main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 4: Shot digitally or film?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by MadMardigan, Jun 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    We all know Lucas' love affair with digital photography. I would assume he would want Indy 4 shot digitally. Yet Spielberg claims he will never shoot on anything other than film.

Who will win this decision? Who should win this decision?

My bet. Lucas defers to Spielberg.

2. Cigam Retah

Cigam Retah Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 1999
    Well, Lucas is the 'Rick' of the pair, so I'm assuming the 'Berg will call the shots.

3. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    After reading this, I say FILM!

Damn, Snow Board GOT TO FIX this CRAP!!! [face_plain]

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Movies&action=page&type_id=&cat_id=270338&obj_id=34841

Copy & Paste... delete the %20 part [face_plain]

Why can't a damn board not accepting long URLS?

4. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Well Spielberg stated recently that he would always shoot in film, even after seeing AOTC digital and prasing it he still prefers celuloid.

As far as the long URLs, some boards cant handle some of the the formatting done on dynamic pages, maybe it's the semicolon near the end of the URL. Actually it looks like there is space ther that would definately screw it.

5. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    It'll be shot on film and edited on the upright, as Spielberg and Michael Kahn don't even use an AVID. Paramount's footing the bill, so what does Lucas care? I don't think he'll have much to do with the movie until Spielberg completes the director's cut.

6. Fearless_Leader

Fearless_Leader Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2001
    Or Spielberg will shoot it on film and have Lucas edit it (ala Jurassic Park).

7. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    I don't see how Lucas will have time in the day, as it seems both movies are headed on a collision course, finishing around the same time. I think Michael Kahn will do most of the editing. I have friends who worked in post on all of Spielberg's recent films and they unanimously agree that on his "entertainment" films, he's almost a non entity. Michael Kahn edits them and Spielberg comes in to look at cuts and make changes, but he doesn't stand over the shoulder of anyone. This goes into the mixing stage, as well.

There's only so many hours in the day for Lucas to deal with EP 3 and INDY 4. I don't think he's terribly worried about Indy 4. He should be about Ep 3.

8. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    This article at spielbergfilms.com is rather interesting. I wonder who will get their own way?

9. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    I'd love to see Indy 4 shot on digital. I've already seen a digital showing of AOTC and was very impressed. The problem is Spielberg has said many times he does not want to shoot digitally. He loves film and will likely be using it as long as possible. He won't shoot a film digitally and because he's a director, he'll likely win on this issue involving Indy 4. Maybe GL can work on getting some kind of compromise. It'll be a fight, no doubt but it will be resolved before filming starts.

10. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    As long as Spielberg's in the director's chair, it won't be shot with digital cameras. And I have no problems with that. It should look great shot on film, especially if Janusz Kaminski is hired to be DP.

11. Sabreman

Sabreman Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2001
    Indy 4 should definitely be shot on film. I wish Episode III were being shot on film, but unfortunately that's not going to happen. :(

12. Ardens_Furore

Ardens_Furore Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    Spielberg sees film as part of his artistic tools. Lucas sees film as a means to an end, and he'll gladly get rid of it when something better comes along.

Personally, for a movie (can't use "film anymore) like AOTC and Episode III, digital is best. These movies are trying to create a world. They're not trying to have the classic feel of film or to have the so-called "liveliness" of film. They're trying to be the most clear representation of the Star Wars universe.

On the other hand, a film that's aspiring to be a work of art as a film will probably be best shot on film, because that's part of that type of artwork.

13. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Spielberg doesn't have much experience shooting in digital, so I would imagine that Lucas will let him shoot on film. It doesn't matter when none of the theaters in my area will have a digital projector for the nest 5 years, so what do I care.

14. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    Well looks like Spielberg is willing to concede digital cinematography to Lucas for Indy 4. Don't like the idea. The Indy trilogy look like films made from a bygone a era. Digital will never be able to recreate this look.

See the full story here

15. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    There Ought to Be Clones
    Michael Boland, 10.07.02

Why doesn't anyone else do what Lucas does?
    George Lucas' filmmaking innovations have helped make him a regular on the Forbes billionaire list.

So why isn't anyone in Hollywood, an industry well versed in copycat strategies, trying to follow in his footsteps?

Lucas' willingness to take risks has resulted in seven successful spin-off companies and divisions of Lucasfilm, which brought in estimated revenues of $1.5 billion in 2001, according to research firm Hoover's. In 1977 he pioneered computerized special effects using miniature models to simulate action. That technique caught on quickly in the industry. His visual effects house, Industrial Light & Magic (ILM), was first to incorporate computer graphics in 1982. And the theater sound standard THX, another of Lucas' ventures, generates 54% higher box-office revenue than the industry average.

"No other product in the world has the potential for more cash returns over such short periods than a successful movie," says Rick McCallum, producer of the latest Lucas endeavor, Star Wars: Episode II. Yet Hollywood film companies have spent some $10 million total on R&D in the past 100 years. McCallum attributes Hollywood's unwillingness to invest in R&D to its conservative nature.

Lucas' latest crusade in the filmmaking industry is his effort to go totally digital.

Lucas and McCallum recently met with Sony to check on the progress of the first 10-megapixel digital camera, which is being built for Episode III of the Star Wars saga. Lucas is convinced that the new camera will produce such high quality that others in Hollywood will be forced to follow suit.

"It's happening slower than we want it to," says McCallum, "but it's going to happen."

------------------------

Make any difference?

16. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    Lucas won't interfer with Spielberg's creativity. Indy IV is sure to do well. There is no reason to shoot it digitally. AOTC was an experiment. Lucas was hoping to push the envelop. He had planned that out since the filmming of TPM. There is no such planning with Indy IV.

17. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    From TF.N main page.

`Oh yeah, Rick McCallum confirmed that Steven Speilberg has agreed to shoot Indy 4 digitally, but told us that he would rather have Spielberg be the one to break the news to us. They also mentioned that they have developed and even better digital camera to capture Episode III on.'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.