main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 4 To Shoot In Hawaii - Photo SPOLIERS

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Gobi-1, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    From Hawaii Film & Video.com

Tim Ryan?s Reel Hawaii
    Hawaii Film & Video Magazine

Indiana Jones to Swing Back Through Hawaii in Sequel
    Production executives, including producer Kathleen Kennedy, have scouted Hawaii locations for part of the Indiana Jones 4 sequel, which begins filming in Connecticut next month June. Sources said a portion of the film will be shot here and likely include the Big Island. BI officials declined comment. Shia LaBeouf, who appears in the film, told Hawaii Film & Video that ?there will be a little bit of filming in Hawaii but I don?t know exactly when.? The production is sooo top secret that studio execs and the Hawaii production community refer to it as The Untitled Generic Project. David Koepp, who wrote the screenplay, is no stranger to Hawaii, having written the original Jurassic Park (1993) and the (1997) sequel The Lost World: Jurassic Park. Steven Spielberg will direct the film for a May 22, 2008 release?

Speilberg likes to shoot there. Why film jungle scenes in a remote Central/South American location when you can go to Hawaii instead?

2. bluesaber70

bluesaber70 Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2007
    There must be some sort of jungle shoot there. I can't imagin he would film a volcano. But, we don't have enough info yet.

3. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    As long as it isn't an island with polar bears and smoke monsters I am all for it. Not that there's anything wrong with LOST.

4. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Speilberg likes to shoot there. Why film jungle scenes in a remote Central/South American location when you can go to Hawaii instead?

Exactly! I seem to remember reading somewhere Spielberg had considered shooting the jungle scenes in the first Jurassic Park in some deep, remote area of South America or something, and then decided on Hawaii because "heck, I wanted to be able to stay in a comfortable hotel with room service and a pool!" :) I don't blame him.

5. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    Yep that's exactly whay I'm talking about.

From The Making of Jurassic Park by Don Shay and Jody Duncan; Pages 46 and 47:

To provide the vistas that would lend verisimilitude to the interior sets, three weeks of location photography would be needed in a tropical local akin to Crichton's island off Costa Rica. Costa Rica itself was considered briefly, but then rejected when the production schedule coincided with the region's rainy season. Puerto Rico was a serious contender. But eventually chosen was the Hawaiian island of Kauai. Spielberg was upfront about his reason for selecting the island paradise. "I think it was my age. Had I been twenty-six instead of forty-five, I might have gone to Yucatan or the Philippines or Costa Rica - someplace really rugged. But the idea of staying in a nice Hawaiian hotel with room service and a pool for the weekend was very appealing. Fortunately, Hawaii had beautiful, lush tropical locations that were every bit as good, or better, than out other alternatives in South America or Mexico."

Since Steven, George and Harrison are all in they're 60s now the key words are "room service, senior discount, and early bird special." We won't be seeing them climbing up the side of a mountian to shoot this movie.

6. Renno_Skywalker

Renno_Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2007
    Unless Harrison Ford is climbing up a mountain. Isn't there going to be action in this movie?

I just can't get that awesome stunt scene out of my mind, the one from "Raiders": Indy trailing along at the end of the big army truck, holding onto that whip! I'm glad they got that preserved on film.

7. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

I think Harrison will consider it a point of honor to do a few tough
    scenes just to let people know he still "has it."

I think by comparison Harrison will make Shia Lebeouf look Billy
    Crystal compared to his Jack Palance. Harrison's the man.

8. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    I kid, I kid. Harrison's going to be physical but probably not to the degree he was in Raiders of the Lost Ark or the previous films. Personally I'd like to see another shoot out. And for Indy to bring himself some extra ammo.

9. bluesaber70

bluesaber70 Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2007
    I thought I read a short time ago that Ford is still going to do the bulk of his own stunts. Which is fine if he's able to do them. It does give the films a more realistic feel to them.

10. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    From IGN.com

Indy Gets Leied
    Filming on the Big Island in August.
    by IGN Staff

June 22, 2007 - Unless you've been off world for the past few weeks, you'll know that the fourth installment of Indiana Jones has, at long last, started filming. Shooting is taking place in New Haven, Connecticut and Deming, New Mexico, and now confirmation of another shooting location has come our way.

The Hawaii Tribune-Herald reveals that Indy filming will take place along Hamakua Coast, located on the Big Island of Hawaii.

