main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I can't really be too enthused about Indy V right now after Indy IV. BUT, I might change my mind as the film creeps closer. Right now I am pretty indifferent about it. I will have to wait and see.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    It's an odd-numbered one, you know it'll be great :p

*For the record I liked Indy 4.

CaptainRegor and B99 like this.
  3. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Here's what Indiana Jones 5 should be:

[​IMG]

4. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    In some ways, I'm not too surprised, because Spielberg's schedule has become rather crowded in the next year or so. I think there's like three films that he's been attached to direct that were announced since Indy 5's original release date was set, although none are really big budget films. The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara was most likely going to be his next film, but the recently announced Pentagon Papers film, with Tom Hanks, has been fast tracked and is aiming for a limited release at the end of the year. That means the latter film will probably start shooting very soon, with Edgardo Mortara shooting sometime in 2018. Add in a few other projects he's been circling, the post-production of Ready Player One, and his usual assortment of producer credits, and you'll see that Spielberg remains a very busy filmmaker.

That said, I am now somewhat worried that pushing the film back an additional year may jeopardize the entire project altogether. I really wanted one last film with Harrison Ford, and I'm still hoping Indy 5 will happen, but the additional year means that this may not start shooting until 2019, which is still a good ways off. The pessimist in me is saying Disney is just pushing this back to eventually just bypass the project and reboot the series in a "respectful" way.

The optimist in me hopes that the rumors were true that Ford's Episode VII contract included two new Indy films, and that maybe they'll shoot two films back-to-back :cool:

5. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    I really have a hard time seeing a 78 year old Harrison Ford carrying the role in Indy 5.

I would rather they do it Godfather Part II style - split the story between two eras. The "present" would be 1969, where an aging Professor Jones solves the final pieces of an adventure that he failed to complete in the 1930s. Then flash back to the 1930s with a younger Jones doing all the action. Then continue the series in the "past" with the younger actor.

6. fastcooljosh

fastcooljosh Jedi Master star 2

Mar 15, 2017
    http://collider.com/indiana-jones-5-george-lucas-david-koepp/

Koepp says he isnt involved.

So whos right here ? [face_thinking]

for the record I really hope George is involved somehow.

CaptainRegor likes this.
  7. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Wow you guys are downers. I can't friggin wait. I don't care how old Harrison Ford is, he'll always be awesome. Sounds like nothing but great to me.

8. MrMojoRisin

Jun 20, 2005
    Me too.

Gobi-1 likes this.
  9. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Me too! Kinda! But he really isn't involved in the SW films so..

10. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Can't wait!!

christophero30 likes this.
  11. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Guest starring Billy Dee Williams?

Gobi-1 likes this.
  12. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Only question.. Is JW doing the music??!!

Sarge likes this.
  13. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    It is just one more year, which is understandable given Spielberg's current juggling of multiple projects. I have zero enthusiasm for -- along with an at-length argument against -- the recasting of a younger Indy. So the news in question only means the further delay of such a gutting, even it is ultimately and sadly inevitable. My only real objection for the time being concerns the alleged absence of Lucas altogether.

Though, it should also be said that an Indiana Jones movie without John Williams is likewise neutered, and seeing as how the composer is already 85, and not getting any younger, well ...I just hope he's still living working by that time.

ZodaEX likes this.
  14. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    That's the plan.

15. MrMojoRisin

Jun 20, 2005
  16. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    NOICE!

17. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I hope they use to time to get a new writer. Bringing back Koepp after the atrocious Indy 4 script (in addition to all of his other non-Spider-Man, non-Jurassic Park 1 scripts) was a huge mistake.

Miles Lodson likes this.
  18. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Hopefully Indy dies at the end saving the world and that's it. No more sequels, no spin-offs.

19. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I've been thinking of this exact plotline for years. Either this, or a "last ride" story where Indy pulls a job to leave behind enough wealth for his family when he's gone, an adventure that relies upon his brains while other characters pull the physical weight of the story. But my preference is for the split-timeline story, which would allow for a backdoor reboot to start, as subsequent films could star the new actor. The only thing is I don't know how much Ford would go for this, especially considering how lukewarm he seems regarding the Han Solo film. But he has always been more fond of Indiana Jones, so maybe he'll be more willing to see that character outlive him on the screen?

Darth Nave likes this.
  20. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I think part of the plot of Indy 5 will be the University trying to force him into retirement and him not wanting to step down. It really depends on when they set the film. Indiana Jones, the character, was born on July 1, 1899. So Indy's and Harrison's ages in the previous films are as follows:
    • Raiders of the Lost Ark (1936, Indy, 37 years old, Harrison, 38 years old )
    • Temple of Doom (1935, Indy, 36 years old, Harrison, 41 years old)
    • The Last Crusade (1938, 39 years old, Harrison, 46 years old)
    • Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (1957, 58 years old, Harrison 65 years old)
    The only time Harrison played Indy around his own age was in Raiders. Other wise he's played the character 5 to 7 years young then his own age. Harrison will be 76 or 77 by the time they film Indy 5 so the character could be anywhere from 69 years old to Ford's own current age. That could put the film from 1968 to 1976 if they follow the trend Personally I don't think they shouldn't go past 1962 but I don't know if they can fudge the age difference between Indy and Harrison by a decade and half if they wanted to keep it in the late 50s or early 60s.

I think 1969 could be an interesting year to put it in. Indiana Jones would be 70 years old and man would have just landed on the moon. It would be interesting to contrast Indy as ancient history compared to current events. I remember reading that Charles Lindbergh was present at the launch of Apollo 11. Might Indiana Jones also be there? However I also don't want it turning into Austin Powers which is why I prefer a lat 50s early 60s setting.

21. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    If the film is set sometime in the late sixties, who wants to bet that Disney will use that big time gap as an excuse for both Marion and Mutt to have left Indy.

Indy: I was married once, had a kid too though it took me a while to realise how alike we were.
    Female Protagonist: What happened?
    Indy: I treated them the way my old man would have done. We Jones' don't make for good fathers and husbands

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  22. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I haven't heard anything regarding Lucas being absent. Spielberg always said he only does Indy movies if George is involved.

B99 likes this.
  23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He's doing one now. Besides, he said that decades ago. If Lucas was involved, it would have been announced already.

24. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I really think it's too early to jump to conclusions.

Anyway such a thing would be out of character for Spielberg.

25. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    Weeeeellll, about that http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/indiana-jones-5-enlists-crystal-876684