main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 4 script discarded by Lucas...rewrite necessary.

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by EG-88, Feb 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carl-Cunningham

Carl-Cunningham Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2004
    Darabont's script was in fact based on a story created by Lucas.

2. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    Here's the latest from Spielberg on the status of Iindy IV. He refused to comment on the Darabont issue.

After the Schindler?s List DVD event, I approached Steven Spielberg to ask about the status of Indiana Jones IV. After news that George Lucas rejected Frank Darabont?s script, the project?s status is in flux. But like a parent reassuring a scared child, Spielberg remained optimistic. ?Of course it will still happen,? Spielberg said. He would not, however, discuss the problems with Darabont?s script. ?I won?t go into it with you now, but it will definitely still happen.?

This is from About.com

3. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    And the latest still from Moviehole...

Australian screenwriter Stuart Beattie has been hired to rework the fourth "Indiana Jones" movie.

The "Pirates of the Caribbean" writer - he penned the screen story - was hired by Lucasfilm pretty much based on the success of that film. Beattie did an interview with the filmmakers magazine 'IF' and confirmed that he is indeed doing a re-write on the film.

Earlier this year, Frank Darabont was let go from the production after turning in a sequel script that didn't meet up "to either of the uber-beard's standards."

"With Beattie now attached to re-write and everything looking a lot better everyone's trying to clear their dates again - Ford, Lucas, Spielberg, Connery. Karen Allen and Kate Capshaw are part of the storyline too. Lots of reshuffling going on."

4. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Expansion on that story from IGN:

March 30, 2004 - As previously reported, the Indiana Jones IV script developed by Frank Darabont has been declined by those two bearded film moguls, Steven Spielberg and George Lucas. Apparently, the prospective screenplay didn't measure up to what the filmmakers had in mind, despite lengthy collaboration over the story.

According to Moviehole, a new writer has been brought on to re-write the screenplay. That writer is Stuart Beattie, an Australian who is relatively new to the industry. Beattie helped to write the screen story for last summer's blockbuster hit Pirates of the Caribbean, and it was apparently on that merit that he got the Indy gig.

Beattie has also been involved ? alongside Frank Darabont ? with Collateral, a Tom Cruise action thriller coming out in August.

Apparently, the fourth Indiana Jones is getting back on schedule with the acquisition of Beattie. Lucas, Spielberg, Harrison Ford, Sean Connery, Karen Allen (Raiders of the Lost Ark), and Kate Capshaw (The Temple of Doom) are all setting aside a date for the film.

5. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    The Indy problems are becoming more and more like the supposed Superman movie problems.

I doubt either will get made fairly soon...but Indy has a limit (Ford aint getting any younger).

6. skyy38

skyy38 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2003
    Correction to that "Coming Attractions" article.
    Harrison Ford was born in 1942,therefore he will be 63 in 2005.
    Obviously sloppy research.

7. JediMasterDylan

JediMasterDylan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 8, 2003
    :(

Makes me sick. Worst film news of the year. The writer of the Shawshank Redemption and a collaborator on the Young Indy series (think of it what you will, this is the MOVIE with Spielberg, not the TV show) which made him a natural gets cut out of the picture for one of Pirate's script writers? The mind boggles. Hey maybe that way Indy 4 can be made into an amusement park ride, right George? More action, less talk = more toys!

Guess the movie just wasn't moving FAST ENOUGH for GL, everything has gotta be lightning speed with that guy. Cut all of Padme's family scenes, cut young Owen down to a bit part, ect. ect. because.... "I just thought the movie wasn't moving fast enough in this part. I really wanted to get to so-and-so scene faster." Blah blah.

Don't forget the advice that Kershner gave ya George on ESB: the audience has to be able to slow down a moment and look into the actors' eyes.

8. Madcaplaughs

Madcaplaughs Jedi Master

May 7, 2004
    Why is everyone touting FD's writing abilty? Stephen King wrote Shawshank and Green Mile. Darabont adapted the stories into a screenplay. If anything his talent lies in directing not writing. This shouldn't be made into such a big deal. It's Lucas and Spielberg's thing. Let them decide what they want.

9. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    I've never been crazy about Frank Darabont's writing myself. I think he's a good director, but as a writer I think he's overrated. He goes for sentimentality much too often for my taste.