Lucasfilm has reportedly opened a production office in Hilo where the movie is expected to shoot for three weeks in August. Nothing further is known about the Hawaii filming.

The paper spoke with publicist Deb Wuliger, currently with the production in New Mexico, who declined to give more information about the movie, but commented plenty on the high level of secrecy surrounding the project. "Everybody's excited about the project and we're really excited about going to shoot on location, and we also want to be able to preserve a bit of surprise when people plop down their -- I don't know what ticket prices are in Hawaii, but in L.A. it's $12 -- come next May. So we're really trying to keep everything to a minimum," she says.

"The attempt is to preserve the integrity of the story and to preserve the experience with the audience. We're going through a period of time where information travels so fast and people put things together so quickly that before a movie can be released, people are reading about it. ... The thing about the Internet is that when there are spoilers, at least they announce it, so people can choose how to look. But the (mainstream media), that's not how they do news. ... The problem is that there's no longer any such thing as a 'local story.' People piece them all together and it's a different world and we're trying to learn how to deal with that."

If anyone can preserve the surprises until the film's May 22, 2008 release, it's George Lucas and Steven Spielberg. Of course, we'll do our best to dig up a few bones for ya, so keep it right here on IGN!

11. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    Maybe the bad guys in this one are members of the DHARMA Initative! :eek:

12. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    From the Hawaii Tribune Herald

Isle abuzz over new 'Indy' film

Sunday, July 1, 2007 8:36 AM HST
    Some residents to be in movie as filming on the Big Isle moved up to mid-July
    by John Burnett
    Tribune-Herald Staff Writer

At least one area casting call has taken place for the fourth installment of the Indiana Jones adventure films.

Tim Ryan, executive editor of Hawaii Film & Video Magazine, reported Wednesday in his blog, "Tim Ryan's Reel Hawaii," that Laura Bollinger of Big Island Casting in Kona held a recent casting call through the Hawaii offices of the Screen Actors Guild seeking "Eastern European military-looking males for an action sequence to be shot in Hilo 'in mid-July' for Indy."

One of the opening sequences of the film will have the archaeologist/adventurer Jones, played by Harrison Ford, in a fight sequence with Russian soldiers, Ryan wrote -- a scenario reminiscent of the video game "Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine."

That would also be consistent with a blog entry on Movieweb.com by a "CLReif 87," who wrote that her husband, a soldier, whom she described as "a blonde hair, blue eyed, tall, bulky guy -- like the Mad Russian in the Rocky movies (Dolph Lundgren)" -- and six Army mates were extras on the set when filming opened in Deming, N.M., which was festooned to resemble Morocco in the mid-20th century.

Bollinger confirmed the union casting call to the Tribune-Herald on Thursday, saying "I still have a few parts to cast." She declined to elaborate, referring the HTH to the production office in Hilo, which also refused comment.

Unit publicist Deb Wuliger said Saturday that the mid-July time frame for local filming is correct, but that open casting calls for extras "are not in the plan as far as I know."

The film, directed by Steven Spielberg with George Lucas as executive director, is as yet untitled, but the Las Cruces, N.M., Sun-News has reported that the working title is "Indiana Jones and the City of the Gods."

Filming has wrapped in New Mexico and is currently going on in New Haven, Conn., where College Street, according to the New Haven Independent, was decorated to turn the clock back a half-century, with parking meters removed, streetlights changed and street signs changed to turn New Haven into Bedford and Yale University into Marshall College. Vintage cars from 1945 to '55 were brought in, and the stunt doubles and extras filming a chase scene there Thursday were costumed in the clothes of the period.

One stunt double reportedly fell off a motorcycle during a chase scene. It is not known whether the tumble was intentional, but according to New Haven Fire Chief Michael Grant, the man was taken to the hospital "cut up" and "semi-conscious."

Ford, meanwhile, was in Yale's William L. Harkness Hall for a lecture scene. Other confirmed credited cast members are Cate Blanchett, John Hurt, Ray Winstone, Jim Broadbent and Shia LaBeouf.

13. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    [face_laugh] Check This Out.

14. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
  15. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    Update from Hawaii Film & Video.com

Tim Ryan?s Reel Hawaii

New Indiana Jones Adventure To Begin Filming in Hilo
    Action! The director has landed! Stephen Spielberg arrived in a private jet yesterday Sunday, 7/8, to begin filming as early as Wednesday 7/11 on ? code name - The Untitled Genre Project in ?a deep heavy bush location? mauka of Hilo town. Spielberg and company are scouting today 7/9 and the actors will rehearse only tomorrow 7/10 before day one filming begins?

The Untitled Genre Project is the Indiana Jones IV sequel. Producer Frank Marshall confirmed as much in an interview last week with the New Haven Register saying that following filming in New Haven, Conn., the production moves to Hawaii then Los Angeles. Marshall also said Connecticut?s 30-percent business tax credit had a lot to do with the production filming in New Haven. The production spent between $8 million and $9 million in the New Haven area during the June 28 to July 7 filming, Marshall said?FYI: Harrison Ford - turns 65 on Friday the 13th?

The production has rented production equipment from Oahu including grip trucks, and hair-and-makeup and wardrobe trailers?Though Big Island filming for Indy IV originally was two weeks, it looks like another week has been added, sources said?The production has reserved 300 rooms in and around Hilo, including at the Hilo Hawaiian, Naniloa Volcanoes Resort and most smaller hotels?High end homes for the major actors and production executives have been very difficult to find on the Hilo side?Of the 300 cast, crew, executives and other workers on the Big Island for Indy IV only about 20 are local?

Indy IV?s unit publicist Deb Wuliger served the same job on Spielberg?s War of the World (2005)?

16. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    Indiana Jones 4 producers Frank Marshall and Kathleen Kennedy held a press conference yesterday in Hawaii where they gave some details to the filming that is taking place there. The Raider.net has put together a great new report bringing together several new articles that covered the conference and information about the film.

http://www.theraider.net/news/fullstory_indy4.php?id=263

17. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Interesting report from Hawaii. All this talk about a major action scene rivaling the truck chase in Raiders has me really excited. I can't wait to see what that's all about. This keeps getting better and better. ;)

18. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    The thought of an action scene on the level of the truck chase has me drooling. If I was to guess I would say it could be a boat chase that ends with someone going over a water fall.

19. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    Hmm... if so, reminds me of the scene from that recent movie "Blood Orchid" or whatever it was called, which was filmed in South East Asia, featuring a scene where the river boat went over a waterfall.

20. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    Update from Hawaii Film & Video.com

Tim Ryan?s Reel Hawaii

Indiana Jones? Aloha to Hawaii Was in Spending Major $$$$$$$$
    July 25th, 2007

Indiana Jones IV?s first unit wrapped last Thursday 7/19 after nearly three weeks of filming on the Big Island and will finish the shooting in Los Angeles. Second unit wraps in about two weeks. The Hamakua coast locations served as a South American rain forest. The production spent about $15 million in Hawaii, not including some $3 million in shipping equipment and sets from Los Angeles and Oahu to the Big Island, said producer Kathleen Kennedy. The Big Island won out over some 15 countries for its ?old-growth jungle.? As previously reported in Hawaii Film & Video Magazine, one of the main reasons producer/director Stephen Spielberg and company selected Hawaii as a location was its year-old Act 88 financial incentive law. The act provides that 20 percent of all expenditures on a neighbor island are rebated to the production. (The figure is 15 percent for expenditures on Oahu.) Indiana IV had a crew of about 400 - 125 local, according to the production?The film is the Big Island?s second largest production after Universal?s Waterworld in 1993. 20 percent of Indiana Jones? scenes are on the Big Island with about 50 percent in Los Angeles studios?

I'm guessing the production is now heading to Los Angeles to shoot studio work.

21. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Yay! It's great to finally hear something from Hawaii, even if it is to say that they have wrapped shooting over there. I've been going through withdraw with the lack of updates. :p

Hopefully we will get more updates once filming continues in LA.

22. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    From the Hawaii Tribune-Herald

INTO THE SUNSET

Thursday, July 26, 2007 9:44 AM HST
    'Indiana Jones' gone, but not forgotten
    by John Burnett
    Tribune-Herald Staff Writer

As quietly as they came, they left.

The production crew for the fourth installment of the Indiana Jones adventures wrapped shooting Saturday after 11 days of filming on the Big Island and returned to Los Angeles, where production has resumed.

"Everybody left on Sunday," film publicist Deb Wuliger confirmed.

