main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indiana Jones Ultimate Collector's Edition DVD set for the Holidays?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Thena, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    So, how many of you are looking forward to see an Indiana Jones Ultimate Collector's Edition DVD set in time for the Holidays? Hopefully in both conventional DVD *and* Blu-Ray. :D

I hope they can put together a really nice set for the collector's market. One thing I'd love for them to do is to package it in a "wooden crate" box, shaped like the boxes in Hangar 51.

As for the extras, I guess it's not very likely that Spielberg will participate in an audio commentary, but maybe Lucas and some of the other people involved might. Also, it would be great if they would also include the deleted scenes from all 4 movies.

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I really really want a set like this. I don't ever buy collector's editions, but I will make an exception in this case. It's one of the few sets of films I can actually see myself listening to a commentary for.

Also Blu Ray please :)

3. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    To be honest I'm actually very happy with the Indiana Jones DVD box-set that's out for the moment. I don't really see what MORE they could throw in as special features to make it better save digging through archive footage to create extensive, almost fly-on-the-wall documentaries like in LOTR and/or doing recreations of the stunts and spfx (which they have apparently in the new box set coming out).

The special features are only as good as the hurdles faced in bringing a film to life. Indiana Jones - if you believe the publicity - was always a straight-forward movie to make. The only real problems they always seemed to have was either public reception or the script in general.

And Spielberg has gone on record to say that he feels audio commentaries destroy the "magic" of watching a film so I don't think he'd participate. Lucas WOULD be a good commentator if he focused on the writing and producing side like he does in THX and the Star Wars OT DVDs, but I wouldn't buy a whole new box-set just for that.

An "ultimate" box-set would have to be pretty special to make me buy it again. Maybe if they included the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles perhaps?

4. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Well, that's a possibility, too. But it would make the set a lot more expensive.

I think if they just throw in a brand-new audio commentary with Lucas and others (obviously not Spielberg) and the deleted scenes they've never shown, many people might go for it.

5. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001

I don't mind about the money :) I'm hard working man with a manageable income, I only care about content and quality.

6. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Yes, I don't doubt that, but that wasn't my point in mentioning the possible price. It's just that it's harder for them to market when it carries a hefty price tag, so such a set might be perceived as having less commercial prospects than if the movies and the series were released separately.

But, if they did release such a "ultimate" set, I'd just run out and get one. :D

7. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    If this is on Blu-Ray and contains all the previous extras plus a few new ones (deleted scenes and vintage docs--maybe commentaries??) then I'll get excited. But if its just the old disks in a new box with a bigger pricetag then I don't really see anything interesting about it. There are rumors that when Crystal Skull comes out in Novemeber it will be on Blu-Ray and that it will bring with it the original Indy trilogy--let's hope thats true. With the restored Godfather set hitting the format around the same time this could be one of the big breakthrough Blu-Ray seasons and maybe lay the groundwork for work to begin on getting SW out there.

8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I really do think it would be a wonderful chance to release all 4 movies on Blu-Ray. And if it does well, well, who knows, maybe Lucas will start giving some serious thought to giving us Star Wars Ultimate Collector's set on Blu-Ray sometime in 2009.

9. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I would definitely buy it.

10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Considering how long we had to wait for the Star Wars films to be released on DVD, I doubt Lucas will cave and give Indy a Blu-Ray release so soon. Of course, you also have Spielberg in the mix, but it still seems unlikely.

If an ultimate edition is released in time for the holidays, I will definitely be picking it up. ;)

11. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Considering we had to wait seven years for Star Wars to come out on DVD I wouldn't be looking for the Blu-ray debut until the 35th Anniversary in 2012. Indiana Jones on the other had could be different. I'm expecting them sooner then latter. Of course if Lucas and Spielberg do go ahead with Indy 5 withing the next three years I could see them waiting and releasing Indy on Blu-ray to promote the new film.

12. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I think there's been rumors for a while now about a 6-movie SW set, which I think would make sense if they released both conventional DVD as well as BR sets. As for Indiana Jones, I think the franchise really came back full force after almost two decades of being in relative limbo (well not so much if you count the TV series and the videogames) and they could really use the momentum set by the theatrical release of Indy 4.

As always, here's hoping for the best. :D

13. PeteTB

PeteTB Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2002
    just do a 4 film set on blu-ray only! They've gotta do something to force more people to go hi-def.

14. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I think there would be a lot of backlash if the set with the 4 Indy movies were to be available only on Blu-Ray. The day may come when studios stop releasing movies on conventional DVDs, but I think that's still a few years away.

15. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Definitely. Especially with the poor shape the economy's in right now, the prices are way too high. I know it probably won't be a few years till I invest in a Blu-Ray player. I'm quite happy with my DVDs at the moment.

16. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I think a lot of people will put off buying the BR player, unless they happen to have a PS3. You can get very good deals for DVD players with the upconverting feature, and that's a much better value for many folks.

17. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    The problem with Blu-Ray is this: When DVD came out it was expensive, but you could see a clear improvement over VHS on a regular TV. With Blu-Ray, you've got an expensive new player PLUS the fact that you need a whole new (also quite expensive) TV monitor to go with it. Not to mention that most widescreen HDTVs look bad in entertainment centers designed for old-fashioned square TVs.

18. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    That is true, but if you already have an HDTV, especially one with a screen larger than 40', then you really want to take advantage of the improved image, which can't be done with conventional DVDs. So it's either going to be an upconverting DVD player or a BR player.

19. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I've got a 40" 1080i max TV, so for me DVD's are still just fine.

I'm in no hurry to re-purchase all my movies in a new format.

20. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Do you have an upconverting player?

21. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

I don't know how much more highly defined they're going to get the image, but like others, I don't look forward to purchasing new copies of movies.

At some point, I think they're going to insist on laser beaming films right into our consciousness...for a higher price of course...but all the while they'll be telling us we've never seen anything like it. :rolleyes:

22. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Personally I don't see why it's a big deal... it's easy to sell the old DVDs online and then use that money towards upgrading to BR. I mean, it's one thing you could do if you were so inclined -- or you can just decide you're happy with the conventional DVDs.

23. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I use my 360 to upscale to 720p. Movies look fantastic, especially the Lucasfilms.

Does anyone know when Crystal Skull will be out on DVD?

24. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Hopefully, in time for the Holidays.... right before Thanksgiving would be sweet -- or even a couple of weeks before Christmas. :D

25. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I would actually say sooner. I would say late September/early October if we were to go by the release of the SW films on DVD. They were in theaters the same time as KotCS and were released around that time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.