. I think the magazine so far has been fantastic and at the moment superior to it's sister publication Star Wars Insider. I would like to see them however devoted sections to the new comics and collectables.
  15. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    They might in future issues. With the film currently out it makes sense to concentrate on that for now.
  16. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    True. The second issue does have an article on the Marvel comic series so I'm hoping issue three turns to Dark Horse and the current comic series.
  17. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Hmm...haven't seen this on newsstands around here yet. I didn't get a chance to check any of the bookstores lately, so maybe they're located there, but I would be interested in picking these up just for the images. I'm always looking for reference material and unfortunately, there's not a wide range of images available for KotCS yet. There does seem to be a lot of great shots in this magazine, though.
  18. Princess_Tina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    So the magazine is supposed to continue indefinitely? That's good news. :D
  19. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Yes there are many great photos in the magazine. Including the older films as well.
  20. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Lucasfilm featured heavily in my mail today. Postman brought the July/August SW Insider and issue 2 of the Indy magazine. There's a big ad in the middle of the UK magazine for Indy stand-ups. Four are offered - 1 of Mutt on his motorcycle, one of KOTCS Indy standing, one of him crouching, and one of him from the first film (at least I think it is). The company is US-based and the website is here.
  21. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Unlocking this and upping it for some news. I got a letter from Titan Publishing Group here in the UK today that the magazine will cease publishing with Issue #6 (April/May) which will come out March 5. As a subscriber I get a choice of magazines to complete my subscriptiom (1 issue in my case). The choice includes SW Insider (which I already get) and the UK SW Comic magazine. I'll probably go for the latter since I normally just pick it up if I see it and it looks good.

I'm not sure if the US version of the magazine will be affected as well.

LAJ edit - fixed the issue #. Also the story made TFn - here.
  22. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Hmm...interesting.

I saw this on the main page earlier and I can't say I'm surprised. It seems that all things Indy really took a nosedive after the summer hype. Hasbro canceled the action figure line and now news of the magazine no longer being published. Although, I never saw it as a long lasting publication anyway. After delving into the three originals and KOTCS, what would they cover if nothing new is being released?
  23. GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Master

star 4
    I heard Hasbro was going out of business?
  24. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I haven't heard anything in that area. I did a quick Google news search and didn't turn anything up. Where did you hear that?
  25. Sabreman Force Ghost

star 2
    That's true. After covering the four films, and a few comics and books, they wouldn't really have any Indy material left to cover.

I think Titan have cancelled the UK Indy comic too. If you click the subscribe button on the Indy comic page, you are taken straight to the back issues page.

As far as Hasbro is concerned, it would appear that, far from going out of business, if anything, the company is growing. See this story from a few weeks ago.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.