main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    In between KOTCS and Indy 5, Indy will have divorced Marion and disowned Mutt..............still a continuation ;)

2. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Maybe they had to put Mutt down between films.

BigAl6ft6 and leiamoody like this.
  3. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    Anyone else think that Spielberg will find a role for Mark Rylance, considering how he's becoming his go to muse now?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013

I was thinking the same thing. I'd welcome it.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    So would I. I liked him in Wolf Hall.

6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't mean to sound like a skeptic, but I don't know how I could see this working if they use Ford actively as Indy again as the main plot. Too many continuity issues. First of all, I have a hard time imagining Indy in his 70s running around and punching and whatnot. I know he did well as Han, but IMO Indy's adventures are a lot more physically demanding and taxing. I felt it worked in KotCS, but only just. Now, 10 years later, I don't know...

Also, the presumption is that (based on his age) the movie will take place in like the '60s or therabouts. It will definately have a very different feel than the Indiana Jones adventures we're used to.

Finally, I would think it would feel a bit odd if they didn't include Mutt (or Marion) at least in some capacity. After marrying Marion, and finding out he has a son, it would be strange to not see them at all in this one. It worked for his father and Marcus in KotCS cos they died in the 20 years or so since then-that's plausible. But this would be harder to explain away.

I would love however if they went backwards, and did a young Indiana Jones thing, with Ford "narrating" it or something. I feel that could work well-at least better than the idea of having a current timeline Indy at 70 years old, go on another adventure, now in the 60's.

Quite frankly, I just feel that some franchises are not meant to go on forever-and that's okay...

7. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    There was talk of this new one being set very close to KOTCS.

What would seem more implausible to me is if he took both his wife and son on the adventure with him. Why would he do that?

If they are going to be in it then just make it a cameo, I think its baggage they don't need, because it will hold back the story if they are an integral part of the plot. Give him someone new to be with instead of the usual sequel cliche of taking his son with him to 'pass the baton to.

I'd like to see the number of sidekicks kept to a minimum too, that was a big failing of the last one for me.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  8. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Was there? Or was it just the statement that this would continue from KotCS? Because I think that statement was just to confirm a couple of things: 1) That film is still canon, and 2) This isn't going to be a prequel to that film like ToD was to RotLA. But I don't think there's going to be much baggage. The first three films really didn't draw from each other all that much, and KotCS drew from the original three to its detriment.

9. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    Spielberg lost his touch a long time ago. Disney should had start all over with Indiana Jones.

10. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    The comment from Frank Marshall was that Indy 5 will be a continuation of KOTCS. I took that to mean it follows on right after the film. Maybe thats open to interpretation, but I hope they don't bring back Mutt or Marion for big roles. Oh and if Shia is a problem then please don't recast him.

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/04/in...s-harrison-ford-will-be-the-only-indy-292633/

11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  12. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    But can we not say that Raiders is really the only one where Indy didn't have a sidekick for at least most of the movie?

Temple had Short Round
    Crusade had Henry Sr.
    Skull had Mutt/Henry III

But perhaps I confuse the roles of sidekicks with supporting protagonists

13. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    I think my point is that in that last act of KOTCS you had the ensemble of Indy, mutt, Marion, ox and Mac all together. I felt it was too many vying for screen time and it detracts from Indy and in the end I cared for none of them.

14. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I think a cameo would be great. And I agree, no more than that. But for this new one to just be like all the others, where he has no connection to previous installments, it wouldn't make sense now. He has a wife and kid. He didn't have those "attachments" before, which is why it made sense to have that separation before. If we were just to completely ignore the two of them now, it would feel out of place. Not to mention him being married to Marion would mean there'd be no other love interest in the film. So without that, it would make sense to have her appear in some way...

I'm still reluctant to see Indy still punching his way thru adventures in his 70s now, and although it (IMO barely) worked in KOTCS, this will be 10 years later. I know the whole "passing the torch to the younger generation" thing is very been-there-done-that, but IMO I fear it's inevitable here.

I do agree with the whole sidekick thing. I for one am all for bringing back Sallah, if possible!

