main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Individuality: All Together Now. Qui, Obi, the gang. Nommed "Best Humor" & Best Author - Thanks!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Valairy Scot, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Title: Individuality: All Together Now
    Author Valairy_Scot
    Timeframe: JA
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Mace, Yoda
    Genre: Humor, M*A*S*H challenge
    Keywords: Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Mace, Yoda, Humor
    Summary: Obi-Wan asserts his individuality. Mace is not pleased.
    Notes: M*A*S*H challenge

The quote:

Burns: That man is not normal!
    Hawkeye: What's normal, Frank?
    Burns: Normal is everybody doing the same thing.
    Trapper: What about individuality?
    Burns: Well, individuality is fine- as long as we all do it together.

[image=http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/earlybird-obi-wan/forcenetart/rebel.jpg]

Picture credit: Earlybird-Obi-Wan

Individuality: All Together Now

Visions of an apoplectic Mace danced through the Jedi master?s head, bringing a slight smile to the craggy face.

It would be a first; the man?s ire directed not at him, but another. A flash of sympathy for his apprentice was quickly banished; if Obi-Wan wished to rebel, however slightly, he must be prepared to face the music ? or the infamous scowl, in this case.

He was strong enough to remain unscathed, even if the boy did not yet know it.

So Qui-Gon Jinn stood with arms crossed, staring out the window of the Jedi Council?s antechamber. Beside him, his young padawan stood, waiting for the dreaded summons to ?enter and be judged,? or so the master assumed ? Obi-Wan Kenobi had shown a decided flair for the dramatic lately. In fact, that was why they were here now.

It was rather refreshing, if distressing to the padawan, to be here because of Obi-Wan?s recent dive into the unorthodox ? a development that had pleased his master greatly and had displeased Master Windu equally as greatly.

Mace Windu was a very orthodox Jedi. Qui-Gon Jinn was not.

Now the quite proper and orthodox padawan had suddenly veered into unorthodoxy and Mace Windu was personally going to see to it that it would not happen again. He often and loudly complained over a sociable drink that dealing with Qui-Gon Jinn had taken whatever hair he had once and his sanity was the next thing he feared to lose.

Friends or not, Mace Windu was not going to allow Qui-Gon Jinn to corrupt the apprentice; he planned to put a stop to the boy?s rather minor and quite harmless descent into dreaded ?individuality? by coming down fast and coming down hard on the boy ? and Qui-Gon knew it.

That wasn?t going to happen, not if Qui-Gon Jinn had any thing to say about it ? and he usually did. This time he would not; he would let his actions speak on his behalf as he stood by the boy.

Obi-Wan was too well trained to fidget, but the master was well aware of the padawan?s slight defiance and greater apprehension by the stiff and upright posture he had adopted as a cover. No padawan liked to be called in front of the Council, especially when under a threat of reprimand.

Sensing something of his master?s thoughts and misreading them entirely, he offered a meek, ?I?m sorry, Master,? that was quite in contrast to the firm line of his lips.

The older Jedi did not turn around, but remained with arms folded and eyes closed. ?You have apologized already, Padawan, and I have already told you that you have nothing to apologize for.?

?Master Windu is not happy.?

A snort greeted that pronouncement. ?Master Windu is never happy, Padawan, or at least he would like us to believe that.? With a swift movement, Qui-Gon turned and dropped a hand on the padawan?s shoulder. ?It is unusual, I will admit, but Master Yoda, at least, quite understands the range of expression allowable in a Jedi?s life and frequently exceeds them as he deems fit. He will support you and thus the Council will support us as well.?

?Us, Master??

?What my padawan does; I do. It is only fair I stand with you as you have so often stood with me, your loyalty has always exceeded your embarrassment at my conduct.? As Obi-Wan colored, Qui-Gon finally chuckled. ?Just as my loyalty to you exceeds my embarrassmen

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Super response to the roulette!!! Great and fun use of the quote. :)

3. MiralukaJedi

MiralukaJedi Jedi Knight star 4

May 15, 2008
    Wow! For some reason, I thought of clones when I saw this one. Jedi are certainly a bit of an inspired choice here I think. Well done!

4. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Very funny, and I was trying to imagine what they looked like with
    Green and blue hair.8-}
    Perhaps earlybird may paint a picture of them.o_O

Well done.[face_laugh] =D=

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Indeed[face_laugh][face_laugh] this was fun to read and a good laugh.

And showing the great friendship between Qui, Obi and Yoda

Great funny story=D==D=

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    This was absolutely PERFECT! Your characterizations were spot on! :D

It would be a first; the man?s ire directed not at him, but another. A flash of sympathy for his apprentice was quickly banished; if Obi-Wan wished to rebel, however slightly, he must be prepared to face the music ? or the infamous scowl, in this case.

He was strong enough to remain unscathed, even if the boy did not yet know it.

So Qui-Gon Jinn stood with arms crossed, staring out the window of the Jedi Council?s antechamber. Beside him, his young padawan stood, waiting for the dreaded summons to ?enter and be judged,? or so the master assumed ? Obi-Wan Kenobi had shown a decided flair for the dramatic lately. In fact, that was why they were here now.

It was rather refreshing, if distressing to the padawan, to be here because of Obi-Wan?s recent dive into the unorthodox ? a development that had pleased his master greatly and had displeased Master Windu equally as greatly.

And I've always been a great believer in letting kids express themselves in benign ways. Hair is certainly something that can be "undone" later if it no longer express what someone wants to express!