I thought the script for "Pirates" was good, and the style more in tune with the Indy movies than Darabont's style. So I'm glad they brought Beattie on board.

I'm still not so sure that Indy IV is a good idea in and of itself, though.

There's a parallel here. Lucas asked a highly acclaimed writer, Leigh Brackett, to write the script for ESB, but what she wrote was not what he wanted, so he brought in another writer: Lawrence Kasdan. (I've yet to see a prequel basher criticize him for that decision.) Similarly, Frank Darabont's Indy IV script was not what he wanted, so he brought in another writer: Stuart Beattie.

Just because one writer is highly acclaimed, and you think Lucas's scripts suck, does not mean that Lucas had no right to discard said writer's script, or that it was a bad decision. It seems to me that some people are simply using this as another excuse to slam Lucas: "How dare he throw out Darabont's script when his own scripts sucked?"

10. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    Guess the movie just wasn't moving FAST ENOUGH for GL, everything has gotta be lightning speed with that guy. Cut all of Padme's family scenes, cut young Owen down to a bit part, ect. ect. because.... "I just thought the movie wasn't moving fast enough in this part. I really wanted to get to so-and-so scene faster." Blah blah.

Don't forget the advice that Kershner gave ya George on ESB: the audience has to be able to slow down a moment and look into the actors' eyes.

Wow. Talk about drawing your own conclusions. [face_plain] Take a deep breath.

11. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Guess the movie just wasn't moving FAST ENOUGH for GL, everything has gotta be lightning speed with that guy.

You have no idea why he rejected the script. So how can you say it was because it wasn't moving fast enough for him?

Cut all of Padme's family scenes, cut young Owen down to a bit part,

Because Owen is such a major character, huh? You can see that by the way he dominates the story in ANH.

ect. ect. because.... "I just thought the movie wasn't moving fast enough in this part. I really wanted to get to so-and-so scene faster." Blah blah.

You said it, not GL.

Uh huh. GL does precisely that with TPM and people screech that the film is "too slow" and "boring" and "has no action...isn't SW supposed to be about action?"

12. BabaORileyFett

BabaORileyFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    Here's the latest on Indy IV from Dark Horizons:

Darabont - "Indy 4" Still Alive?
    Posted: Sunday July 11th, 2004 10:23am (Au-EST)

Author: Garth Franklin
    Source: IGN.com

A while back it was announced that a fourth "Indiana Jones" project was dead. Frank Darabont who had been working on the script for ages got approval from most - bar George Lucas, and that non-commital officially seemed to sink the project (unofficially there was more than that but can't be disclosed).

Well, now Darabont is fanning the flames again. In an interview with IGN Filmforce during a press event for "The Bourne Supremacy", Marshall says that the project is still very much alive, despite continual delays and rumors that the parties involved have given up - "Indiana Jones IV is still in the writing stages; it's still a live project and Mr. Lucas is working on the script at this time". So is Lucas writing it himself? "No. There is a writer on the project... I won't go there".

It's been revealed that the reason Lucas rejected Darabont's draft was that "the character-driven story needed a faster pace". No comment was made on Net rumours that "Pirates of the Caribbean" scribe Stuart Beattie is working on a draft.

Thus the big question now is when can we expect more movement on the project? "Well I think that, obviously, we don't want to do this movie unless it's going to be great. There's only the downside of it if we perceive it as something we all don't feel is worthy. Now we're working on that last third. We'll all get our schedules together again but it's not gonna be for another year or so"

Thanks to 'Aaron'

13. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I like the fact that they're taking their time with the project, wanting everything to be perfect. It needs to be done right, not fast. Who cares how old Ford will be by the time they start filming? Connery was about his age in Last Crusade, and he was still mighty bad-ass. Indy's a man of flesh and blood, he ages... It'll be interesting to find out what he's been up to for the last twenty somewhat years.

14. BabaORileyFett

BabaORileyFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    I agree with you totally, Gabe.

I hold the Indy trilogy very dearly to my heart. Anything less than great will leave me disappointed.

Spielberg is still at the top of his game. Lucas is always coming up with interesting ideas. This film could very well live up to its mighty legacy. I sincerely hope so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.