main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indiana Jones Ultimate Collector's Edition DVD set for the Holidays?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Thena, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Hey, if they do that, no complaints here. [face_mischief]

2. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

It is just a rumour at this point, but thedigitalbits.com usually gets these things right.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#070908
    All right, our industry sources have once again checked in with word on a few upcoming DVD titles. First, we're now hearing that Paramount's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is set for DVD release on 10/14... but it's still not confirmed whether or not a Blu-ray version is coming (although a few international retailers have started taking pre-orders for one).

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I saw that as well over at the Raven. From what I could gather, the report came from the European division of Amazon.com. So, that could mean some good news for us folks in the States about the release. It may be even earlier than the October date. Here's hoping!

4. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I'm going to be a bit more excited if they confirm that it's also coming out in Blu-Ray. This is one of the big factors in considering exactly when I'll be buying my BR player.

5. the_immolated_one

the_immolated_one Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2006
    Do you have a 1080p TV?

I have a 720p plasma and I'm on the fence about bluray because my upconvert DVD player, with a HDMI hook-up, has really breathed new life into my DVD collection. I know when I get a true 720p HD signal from my cable provider I can see the difference but that little bit of difference just isn't enough to make me buy a bluray player. Not unless they're under 200 bucks. And the prices of those bluray discs. Forget about it. I'm still happy to watch old 1.37:1 movies on my old 1.33:1 analog projection TV that just has an S-video connection. Just watched "Moby Dick" the other night and could have cared less about HD.

6. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Well, the only real factor holding me back right now is the lack of some classic titles on BR; I mean both recent classics as well as older classics. The recent ones, of course, would include stuff like the SW saga and the BTTF trilogy, just to name a couple.

One thing that truly puzzles me is how many people complain about the cost of Blu-Ray discs. I mean, you are forgetting that if you have Netflix, you can get BR instead of conventional DVDs for the exact same price? I'm not planning on buying any BR titles as long as I can simply rent them.

7. the_immolated_one

the_immolated_one Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2006
    But I only paid 100 bucks for my latest DVD player which delivers a very good picture and sound compared to a 400 buck bluray player. Like I said it's not really the price. It's the fact that bluray is just evolution not revolution. The difference between VHS and DVD was major but the difference between a good upconvert DVD player and a true 720p HD signal just isn't spetacaular enough for me to shell out over 400 bucks. Yeah, I have Netflix but I will buy movies if I like them. Now I have never watched anything in 1080p because I only have a 720p TV so I would have to buy a 1080p TV to even get the full quality of a bluray player anyway. Sure you can go to an electronics store and they'll have a side by side comparision between 1080p Bluray and an upconvert DVD player and, of course, Bluray looks so much better but what I have noticed is they'll have an upconvert DVD player hooked up to a TV with composite cables and of course the bluray is hooked up with an HDMI cable so it's a sham. If bluray is able to take over the market from DVD then in about 5 years bluray players will cost 100 bucks and I'll buy one then. When I show people "Revenge of the Sith" on my upconvert DVD player they are always impressed because that DVD is a very good quality DVD and when DVDs are made well they rock almost as much as true 720p.

8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001

You don't have to justify your priorities to anyone, immolated one. Your priorities are not my priorities, and I definitely don't expect my priorities to be your priorities. :)

9. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Wanna see some really cool Indy DVDs? Head over to amazon.de (that's the German version of amazon.com) and do a search for "Indiana Jones".

They have the original trilogy in a cool steelcase edition, and the upcoming KOTCS is available in a special collector's edition that comes with a miniature crystal skull. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.