Loved it! =D=

7. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Oh, I love how Obi-Wan has decided to show he's more than a 'perfect padawan', but a person too. And Mace's reaction and Qui-Gon and Yoda's amusement.

Heh, and especially Qui-Gon's solidarity going all the way and that Obi-Wan didn't know he'd do that. I had great fun picturing them :D

Wonderfully written and a great use of the quote =D= =D= =D=

8. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Awww, that was great! I love how you've characterized Qui-Gon especially.

And this was just perfect:

Now the quite proper and orthodox padawan had suddenly veered into unorthodoxy and Mace Windu was personally going to see to it that it would not happen again. He often and loudly complained over a sociable drink that dealing with Qui-Gon Jinn had taken whatever hair he had once and his sanity was the next thing he feared to lose.

This is a good assessment of Mace, I think. He was definitely a rule follower in the films, and he has a soft spot for Obi-Wan in both profic and fanfic (like your latest ;) ) so I can definitely see him being afraid that Qui-Gon would corrupt him. :p It was so funny to find out that Obi-Wan's big rebellion was to die his hair----and that Qui-Gon supported his doing so. [face_laugh] Of course, Obi-Wan could totally pull it off. The last line was great, too. =D= You've just churned these fics out like nothing! Great work!

9. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    =D=
    Good Work!
    Very funny![face_laugh] :D

10. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    [face_laugh] :D Wonderful, Valairy! I wish I had gotten in on this dare. A laugh is always welcome and your story fit the bill exactly. Mace doesn't come off as stupid as Frank Burns. At least he, in the end, saw the humor of the situation and joined in. Yoda's parting line was the perfect ending. Congrats once again on a great story.

11. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    LOL! That was hysterical, and quite plausible, too, I would think. I could definitely see Qui-Gon encouraging his apprentice to be an individual and teens do have the strangest ideas sometimes on how to do that. :p But at least it was just hair coloring and not something worse. :p Mace should be grateful. :p

Nice job!

12. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Jade_eyes Glad you enjoyed it - thanks for reading.

MiralukaJedi
    : Wow! For some reason, I thought of clones when I saw this one. Jedi are certainly a bit of an inspired choice here I think.
    Strange, I never really thought of clones, but which of our "Cast of Characters" were most like the "M*A*S*H characters."

Gkilkenny: Very funny, and I was trying to imagine what they looked like with Green and blue hair. And you inspired earltybird-obi-wan!

Earlybird-Obi-Wan: this was fun to read and a good laugh. Fun to write, too ? and thanks for the picture! [face_dancing]

VaderLVR64: And I've always been a great believer in letting kids express themselves in benign ways. Hair is certainly something that can be "undone" later if it no longer express what someone wants to express! Which is why dying his hair is both rebellious and not really defiance.

Seremela: love how Obi-Wan has decided to show he's more than a 'perfect padawan', but a person too. Even Obi was a teenager - he couldn't be perfect, could he?

LuvEwan: You've just churned these fics out like nothing! Great work! [face_talk_hand] When the muse kicks in, it kicks in.:D

Darthhelinith: Thanks for so much for reading and enjoying.

P_stotts: least he, in the end, saw the humor of the situation and joined in. Yoda's parting line was the perfect ending. Thanks, it took a bit of casting about to come up with that one and when I did, I finally had Obi's bit of rebellion was throwing me for a loop (I wasn't a rebellious teenager - makes it hard to come up with ideas [face_batting] )

Jiingerbread: That was hysterical, and quite plausible, too, I would think. I could definitely see Qui-Gon encouraging his apprentice to be an individual and teens do have the strangest ideas sometimes on how to do that. I could SO see Qui encouraging that in Obi, all right.

13. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    That Was Amazing!

I loved Yoda's last comment!

Mace was probably jealous. lol

14. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Raphire: Thank you, this was fun to write and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

To all - thanks so much for the nomination for Best Humor. Thank you.

15. Lileia

Lileia Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2008
    PERFECT. Perfect Padawan and Perfect Master. :D

Thank you, I had a great time reading the fic!

16. QueenArdnassak

QueenArdnassak Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 30, 2009
    This is hilarious! Not only did Obi-Wan have green hair, but Qui-Gon's was BLUE!

?Yes, it rather complements his coloring. I had suggested blue, but my padawan has a better eye than I. Green is definitely a better color on him.?

[face_laugh]=D=[face_laugh]=D=[face_laugh]=D=[face_laugh]=D=

17. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Green is a difficult hair colour to pull off, perhaps the most difficult of all the unnatural colours. I think the Council should have been impressed that he managed to make it happen at all. :p

In all seriousness, excellent piece! Great use of the quote. I had a good laugh through the whole thing. :D

18. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Lileia: Perfect? [face_blush] Thank you.

QueenArdnassak: Yup, blue AND green, two of my favorite colors. Blue is #1, but Obi-Wan' coloring probably would be best paired with green, so he got the green hair.

Commander-DWH: Never having dyed my hair anything except it's natural color, I had no idea. Trying to write a story that fits a quotation, especially with multiple lines, is HARD - until one muses finally decides to drop in & drop an idea. [face_laugh]

19. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    I just read this from your excerpt listed for the fanfic awards. I loved it! Hilarious.

Especially Yoda's approval of Obi-Wan's green hair. That was a nice touch. :)

20. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Ubersue: I loved it! Hilarious. Especially Yoda's approval of Obi-Wan's green hair. That was a nice touch.

Thank you - I had fun writing it - and picturing it, as well. I would think Yoda would pretty much approve of anything that was harmless and fun.

21. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Thanks all! [:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.