Either way, I am looking forward to finding out more-I try to remain optimistic about things I like. John Williams being on board is a great start! :)

Seagoat likes this.
  15. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    News Steven Spielberg confirms that a MacGuffin has been selected for Indy 5!
    [​IMG]

Written By Matt on 2016-06-08 23:08:50
    After the recent announcement of Indiana Jones 5's release date, details have been difficult to come by. The plot is still being kept tightly under wraps for now, however some developments have been slowly revealed. During a interview with Empire Magazine about his new movie 'The BFG', he detailed what stage of development the movie was on:
    "(Steven Spielberg) shows us videos of the BFG's recording session on his iPhone, looks forward to INDIANA JONES V: "We have a McGuffin, that's all I can say".
    It is extremely exciting news that Indy 5 has possibly found its central MacGuffin. While Spielberg did not give details, the MacGuffin will likely be revealed as a title is decided upon. The previous Indiana Jones films either had the MacGuffin within the title or had a hint to the identity of the fabled object.
    The MacGuffins are often supernatural in nature and possess incredible power. They also often reflect personally on Indy in regards to some facet of their nature. There have been three MacGuffins thus far, two of them being based on Judeo-Christian mythology. Crystal skull was the only one not to be directly religious. The nature of the MacGuffin may be hinted at once we learn more about the plot.
    Indiana Jones 5 will release July 19, 2019. The film will feature the return of Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones. The movie will also be directed by Steven Spielberg. Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall will also return to produce.
    Source: Empire Magazine
    Keywords:
    also,

from cinema blend,
    Indiana Jones 5 Is Definitely Bringing Back A Key Player
    By Mike Reyes
    2 days ago
    0 Comments

When you think of Indiana Jones, there's a short list of people you automatically recall as key contributors. Steven Spielberg has always been the directing mastermind behind the action serial throwback, with Harrison Ford playing the lead with cocksure charm and rugged wisdom since its inception. But the music, one of the most important and iconic portions of the Jones mythos, has always been written and conducted by the steady hand of maestro John Williams. Well, like clockwork, it's been announced tonight that Williams will be returning for Indiana Jones 5!
    During an American Film Institute tribute to six decades of Williams' work, Steven Spielberg himself spilled the beans that the legendary composer would be returning for another spin through the adventures of Dr. Henry "Indiana" Jones Jr. Scott Mantz of Access Hollywood tweeted this news out through his Twitter feed, as he was on hand for tonight's festivities. This marks John Williams' second return to a massive franchise he helped build, the first being last December's Star Wars: The Force Awakens. While Williams' workload has been less prolific than his most active periods, he's always been there for the collaborators and the series that we knew him best for.

Having John Williams on board for Indiana Jones 5is one of those facts that while you never doubted it for a second, it's nice to hear it out loud, so as to confirm its reality. With the music from Williams' talented mind setting the stage for each Indiana Jones adventure on the big screen, it's hard to imagine anyone else's music taking its place. Sure, there are folks that could very easily write something that sounds very close to his work, but as J.J. Abrams will tell you, if you have the chance to work with the man himself - you don't hesitate even for a second.
    John, formerly credited as "Johnny," Williams has been a fixture of film and television music since his debut in 1956, with an episode of Playhouse 90 marking his first musical credit. From that point on, he worked on TV shows like Checkmate and Gilligan's Island, before making the move to film music. In fact, if one were to pinpoint the one gig that defined his career, it'd probably have to be 1975's Jaws, as his work on Steven Spielberg's breakout hit not only seared every note of its iconic tune in the minds of moviegoers for decades to come, it allowed the director to suggest Williams for a project a friend of his was working on. That project happened to be a little film named Star Wars, which would have been stuck with public domain classical music cues scoring the film, if not for the glowing recommendation.
    With John Williams being locked in for Indiana Jones 5, we can now turn our minds to speculating what the film will be about, and who will join the holy trinity of the series as they ride off into the adventurous horizon yet again. Indiana Jones 5 dons its fedora and swings into theaters on its whip of excitement on July 19, 2019

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Without the triumvirate (Lucas, Spielberg and Williams) it just won't be the same.

17. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

Spielberg is directing and Williams is composing but no George Lucas I think?

18. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Maybe the author didn't really pay attention, but there were obviously four macguffins, not three, as the Sankara stones clearly fill that role in Temple of Doom ;)

19. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

he said the only one not religious in nature was the crystal skull, the shankara stones were religious in nature, it was an Indian religious cult.

20. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    I disagree, after KOTCS I'm open to anyone giving Indy a new impetus. It doesn't have to involve solely those 3 and no one else.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Hold onto your artifacts.

Thread merge incoming.

BigAl6ft6 and Leoluca Randisi like this.
  22. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    George Lucas and Steven Spielberg talk to each other. Even though there is no official or documented source stating that Lucas is on the team, I am sure he will give his impute to Spielberg.

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    As far as movies go, it does to me. The storyteller and the director obviously being the most important.

24. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I think like the new Disney Star Wars Lucas will have nothing to do with Indy 5 and Indy beyond ...

AndyLGR likes this.
  25. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003