Indy 4 script discarded by Lucas...rewrite necessary.

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by EG-88, Feb 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EG-88 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Original source is "Variety" but I saw it on "Cinescape."

Bad news on Indy 4 Script

...Article is on the right hand column under "Feb 5th News"

This sucks...
  2. Wampas_Have_Dandruff Force Ghost

star 2
    Back to development hell. Honestly, it's getting very hard to imagine that this is ever going to get done. I'll believe it when I see a trailer and not a moment before. I'm also not totally convinced it's necessary. The Indy films already have a fine ending.
  3. EG-88 Jedi Knight

star 1
    A possible reason for the rewrite?

A subplot might be the problem (bottom paragraph)

Maybe too much focus on Indy's never-before-mentioned brother? (Rumored to be Kevin Costner)

4. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Hmm. I'm not a huge fan of the Indy IV idea, but I'd sort of settled with it going ahead. And now... I don't like the idea of an as yet unmentioned brother. Aside from it being unlikely he wouldn't already have been mentioned, might he end up being a younger brother whom Indy can watch doing everything he used to do? A film full of Harrison Ford reacton shots. I don't like that. I don't want the film to be 'The Younger Brother of Indiana Jones & Indiana Jones.' Maybe it's unavoidable? Maybe this will put the stoppers on the whole thing? Maybe, maybe not, but bringing back such a huge 'real-world' franchise after such a long time (therefore having to apply the intervening time since Crusade to the story) without changing it beyond all acceptible recognition is obviously a hard task.

It sounds like this might not be Indiana Jones, but 'Old Indiana Jones'.

:(
  5. DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    "Well, this can't be good news for Paramount studio executives: Frank Darabont's script for INDIANA JONES 4 has been discarded by producer George Lucas, throwing the entire project back to square one. According to today's Variety, Lucas didn't like Darabont's screenplay even though both Lucas, Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford had all signed off on Darabont's take more than a year ago. What specific reasons caused Lucas to turn a cold shoulder to Darabont's draft remain unknown.

This has now complicated the project so that it is extremely unlikely that the movie would be finished for a summer 2005 release date, as Paramount had hoped for. The earliest that this near-glacial project could now hope to start filming would be sometime in 2005 and released to theaters in 2006. That's not taking into account how the work scheduled of Ford or Spielberg may turn out to be twelve to eighteen months from now.

If INDIANA JONES 4 does roll before camera in 2005, Ford will be 65 years old. And if there are any more delays after this setback, the new INDY storyline may have to be set in the 1960s!"

I'm glad it's not happening. Harrison Ford is WAY TOO OLD now. I don't want to see Indiana Jones as an old fart. The series ended perfectly with the Last Crusade. Why mess it up?
  6. Jar_Jar_the_great Jedi Knight

star 2
    I can't wait for this movie, I think it is great that the three want to do this again. As for Kevin Costner playing Indies brother why not after all you never heard about his dad untill the Last Crusade.
  7. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    I had hope for this when I heard that Darabont was doing the script, but now with this news, I'm starting to doubt again. It took how long just to sign Darabont on to write it. How long will it take now to find someone else?

I hate to admit it, but sadly, I don't think it will happen.
  8. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I won't be upset if it doesn't happen. I don't think Indy 4 is a good idea.
  9. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    In all honesty, I think it would be a cool movie to do. Perhaps pin it as Indy's last adventure? Maybe even have an "apprentice" tag along?

*shrug*

:)
  10. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    I hope the script gets done ASAP, so they can start filming this summer.
  11. Well_Of_Souls Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It does say they're looking for someone to rewrite Darabont's script, so hopefully that doesn't mean a complete scrap of the original.

I really want to see this film get made. The Indy films are the epitome of summer blockbusters.
  12. Darthsuggs Force Ghost

star 4
    Perhaps this is a growing animosity between Darabont and Lucas/Spielgberg. About a week and a half ago Darabont said he was waiting for God to fp ther part. (refering to Lucas/Spielgberg)
  13. Bad_Feeling Force Ghost

star 4
    I sure hope they can get this "rewrite" done quickly, or else 2005 won't quite be THE great year for new movies I was expecting. Oh well, at least we still have Ep.III... :D
  14. Onslaught_Mechlar Jedi Knight

star 1
    Perhaps this is a growing animosity between Darabont and Lucas/Spielgberg.

