main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 4 script discarded by Lucas...rewrite necessary.

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by EG-88, Feb 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    Didnt Indy's mother leave his dad because his dad was so obsessed with the grail?

No, she died. :(

2. EG-88

EG-88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2003
    More Indy IV speculation from the CHUD boards from Moriarty (AICN) and Carl Cunningham...

"Lucas did indeed dump the script.

Spielberg loves the script. Ford never read it, but liked the general storyline.

It was all Lucas, and he has indeed pulled the plug on this draft.

And Darabont won't be doing any work for Lucas on any projects in the forseeable future. Not even if he begged." Moriarty from AICN.

And a retort from Carl...

"Mori, you are correct. This is all BAD STUFF.

I did some more email back-and-forths yesterday and late last night. GWL put the kebash on it and LF is already spinning it (so much so that even many of their own employees were unaware of what happened, which is why I was misinformed).

That's also why I posted earlier "I think something more is afoot here than ANY of them are letting on".

This film is effectively DEAD. Probably won't happen... ever. And this could be the defining moment that highlights the theory that George Lucas has "lost it". It's not just a kick in the pants to Darabont... it's a kick in the gut to ALL of us.

Save the "but the film would have sucked anyway" mantras. Remember the talent involved. Spielberg is in peak form and we couldn't have asked for a better writer than Darabont. They would have pulled this off. Problem is, it would have been THEIR vision (plot & character first and action second) and Lucas would have been in the shadows. Now, with his rash decision, he has killed one of his franchises stone cold." Carl Cunningham

Lots more from others in this thread at CHUD that claim to be "in the know." Many different takes...some that say that the film is dead in the water and others that think that Lucas may drop out of the picture and let Spielberg take over.

Stay tuned...I'm sure there are many more twists and turns ahead.

3. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Ah yes, the highly neutral and objective Ain't LOTR Cool News...er, Ain't It Cool News, which refers to Lucas as George "Satan" Lucas.

Spielberg is in peak form

BWAhahahahahaha!!! Now THAT is spin.

They would have pulled this off. Problem is, it would have been THEIR vision (plot & character first and action second)

So is that.

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Well, before we all go getting uptight, time will reveal the truth behind all these rumours.

So let's just wait and see what new reports come in over time. Right now there's a lot of speculation and reading between lines of 2nd hand news, and it's not healthy.

5. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    This is getting out of hand, and I'm talking about the rumors.

6. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    This is getting out of hand, and I'm talking about the rumors.

Exactly. I don't know what to think anymore. I guess we just have to sit tight until someone announces something officially.

7. DarthShona

DarthShona Jedi Master star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    I just heard about this at imdb.com and was pretty bummed. :(

8. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Well, just sit tight until official reports start coming in. If it's just a script polish job, there's nothing to worry about.

If it's a total rewrite, it could put the process back by a year or so.

If Lucas, Spielberg & Ford all want to do another Indiana Jones movie, they'll sure as heck make one.

9. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Actually, referring to a few posts above, I would also like to know about Frank Darabont's "lie" about the TPM script. Never heard of that one.

And I rather wait for some info on Variety or The Hollywood Reporter.

10. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    I hope they fix a script to Lucas' liking soon -- I thin Indy IV could be a really good film if done right -- and I'm not writing Harrison Ford off just yet -- Arnold Schwartzenegger held his own in T3, so I'm giving Ford the benefit of the doubt.

The only thing that has me unsettled is the notion of Indy's brother -- that really has me uneasy.

11. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    George Lucas has a nerve complaining about the script when his own Prequel scripts are of poor quality. [face_plain]

12. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000
    George Lucas has a nerve complaining about the script when his own Prequel scripts are of poor quality.

You don't even know what his issues with the script are! Virtually all movie scripts go through numerous re-writes...he may not have actually "complained" about the Indy IV script, he may have requested a different emphasis or something of that nature. It's unlikely he hated the whole script since he's been a fan of Frank Darabont's writing for over a decade. Geez people, get a grip. People have ridiculous reactions to a vague news story and make asinine comments when they don't even have the facts.

His prequel scripts are of poor quality?

What that kind of statement REALLY means is:
    HE DIDN'T WRITE IT THE WAY I WOULD HAVE, SO IT'S BAD.

(rolls eyes)

13. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Well apparently now at AICN, Darabount has mentioned that it was indeed Lucas who didnt like what he wrote and FD wont be part of the process anymore. Speilberg just sided with Lucas due to their friendship with each other.

I believe it.

But I cant comment on "Is Lucas an idiot" about this because I havent read the script.

But Lucas is still an idiot.

14. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Well, if we believe all the rumours, I must say having a long-lost brother as a major plot device doesn't sit particularly well with me, either.

15. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    I am not a fan of the brother either.

But the brother idea was Lucas' idea. All FD is doing is the screenplay which was adapted from Lucas' general concept.

At this point, I would be surprised if the film is even made at all.

16. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    Quoted from Darabont himself:

"The short and simple version of the INDIANA JONES 4 situation is that after more than a year of working closely with Steven Spielberg developing the story, I had completed a screenplay that Steven loved and was hoping to shoot in July of this year. However, George Lucas had issues with the script and slammed on the brakes in order to rework the material himself. There is talk of enlisting another writer. Given that George is the producer, but even moreso because of their long and close friendship, Steven is deferring to George in this situation.

It is now up to them to try to find a common ground regarding the film. I wish them luck and hope their efforts result in something they're both excited about shooting. What, if anything, might remain of my work at the end of the process is anybody's guess, assuming the film even gets made at this point."

17. GeithJiseo

GeithJiseo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2003
    That sucks. I was really excited when I heard that Frank Darabont was writing the script (he wrote two of my favorite movies, Shawshank and Green Mile), and was looking forward to the movie. :(

18. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Ah well.

19. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    For all we know 90% of Darabont's script may stay intact.

Just wait for more details to emerge before getting to disappointed about the future of this movie.

20. GeithJiseo

GeithJiseo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2003
    For all we know 90% of Darabont's script may stay intact.

*crosses fingers*

21. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Personally, it wouldn't upset me if the movie never gets made. I thought it was a bad idea from the get-go.

22. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Well, no-one's forcing you to watch it.

23. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    I didn't say they were. I said I thought Indy 4 was a bad idea from the get-go.

24. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I'm kind of glad to hear Lucas is actually more involved in the story development. When I was reading about the INDY IV pre-production it seemed like the script was going to be solely written by Frank Darabont, and Spielberg was going to just shoot it with no imput at all from George. George had a hand in the stories of all three previous Indy movies and it seemed not right to me that it wasn't the case with this one, no matter what some fans may think of his creative output lately. Let's hope he is able to improve what was probably a very good draft from Darabont into something great.

25. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    << George Lucas has a nerve complaining about the script when his own Prequel scripts are of poor quality >>

Too bad that's YOUR opinion. Because there are many, many , many of us who love the PT.

But yeah, the nerve of Lucas wanting to be happy with the script for a series of movies that he brought forth with Steven. The nerve of him wanting to be happy with the script of characters and stories he created. He may not have come up with the story this time, but he still has a right to be satisfied with what goes through.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.