The location shoot went quite smoothly, according to county film commissioner John Mason. "I was told that everything was on time and on budget," he said. The Lucasfilm/Paramount production is scheduled for release May 22, 2008.

Denis L. Stewart, a co-producer of the film, who also worked with director Steven Spielberg on "Amistad" and "Munich," said that the former Hurricane Cosme, which had been downgraded to a tropical storm by the time it passed south of island late last week, caused filmmakers to adjust their schedule.

"We did change our schedule so we didn't get caught up in it just in case it turned into a real tropical storm or even worse, a hurricane," Stewart said. "The first unit with Steven and all of the leads left the island a day early.

"Everything else we did was right on schedule and we had fantastic weather."
    The filmmakers set up their base of operations and did much of the filming on Shipman Estate property in Keaau. A scene involving a Russian amphibious vehicle was set up at Kulaniapia Falls, a secluded 120-foot waterfall on a bed-and-breakfast property mauka of the Wainaku neighborhood of Hilo. Mason said that the storm may have caused the filmmakers to forego that scene. A source who asked not to be identified told the Tribune-Herald that at one point, the amphibious vehicle was in the pond beneath the falls.

Stewart said that the rigorous shooting schedule on the Big Island left the cast and crew little time to themselves.

"We arrived here and started shooting the next day," he said. "We only had one day off while we were there. It was our third state. We shot first in New Mexico and then in Connecticut and flew all the way across country and over to Hawaii. So by the time most of the people got there with their one day off, most of the crew just relaxed and got as much rest as they could.

"I know a lot of people drove up to the volcano. I did and took a look around and enjoyed that. Unfortunately, and I've heard some people complain about it -- there's lava flowing now, right? Everybody that's here now is disappointed that we didn't get to see it. Everybody would have loved to have been a part of that."

One momentous occasion during the shoot was the 65th birthday of Harrison Ford, who plays the archaeologist and adventurer Jones, on July 13. He had a quiet but star-studded celebration in a private residence in Pepeekeo, according to Scott Cate, a bartender at the Emerald Orchid restaurant in Hilo, who also tended bar at the party.

"It was a nice birthday celebration," Cate said. "Steven Spielberg, Cate Blanchett and Karen Allen were all there."

Cate said that "about 25 people and kids" were present to honor the film icon, saying that she did have a conversation with Ford, "mostly small talk." Apparently Ford enjoyed the service. He and longtime fiancée Calista Flockhart, who currently stars as Kitty Walker in the ABC-TV series "Brothers and Sisters," dropped in to the Emerald Orchid for Sunday lunch two days later.

"It was great," Cate said. "They were so nice; it was a lot of fun."

Cool little nugget about the Russian amphibious vehicle. I'm hoping for a hovercraft.

23. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    Russian soldiers in a South American jungle environment? Hm, let me see if I can piece this together...IIRC, the production in New Mexico is supposed to double as the Sahara... so this movie's going to span across 3 continents so far? Not too shabby.

24. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    SPOILERS! Arial Photos of Indy 4 Hawaiian Set
    from Harrison Ford Web

August 19, 2007
    THUMB SIZE NEW HAWAII SET PICS

Those of you in possession of an account with EastNews may consider yourselves lucky: the Russian photo agency has a bunch of new shots from the Hawaii set of Indiana Jones 4. We're not among the lucky, so here are the thumbnails only:

SPOILERS!

http://www.hfm2.com/hawaii/hawaii_airview01.jpg
    http://www.hfm2.com/hawaii/hawaii_airview02.jpg
    http://www.hfm2.com/hawaii/hawaii_airview03.jpg
    http://www.hfm2.com/hawaii/hawaii_airview04.jpg
    http://www.hfm2.com/hawaii/hawaii_airview05.jpg
    http://www.hfm2.com/hawaii/hawaii_airview06.jpg
    http://www.hfm2.com/hawaii/hawaii_airview07.jpg
    http://www.hfm2.com/hawaii/hawaii_airview08.jpg
    http://www.hfm2.com/hawaii/hawaii_airview09.jpg
    http://www.hfm2.com/hawaii/hawaii_airview10.jpg

[hl=black]Look at that jeep/bull dozer with the buzz saws on the front.[/hl] [face_shock] [face_cool]

25. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    Looks like a mining vehicle of sorts. Or maybe for clearing large patches of jungle for an airstrip?

So:
    Russians, in South America, mining for something? [face_thinking]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.