Don't know anything about that but it must really get under Darabont's skin that the person responsible for The Phantom Menace and Attack of the clones screenplays doesn't like your script.
  15. Leias_love_slave Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Am I reading this right? Doing a rewrite pushes the start date back by A WHOLE YEAR?

I'm starting to get the feeling that Lucas is stalling. Is he just waiting for Ford to die of old age? At one time, years ago, Spielberg discussed 'Indiana Jones' as a possible five movie series.

I am usually a huge supporter of Lucas. I love 'Star Wars' and 'Indy', but this is like teasing you until you don't care anymore.

I'd really like to know why it's going to take another whole year for revisions. This sounds like a case of the more time they have to write it, the more time it's going to take them.

I'm sorry for my negative attitude, but this was lousy news at the end of an already bad day.

16. deltron_zero Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm reserving judgement until I see a direct quote from someone other than "a supposed Paramount insider".
  17. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Hopefully Lucas is going to add Jar-Jar, some Ewoks and a binch of kids living in the jungle like the lost boys from Peter Pan! :)

Indy could be their babysitter! :D
  18. deltron_zero Force Ghost

star 6
    Or better, Indy's brother (Kevin Costner) could be their babysitter, and Indy could be the grumpy old man who sits in his rocking chair all day, eating oatmeal and shouting at them to keep it down.
  19. Flask Jedi Master

star 4
    Don't know anything about that but it must really get under Darabont's skin that the person responsible for The Phantom Menace and Attack of the clones screenplays doesn't like your script.

Especially since Darabont is partially responsible for writing the god-awful Young Indiana Jones series. He doesn't have what you call REAL high standards. ;) If anything, he is good at adaptions (i.e. The Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption).
  20. waheennay Jedi Master

star 4
    I liked Frank's episodes of YIJ as well as Shawkshank Redemption and The Green Mile. The Majestic however is another story! Spielberg's problem recently is that the endings of his movies tend to run a little long at the end. Even Catch Me if You Can, which I loved but thought it seemed to go on for a half more than it should have.
  21. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5

Even if he praised the script for TPM?
  22. EG-88 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Comments from Carl Cunningham over at the CHUD Boards.

"I did some investigating before deciding to comment...

Man, Variety totally got this wrong and blew it out of proportion.

It's not a rewrite, it's a polish (which is standard) and Darabont is the one who'll likely do it (unless he doesn't have the time, in which case Scott Frank would be the man).

Finally, it wasn't Lucas who requested the changes and polish... it was Ford and/or Spielberg. (I'm guessing Ford, since word has it the major tweak is the "toning down" of another character)."

For those that want an Indy 4 this should help ease your stress a bit. It looks like all is not lost...yet. Let's hope Carl is on the mark with his take on the state of things.

23. Darth_Insidious Jedi Master

star 4
    "Even if he praised the script for TPM?"

Darabont has already been caught in a lie once regarding the TPM script. His word on it means nothing if it can't be trusted, which it can't.
  24. rpeugh Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks EG38. My gut told me that this report wasnt entirely true. If anyone was going to dislike the script, I figured it would be either Ford or Spielberg, not Lucas. Especially since Darabont penned the Young Indy series. If I am not mistaken, that series won some type of award. And it just didnt sit right that Darabont would be cut out of the process, espeacially considering that there is evidence that Darabont helped Lucas with the Episode 3 script. It just doesnt seem like something Lucas would do. And it doesnt make sense that they would have to go back to square one. Also, I like the idea of Kevin Costner. He seems like an Indiana JOnes type character, and it seems like him and Ford would have good chemistry. I think it would make sense if he was Indy's half brother (the son of Indy's mother). Didnt Indy's mother leave his dad because his dad was so obsessed with the grail?
  25. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5
    Darabont has already been caught in a lie once regarding the TPM script.

PPOR...thanks.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.